The Map Of Critics Groups Best Picture Choices Around America

With apologies to Nate Silver…

I’m still not over the presidential elections… so in that spirit, our first ever national critics map. I’ve broken up California and Texas. If anyone is feeling that part of their state is being misrepresented, feel free to speak up and I will address it in the next edition.

Anyone who is wanting to put in claims about which state is leaning which way is also welcome to voice that opinion.

10 Responses to “The Map Of Critics Groups Best Picture Choices Around America”

1. anoncoward says:

Unskewed polls says Last Once of Courage and The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure are clearly going to carry the day. You say tomato, I say a joke from 2 months ago.

2. Joshua says:

In case of ambiguity …

Argo: Florida, Oklahoma, Phoenix, San Diego, St. Louis

Zero Dark Thirty: Austin, Chicago, New York, Utah, plus also Washington DC (not shown on map), Boston (not shown on map)

Lincoln: Dallas/Fort Worth

Silver Linings Playbook: Detroit

The Master: San Francisco, Kansas City (shown as Kansas on map)

Safety Not Guaranteed: Indiana

Amour: Los Angeles

Life of Pi (assigned a yellowish-green color on map, but not labeled in legend): Las Vegas

3. Nevada Film Critics Society today went with Argo, so I guess just the Vegas section should be assigned Life of Pi.

4. Bitplayer says:

Anybody else think Reacher would have opened bigger with the Rock in the lead instead of Cruise? That casting also would have been a little closer to how he’s portrayed in the book. To me this was a tone deaf attempt at box office pandering, ala casting Tyler Perry in Alex Cross, and it failed miserably. I saw the trailer and a couple of people in the audience said, “when is he gonna give it up?”

5. GexL says:

The South Carolina Pee Dee Critics Association* gave it on the first ballot to Skyfall.

*covers the Florence-Myrtle Beach metro corridor, including Lake City and Olanta

6. Js Partisan says:

Yeah, “Jack Reacher” is a tremendous movie and like other people in here, the “Jack Reacher” trailer played great in my “Skyfall” screening.

7. etguild2 says:

What the hell is in the water in Indiana? I mean, cute movie and all, but in what universe is “Safety” a contender for any critics’ award?

8. palmtree says:

Ditto how I feel about SLP.

9. Krillian says:

Massachusetts, New York, Illinois, Texas and Utah all agree on Zero Dark Thirty being Best Picture. If that’s not a bipartisan collection, then Doctor Who shouldn’t have bothered forestalling our Mayan Apocalypse.

10. SamLowry says:

I concur with the WTF responses to “Safety”. If not for Aubrey Plaza I would’ve considered it a waste of my time and $1.20 rental fee. But it was still terribly predictable and I decided halfway through that a) we will see a time machine at the end, and b) it will work, for one simple reason: the machine’s creator was portrayed as “Hollywood crazy”, meaning cute and quirky and easy to like, as opposed to “bag lady crazy”, where you just want to run away from this horrific beast while trying without success to scrub their insane ramblings from your brain.

What are we doing wrong?
“Well, first of all, by “we” I assume you mean the public, the public approach or the public discourse, which means the discourse that takes place in the media. And for the purposes of this discussion, let us imagine that the media is white and thus approaches the topic of race as if they (the white people) were the answer and them (the black people) were the question. And so, in the interest of fairness, they take their turn (having first, of course, given it to themselves) and then invite comment by some different white people and some similar black people. They give what purports to be simply their point of view and then everyone else gives their beside-the-point of view.

“The customary way for white people to think about the topic of race—and it is only a topic to white people—is to ask, How would it be if I were black? But you can’t separate the “I” from being white. The “I” is so informed by the experience of being white that it is its very creation—it is this “I” in this context that is, in fact, the white man’s burden. People who think of themselves as well intentioned—which is, let’s face it, how people think of themselves—believe that the best, most compassionate, most American way to understand another person is to walk a mile in their shoes. And I think that’s conventionally the way this thing is approached. And that’s why the conversation never gets anywhere and that’s why the answers always come back wrong and the situation stays static—and worse than static.”
~ Fran Lebowitz, 1997

“If one could examine his DNA, it would read ACTOR. He embraced every role with fire and fierce dedication. Playing Bela Lugosi in Tim Burton’s Ed Wood was his loving tribute to all actors and garnered him a well-deserved Academy Award. His work was his joy and his legacy.”
~ Barbara Bain On Martin Landau