Night Moves

A Cartoon…

The discussion about the cartoon on The Roanoke Times’ Facebook page

8 Responses to “A Cartoon…”

1. Rashad says:

It’s just not a funny cartoon. That’s the biggest issue.

2. Ray Pride says:

There used to be good editorial cartoonists. They used to be paid for being good.

3. christian says:

It’s the truth.

4. Triple Option says:

Maybe it’s partially because this isn’t a real hot button topic for me but I’ve seen a lot of comments by people who seem to value guns more than the lives of the people they’re supposed to protect.

5. bulldog68 says:

It just amazes me that you can’t take a box of juice on an airplane but these 2nd amendment nutcases don’t argue about restriction of freedom then. Or when they take their shoes off every time before they board. But they want the freedom to take a gun everywhere.

When you fill your prescription you get whatever the prescribed amount is, no more. And yet that doesn’t restrict their freedom, but not being able to buy unlimited amounts of guns and ammunition, is.

You can’t smoke in theaters, schools, many bars, all government buildings, and even some national parks, but lets have guns in all these places. Crazy Americans.

Hopefully change is coming. Dick Sporting Goods announced they will suspend the sale of modern sporting rifles, aka the deranged murderer’s weapon of choice. I hope other stores follow, and yes, its a PR stunt, but if it prevents just one more of these from happening then I’ll take it.

6. Daniella Isaacs says:

I think it makes a good point pretty well.

7. christian says:

I love that Republicans bleat about AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISM and then they fall to their knees crying, “NOTHING CAN BE DONE!”

8. SamLowry says:

What bugs me about this shooting is the sheer hypocrisy of the politicians who finally decided that something must be done. I’ve heard them say “this time it was our children”, this time “innocents” were killed, which unintentionally reveals what they really think about the teenagers and young adults killed in just the last year: When they’re no longer cute they’re fair game.

Their attitude is like a teen horror movie where any character who feels the slightest pang of horniness deserves to die, and in the most gruesome way possible.

And yes, the cartoon is absolutely correct. Plus, you have to wonder why a middle-aged female substitute teacher would buy so many military-grade weapons for herself…unless they weren’t really for her. Is there a possibility she bought them for her son, knowing he’d never be allowed near a gunshop?

“I wondered how different it would be to write a novel and it’s totally different. It’s very internal. The weird thing about it is that I found that novel-writing was much more like directing than it is like screenwriting. You’re casting it, you’re lighting it, you’re doing the costumes, you’re doing the locations, you’re doing it all yourself as a director would. In screenwriting, you don’t do that stuff. You don’t describe the face of the actor or the character when you’re writing a screenplay because Tom Cruise is going to do it and he doesn’t look like that, whereas in the novel to describe what he is is what he is. The actual act of writing, just like shooting on a set, is a slow slog. It’s going to work every day.”
~ David Cronenberg On Screenplay vs. Novel

“I was fortunate to be in the two big film epics of the last part of the 20th century: Godfather and “Lonesome Dove” on television, which was my favorite part. That’s my “Hamlet.” The English have Shakespeare; the French, Molière. In Argentina, they have Borges, but the western is ours. I like that.”
~ Robert Duvall