The Map Of Critics Groups Best Picture Choices Around America

With apologies to Nate Silver…

I’m still not over the presidential elections… so in that spirit, our first ever national critics map. I’ve broken up California and Texas. If anyone is feeling that part of their state is being misrepresented, feel free to speak up and I will address it in the next edition.

Anyone who is wanting to put in claims about which state is leaning which way is also welcome to voice that opinion.

10 Responses to “The Map Of Critics Groups Best Picture Choices Around America”

1. anoncoward says:

Unskewed polls says Last Once of Courage and The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure are clearly going to carry the day. You say tomato, I say a joke from 2 months ago.

2. Joshua says:

In case of ambiguity …

Argo: Florida, Oklahoma, Phoenix, San Diego, St. Louis

Zero Dark Thirty: Austin, Chicago, New York, Utah, plus also Washington DC (not shown on map), Boston (not shown on map)

Lincoln: Dallas/Fort Worth

Silver Linings Playbook: Detroit

The Master: San Francisco, Kansas City (shown as Kansas on map)

Safety Not Guaranteed: Indiana

Amour: Los Angeles

Life of Pi (assigned a yellowish-green color on map, but not labeled in legend): Las Vegas

3. Nevada Film Critics Society today went with Argo, so I guess just the Vegas section should be assigned Life of Pi.

4. Bitplayer says:

Anybody else think Reacher would have opened bigger with the Rock in the lead instead of Cruise? That casting also would have been a little closer to how he’s portrayed in the book. To me this was a tone deaf attempt at box office pandering, ala casting Tyler Perry in Alex Cross, and it failed miserably. I saw the trailer and a couple of people in the audience said, “when is he gonna give it up?”

5. GexL says:

The South Carolina Pee Dee Critics Association* gave it on the first ballot to Skyfall.

*covers the Florence-Myrtle Beach metro corridor, including Lake City and Olanta

6. Js Partisan says:

Yeah, “Jack Reacher” is a tremendous movie and like other people in here, the “Jack Reacher” trailer played great in my “Skyfall” screening.

7. etguild2 says:

What the hell is in the water in Indiana? I mean, cute movie and all, but in what universe is “Safety” a contender for any critics’ award?

8. palmtree says:

Ditto how I feel about SLP.

9. Krillian says:

Massachusetts, New York, Illinois, Texas and Utah all agree on Zero Dark Thirty being Best Picture. If that’s not a bipartisan collection, then Doctor Who shouldn’t have bothered forestalling our Mayan Apocalypse.

10. SamLowry says:

I concur with the WTF responses to “Safety”. If not for Aubrey Plaza I would’ve considered it a waste of my time and $1.20 rental fee. But it was still terribly predictable and I decided halfway through that a) we will see a time machine at the end, and b) it will work, for one simple reason: the machine’s creator was portrayed as “Hollywood crazy”, meaning cute and quirky and easy to like, as opposed to “bag lady crazy”, where you just want to run away from this horrific beast while trying without success to scrub their insane ramblings from your brain.

“With every table in the dining room occupied and me, the only waiter, neglecting the needs of a good fifty patrons, I approached Roth. Holding out Balls as a numbness set into the muscles of my face, I spoke. “Sir, I’ve heard you say that you don’t read fiction anymore, but I’ve just had my first novel published and I’d like to give you a copy.”

“His eyes lifting from his iPhone, he took the book from my hands. He congratulated me. Then, staring at the cover, he said, “Great title. I’m surprised I didn’t think of it myself.”

“These words worked on me like a hit of morphine. Like two hits. It felt as if I was no longer the occupant of my own body. The legs had gone weak, the ears warmed, the eyes watered, the heart rate increased rapidly. Barely able to keep myself upright, I told him, “Thank you.”

“Then Roth, who, the world would learn sixteen days later, was retiring from writing, said, in an even tone, with seeming sincerity, “Yeah, this is great. But I would quit while you’re ahead. Really, it’s an awful field. Just torture. Awful. You write and write, and you have to throw almost all of it away because it’s not any good. I would say just stop now. You don’t want to do this to yourself. That’s my advice to you.”

“I managed, “It’s too late, sir. There’s no turning back. I’m in.”

“Nodding slowly, he said to me, “Well then, good luck.”

“After which I went back to work.”
~ Julian Tepper

“Any form of physical or sexual assault is a very serious matter, potentially a legal matter. But I’m also wondering, what about having some kind of “extreme asshole” clause? I know lots of people who have been abused verbally and psychologically. That’s traumatizing, too. What do we do with that?  It takes a lot of energy to be an asshole. The people I admire most just aren’t interested in things that take away from their ability to make stuff. The people I really respect, and that I’ve met who fit this definition, have a sense of grace about them, because they know that there is no evolving and there is no wisdom without humility. You can’t get better if you behave in a way that shuts people off. You can’t! You don’t have all the ideas necessary to solve something. You don’t! I’m sure if you spoke to Harvey in his heyday and said to him what I just said to you, he would believe that he accomplished all that he had because of the way he behaved.”
~ Steven Soderbergh