A Cartoon…

The discussion about the cartoon on The Roanoke Times’ Facebook page

8 Responses to “A Cartoon…”

1. Rashad says:

It’s just not a funny cartoon. That’s the biggest issue.

2. Ray Pride says:

There used to be good editorial cartoonists. They used to be paid for being good.

3. christian says:

It’s the truth.

4. Triple Option says:

Maybe it’s partially because this isn’t a real hot button topic for me but I’ve seen a lot of comments by people who seem to value guns more than the lives of the people they’re supposed to protect.

5. bulldog68 says:

It just amazes me that you can’t take a box of juice on an airplane but these 2nd amendment nutcases don’t argue about restriction of freedom then. Or when they take their shoes off every time before they board. But they want the freedom to take a gun everywhere.

When you fill your prescription you get whatever the prescribed amount is, no more. And yet that doesn’t restrict their freedom, but not being able to buy unlimited amounts of guns and ammunition, is.

You can’t smoke in theaters, schools, many bars, all government buildings, and even some national parks, but lets have guns in all these places. Crazy Americans.

Hopefully change is coming. Dick Sporting Goods announced they will suspend the sale of modern sporting rifles, aka the deranged murderer’s weapon of choice. I hope other stores follow, and yes, its a PR stunt, but if it prevents just one more of these from happening then I’ll take it.

6. Daniella Isaacs says:

I think it makes a good point pretty well.

7. christian says:

I love that Republicans bleat about AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISM and then they fall to their knees crying, “NOTHING CAN BE DONE!”

8. SamLowry says:

What bugs me about this shooting is the sheer hypocrisy of the politicians who finally decided that something must be done. I’ve heard them say “this time it was our children”, this time “innocents” were killed, which unintentionally reveals what they really think about the teenagers and young adults killed in just the last year: When they’re no longer cute they’re fair game.

Their attitude is like a teen horror movie where any character who feels the slightest pang of horniness deserves to die, and in the most gruesome way possible.

And yes, the cartoon is absolutely correct. Plus, you have to wonder why a middle-aged female substitute teacher would buy so many military-grade weapons for herself…unless they weren’t really for her. Is there a possibility she bought them for her son, knowing he’d never be allowed near a gunshop?

“During the mid-’70s, keyboardist Ian McLagan finds himself in a room with Dylan and Led Zeppelin’s infamously brutish manager Peter Grant: ‘Hello, Bob. I’m Peter Grant, I manage Led Zeppelin.’ After a short silence, Dylan replies: ‘I don’t come to you with my problems.'”
~ “37 Hilarious Bob Dylan Stories

Kyle Buchanan: I think the deal with a lot of white, male critics is there’s a very empirical way that they write that they write their movie reviews that always puzzled me. Movies are such subjective things. Back in the day, I used to be the film critic for The Advocate, and it was really striking to me when I would go into screening rooms and I was by far the youngest. They were filled with old white men. And when you watch a film like Black Snake Moan, that’s playing with a whole lot of gender and race issues, I was like, Are like 70-year-old white men like really the sole voices that I want to hear on this movie? It just didn’t feel right.

Jen Yamato I’ve been very pleasantly surprised to see the receptions Moonlight has gotten. But one of the films that I was disappointed to see not get more traction was American Honey. I distinctly remember sitting in a screening room full of mostly older white guys and thinking during the film, How are any of them going to relate to this movie?

~ Taking On The “Old White Guys”