By DP30 david@thehotbuttonl.com

DP/30: Django Unchained, actor Samuel L Jackson

Many DP/30s this year have been with Oscar-worthy actors and actresses. But in this case, at this moment in the year, I am taking the unusual step of noting here that This Actor Deserves It. None of the awards groups have recognized his performance in Django Unchained so far. But for me, it is the home run performance in this film… and one of the great turns of the year.

And as you can see in this interview, a consummate muthafucking pro….

13 Responses to “DP/30: Django Unchained, actor Samuel L Jackson”

1. sanj says:

– he is keeping it real

– really liked the last 5 minutes

– liked his 2 minute review for un named movie at 18 minutes – which is probably Gangster Squad (2013)

– no confusing questions from DP – DP let him talk …

– did he take a minor swipe at Tom Cruise ?

– what does LexG think about this interview …

– hopefully clips from this make to some tv entertainment shows

– i give this a rare 9/10

2. Djiggs says:

This is the greatest dp30 ever. Only question that I wished you asked was how did he and Spike Lee patch things up since he is working with him again on Spike’s version of Oldboy?

3. Not David Bordwell says:

Gotta confess, I generally don’t have the time or inclination to watch these interviews, but DP was so effusive in his tweets had to to check this one out. The bookends of the conversation are priceless.

SLJ declares up front that this is all part of his professional obligation, and you can see the skepticism in his entire attitude before he sits down to get to work. I don’t know if Poland is even on his radar, but here’s a guy he doesn’t really know telling him this isn’t going to be like a junket, and his face is all “yeah, whatever” and “how’s that gonna work.” And there’s a couple of moments where you can see him rearing back ready for the same old shit but Poland just lets him talk without pressing an agenda… such that at the end, he’s surprised to feel like he just had a conversation.

That purposeless expression on his face as he gazes at the camera at the end is kind of jarring, too, because he doesn’t seem to realize that he has been in the moment for a full half hour, which is where that valediction comes from when it occurs to him. And it’s still all part of the job. What a pro.

4. JacksonFan says:

Sanj, it seemed to me like he might have been referencing Killing Them Softly. Regardless, such a refreshingly candid interview, as always, from Jackson. Loved it.

5. sanj says:

it could be Killing Them Softly or Gangster Squad – DP do you know which movie he’s talking about …

Jackson really hates depressing movies – there are a lot of those which have gotten awards – would like him to review
    some – see if he changes his mind .

6. John Keefer says:

He was definitely talking about Killing Them Softly. Because I agree with him…I’d also agree with him just in general practice.

7. jon says:

One of your best.

8. Peter says:

THIS.IS.AWESOME.

Wow, 30 minutes just flew by, probably the best DP30 I have seen.

9. Geoff says:

No doubt in my mind that he is talking about Killy Them Softly but I did like that movie for the most part.

Great interview!

10. MarkVH says:

“This a ‘look at me’ fuckin’ business.” Phenomenal. Great, great interview.

11. Talie says:

I always thought he was a very easy-going, fun guy, but he has been very prickly on this particular press tour. If he doesn’t want to be out there, he shouldn’t be. But maybe part of him is hoping for Oscar attention. I mean, no one else in the film seems to be pushing as hard as he is. But he just seems very guarded and pissed. He really went in on that Jake the Movieguy in his interview.

12. Rashad says:

Yeah, this was probably my favorite DP/30. He’s an easy conversationalist. Half hour flew by.

Also, it was Killing Them Softly. From the interview on HP:

But “Pulp Fiction” is a once-in-a-lifetime-type movie.
    It’s a standalone film.

It’s hard to top.
    People have been trying to do it and trying to do it. I saw some people try to do it just a week ago and failed miserably.

Which movie is this?
    “Killing Them Softly.” It didn’t quite happen. And going nowhere! You can do that, but you’ve got to go somewhere. That’s the marvelous thing about Quentin: his movies are talky as all hell, but it’s shit you want to hear.

13. cadavra says:

Just FYI, KILLING is based on a novel by vet crime author George V. Higgins (best known for “The Friends of Eddie Coyle”), and much of the dialogue comes straight from the book.

Tsangari: With my next film, White Knuckles, it comes with a budget — it’s going to be a huge new world for me. As always when I enter into a new thing, don’t you wonder how it’s going to be and how much of yourself you are going to have to sacrifice? The ballet of all of this. I’m already imaging the choreography — not of the camera, but the choreography of actually bringing it to life. It is as fascinating as the shooting itself. I find the producing as exciting as the directing. The one informs the other. There is this producer-director hat that I constantly wear. I’ve been thinking about these early auteurs, like Howard Hawks and John Ford and Preston Sturges—all of these guys basically were hired by the studio, and I doubt they had final cut, and somehow they had films that now we can say they had their signatures.  There are different ways of being creative within the parameters and limitations of production. The only thing you cannot negotiate is stupidity.
Filmmaker: And unfortunately, there is an abundance of that in the world.
Tsangari: This is the only big risk: stupidity. Everything else is completely worked out in the end.
~ Chevalier‘s Rachel Athina Tsangari

“The middle-range movies that I was doing have largely either stopped being made, or they’ve moved to television, now that television is a go-to medium for directors who can’t get work in theatricals, because there are so few theatricals being made. But also with the new miniseries concept, you can tell a long story in detail without having to cram it all into 90 minutes. You don’t have to cut the characters and take out the secondary people. You can actually put them all on a big canvas. And it is a big canvas, because people have bigger screens now, so there’s no aesthetic difference between the way you shoot a movie and the way you shoot a TV show.

“Which is all for the good. But what’s happened in the interim is that theatrical movies being a spectacle business are now either giant blockbuster movies that run three hours—even superhero movies run three hours, they used to run like 58 minutes!—and the others, which are dysfunctional family independent movies or the slob comedy or the kiddie movie, and those are all low-budget. So the middle ground of movies that were about things, they’re just gone. Or else they’re on HBO. Like the Bryan Cranston LBJ movie, which years ago would’ve been made for theaters.

“You’ve got people like Paul Schrader and Walter Hill who can’t get their movies theatrically distributed because there’s no market for it. So they end up going to VOD, and VOD is a model from which no one makes any money, because most of the time, as soon as they get on the site, they’re pirated. So the whole model of the system right now is completely broken. And whether or not anybody’s going to try to fix, or if it even can be fixed, I don’t know. But it’s certainly not the same business that I got into in the ’70s.”
~ Joe Dante