The Truth Of Obama… Haters

6 Responses to “The Truth Of Obama… Haters”

1. Don R. Lewis says:

Ugggh,….such a total nutshell (no pun intended) look at the conservative party. If I wasn’t so disgusted by those people, I’d feel bad for them. In fact that whole video reminds me of polite debates I’ve been trying to have on facebook with people who I’m “friends” with on there who are supporting Romney. No matter what fact you offer them, they just won’t budge.

Now today it comes out that the Romney’s hadn’t paid ANY TAXES from 1996-2009 and also that they made a huuuuge profit off the auto industry bail out that he publicly opposed and it STILL doesn’t matter to these people. They simply don’t know WTF they’re talking about and have let the right wing whisper campaigns melt their minds.

I’m nervous about Tuesday and theres shenanigans happening in Florida (3-7 hour wait lines for early voting) and a piece of weird voter legislation that I don’t truly “get” coming down tomorrow in Ohio. This is all totally ridiculous and un-American.

Obama needs to win for the simple fact that he’s the better candidate AND it will cause the Republican party to lose. And lose their number one issue and platform which is to get Obama out in 4 years.

2. Rashad says:

Romney profiting from the bailout, while opposing it publicly, doesn’t make him look like a bad guy. In fact, it does the opposite. He knew he would gain, but stuck to his principles. Also, there’s never a mention of GM taking that money to retool their Mexican factories.

3. christian says:

Rashad, with all due respect, you’re a moron.

Don, have no fear. Obama in a near landslide. Yet I agree, buffoons like Rashad and others that feign total denial of reality is a scary thing. The media has also been god awful through this election, letting Rmoney get away with spectacular lies and reversals in the name of their ratings horserace. But the GOP karma is nigh.

4. Rashad says:

Whatever makes you feel better at night.

PS: I’m not voting for Romney.

5. Anthony says:

“In 2007, I signed on to the email lists of several influential magazines on the right, among them Townhall, which operates under the auspices of evangelical Stuart Epperson’s Salem Communications; Newsmax, the organ more responsible than any other for drumming up the hysteria that culminated in the impeachment of Bill Clinton; and Human Events, one of Ronald Reagan’s favorite publications. The exercise turned out to be far more revealing than I expected. Via the battery of promotional appeals that overran my email inbox, I mainlined a right-wing id that was invisible to readers who encounter conservative opinion at face value.”

-The Long Con: Mail-order Conservatism
    Rick Perlstein

6. Don R. Lewis says:

At the end of the day or, election cycle, I think what’s bothered me most is all the armchair quarterbacking by people who never pay attention and don’t know WTF they’re talking about but pipe up anyway during election season.

If you can still say Romney is your man after revealing himself as a candidate who doesn’t pay taxes for 13 years, accepts a payday from a bailout he opposed, is against gay marriage, against women’s rights and has yet to shown anyone any kind of financial plan. If you KNOW all these things and still want Romney/Ryan….you are, a fucking idiot.

“My father was a Jerome. My daughter’s middle name is Jerome. But my most vexing and vexed relationship with a Jerome was with Jerome Levitch, the subject of my first book under his stage and screen name, Jerry Lewis.

I have a lot of strong and complex feelings about the man, who passed away today in Las Vegas at age 91. Suffice to say he was a brilliant talent, an immense humanitarian, a difficult boss/interview, and a quixotic sort of genius, as often inspired as insipid, as often tender as caustic.

I wrote all about it in my 1996 book, “King of Comedy,” which is available on Kindle. With all due humility, it’s kinda definitive — the good and the bad — even though it’s two decades old. My favorite review, and one I begged St. Martin’s (unsuccessfully) to put on the paperback jacket, came from “Screw” magazine, which called it “A remarkably fair portrait of a great American asshole.”

Jerry and I met twice while I was working on the book and spoke/wrote to each other perhaps a dozen times. Like many of his relationships with the press and his partners/subordinates, it ended badly, with Jerry hollering profanities at me in the cabin of his yacht in San Diego. I wrote about it in the epilogue to my book, and over the years I’ve had the scene quoted back to me by Steve Martin, Harry Shearer, Paul Provenza and Penn Jillette. Tom Hanks once told me that he had a dinner with Paul Reiser and Martin Short at which Short spent the night imitating Jerry throwing me off the boat.

Jerry was a lot of things: father, husband, chum, businessman, philanthropist, artist, innovator, clown, tyrant. He was at various times in his life the highest-ever-paid performer on TV, in movies, and on Broadway. He raised BILLIONS for charity, invented filmmaking techniques, made perhaps a dozen classic comedies, turned in a terrific dramatic performance in Martin Scorsese’s “The King of Comedy,” and left the world altered and even enhanced with his time and his work in it.

That’s an estimable achievement and one worth pausing to commemorate.

#RIP to Le Roi du Crazy

~ Biographer Shawn Levy on Jerry Lewis on Facebook

“Billy Wilder said to me, ‘Those of us who are hyphenates deserve a couple more beats,’ and I knew what he meant. As a director, you make sure a scene is not beat-heavy. You need just enough beats in the rhythm. Billy also used to say, ‘Whatever you do, is your mark. You don’t have to go out and impress someone. Let them look at your work.’”
~ Jerry Lewis