By MCN Editor editor@moviecitynews.com

The 2012 Top Ten Lists Updated

You can see the individual lists here or click on the individual critic name for their list.

Rank Last Chart Top Tens KennyTapleyLangfieldSingerDenbyLongworthKohnTullyZacharekRapold Votes Total
1 1 Zero Dark Thirty

Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning
10 1 1
Safety Not Guaranteed
1 1
Lines of Wellington
1 1

6 Responses to “The 2012 Top Ten Lists Updated”

1. Daniella Isaacs says:

Holy Motors is rightly ascending.

2. TheFigTree says:

How many lists are used here? The 1st update was 21.

3. Andrew Sidhom says:

TheFigTree, I was wondering the same thing. Went through the voters by 10s using the “Next 10 Voters” thing and I counted 39.
    I love this site’s compilations because it doesn’t skew too obstinately arthouse and it uses a weighted average method, but I’m kind of wondering though, why are there so few lists so far?? At CriticsTop10 they have 344 lists and counting! I understand if the editors are simply busy and a little behind – I only hope everything will get added in time as this is usually my N.1 reference for movies of each year.

4. TheFigTree says:

Andrew, yeah using the “next 10 voters” button comes up with 39. At the top, it says to click to find the individual lists and when I go through them I come up with 52. It would be nicer to eventually just have 1 page with every critic and the ability to click on each one to see each critic’s list.

Also, as someone mentioned on the previous update, the point system doesn’t seem ideal, since it gives 10 times the weight for a #1 over a #10. As if critics always find a huge disparity between their selections (some don’t even rank their picks). Oh and thanks for reminding me of the criticstop10. Really interesting as well. That site just ranks on # of lists a film makes, which is another strategy. Whatever though, I just use these sites to decide what to see. My #1 reference is TSPDT but this is a close 2nd.

5. Jerry says:

I really like MCN’s scoring system since I have made my own top tens for twenty years and I can’t recall many years when where there wasn’t a massive quality difference between the first and last on my lists.

6. MarkyDee says:

When will this chart be updated? A ton of good top 10 lists have come out in the past week.

“I was 15 when I first watched Sally Hardesty escape into the back of a pickup truck, covered in blood and cackling like a goddamn witch. All of her friends were dead. She had been kidnapped, tortured and even forced to feed her own blood to her cannibalistic captors’ impossibly shriveled patriarch. Being new to the horror genre, I was sure she was going to die. It had been a few months since I survived a violent sexual assault, where I subsequently ran from my assailant, tripped, fell and fought like hell. I crawled home with bloody knees, makeup-stained cheeks and a new void in both my mind and heart. My sense of safety, my ability to trust others, my willingness to form new relationships and my love of spending time with people I cared about were all taken from me. It wasn’t until I found the original The Texas Chain Saw Massacre that something clicked. It was Sally’s strength, and her resilience. It was watching her survive blows to the head from a hammer. It was watching her break free from her bonds and burst through a glass window. It was watching her get back up after she’d been stabbed. It was watching her crawl into the back of a truck, laughing as it drove away from Leatherface. She was the last one to confront the killer, and live. I remember sitting in front of the TV and thinking, There I am. That’s me.”
~ Lauren Milici On “The Final Girl”

“‘Thriller’ enforced its own reality principle; it was there, part of the every commute, a serenade to every errand, a referent to every purchase, a fact of every life. You didn’t have to like it, you only had to acknowledge it. By July 6, 1984, when the Jacksons played the first show of their ‘Victory’ tour, in Kansas City, Missouri, Jacksonism had produced a system of commodification so complete that whatever and whoever was admitted to it instantly became a new commodity. People were no longer comsuming commodities as such things are conventionally understood (records, videos, posters, books, magazines, key rings, earrings necklaces pins buttons wigs voice-altering devices Pepsis t-shirts underwear hats scarves gloves jackets – and why were there no jeans called Bille Jeans?); they were consuming their own gestures of consumption. That is, they were consuming not a Tayloristic Michael Jackson, or any licensed facsimile, but themselves. Riding a Mobius strip of pure capitalism, that was the transubstantiation.”
~ Greil Marcus On Michael Jackson