A Cartoon…

The discussion about the cartoon on The Roanoke Times’ Facebook page

8 Responses to “A Cartoon…”

1. Rashad says:

It’s just not a funny cartoon. That’s the biggest issue.

2. Ray Pride says:

There used to be good editorial cartoonists. They used to be paid for being good.

3. christian says:

It’s the truth.

4. Triple Option says:

Maybe it’s partially because this isn’t a real hot button topic for me but I’ve seen a lot of comments by people who seem to value guns more than the lives of the people they’re supposed to protect.

5. bulldog68 says:

It just amazes me that you can’t take a box of juice on an airplane but these 2nd amendment nutcases don’t argue about restriction of freedom then. Or when they take their shoes off every time before they board. But they want the freedom to take a gun everywhere.

When you fill your prescription you get whatever the prescribed amount is, no more. And yet that doesn’t restrict their freedom, but not being able to buy unlimited amounts of guns and ammunition, is.

You can’t smoke in theaters, schools, many bars, all government buildings, and even some national parks, but lets have guns in all these places. Crazy Americans.

Hopefully change is coming. Dick Sporting Goods announced they will suspend the sale of modern sporting rifles, aka the deranged murderer’s weapon of choice. I hope other stores follow, and yes, its a PR stunt, but if it prevents just one more of these from happening then I’ll take it.

6. Daniella Isaacs says:

I think it makes a good point pretty well.

7. christian says:

I love that Republicans bleat about AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISM and then they fall to their knees crying, “NOTHING CAN BE DONE!”

8. SamLowry says:

What bugs me about this shooting is the sheer hypocrisy of the politicians who finally decided that something must be done. I’ve heard them say “this time it was our children”, this time “innocents” were killed, which unintentionally reveals what they really think about the teenagers and young adults killed in just the last year: When they’re no longer cute they’re fair game.

Their attitude is like a teen horror movie where any character who feels the slightest pang of horniness deserves to die, and in the most gruesome way possible.

And yes, the cartoon is absolutely correct. Plus, you have to wonder why a middle-aged female substitute teacher would buy so many military-grade weapons for herself…unless they weren’t really for her. Is there a possibility she bought them for her son, knowing he’d never be allowed near a gunshop?

“If there are theories about me, I’d rather not know. Astrophysics – now that’s fascinating. String theory, worm holes, the expanding universe, the Big Bang versus the Big Bounce – those are the kind of theories that make you feel like living and understanding the mystery of the world. Film theory is just a pain in the ass.”
~ Claire Denis

“I had a knockoff Michael Kors bag that said MLK instead of MK. Jada told me that I shouldn’t have knockoff stuff. I told her that my philosophy is, Whatever the bag costs, I should be able to keep that amount of cash in the bag. If it’s a $300 purse, I have to put $300 in cash in that purse. I do not want a bag that is more expensive than the cash I have to put in it. Things are going good for me now, so I am graduating to your Fendis and your Guccis. But I better have the cash equivalent, or I’m not buying the purse. And if things start to go wrong, I’m going right back to my knockoffs. When you’re somebody like me, who’s been homeless, clothes are not that important. Clothes are not a roof over my head, food in my ­stomach, my family’s health—that’s what money is for. But fashion helps get more money. So, we ride.”
~ Tiffany Haddish