Netflix’s House Of Cards

So the big grab at the top is talking to camera while no one else is aware of the 4th wall being broken. Iffy. The wave would have been more effective off of a voice over… an unexpected beat instead of a payoff right in line with the first dialogue.

One journalist on the show… complete whore. Does anyone – even Nikki Finke – lie down that overtly?

Spacey can do this in his sleep… and it feels a little like he is doing just that. I am fascinate by the choice… all minor keys… but low key Spacey without the nuke going off? Great, great actor, but not his thing, really.

And the next-to closing line makes no sense. “Take a step back. Look at the bigger picture. That’s how you devour a whale, one bite at a time.” That’s not the big picture, really… that’s the small picture, no? The small bites that eventually change the big picture. I’m guessing that we are missing lines in between and that someone really liked that dialogue.

Is this a vampire series without the blood? Given the talent involved, my guess is that the show is going to be a lot better than this trailer. Nice to see a show, though, that will drive grandma crazing, screaming over and over, “Turn on a light! This is no good for your eyes!”

On the business side… there is a reason why this dropped AFTER the quarterlies. It probably won’t hurt anything, but it certainly doesn’t look like a game changer either.

13 Responses to “Netflix’s House Of Cards”

1. Captain_Celluloid says:

Certainly looks like FIncher has significantly raised the bar for
    TV — can we really call it TV any more. The look is wonderful as to be expected; FIncher channels Gordon WIllis view of the 70’s yet a again [ which I love. ] LOVE that he’s doing the series letterboxed 2.35; only a FIncher would have that kind of clout AND makes it work for the story. I agree that Spacey comes off the tad low-key if almost awkward in this trailer; I will also guess he will be much better in context. Amazing cast full of under used yet terrific actors. DAMN looks like I’ll have to hold on to my NETFLIX account a little longer . . . but I do hope they will release on Blu Ray ala HBO.

2. DiscoNap says:

The original miniseries is pretty great, and the device ends up working well. As with Veep, I’m not sure if it translates as well to our form of government, where fortunes and position can’t change quite as quickly.

3. dan says:

I think it looks stunning. I don’t know why the breaking the fourth wall is so “iffy.” As far as I can tell, it works.

Are you at all familiar with the original BBC series, by any chance?

I have no problem with the 4th wall being broken. In the context of this trailer, however, it doesn’t play as well as it should. Plays like a trick, not an effective narrative device.

And no, haven’t watched the original.

5. sanj says:

Kevin Spacey keeps wearing suits – it makes him look super smart… plus he’s always yelling at people.
    that gets him awards everytime.

on showtimes house of lies – Don Cheadle talks to the camera …it works there.

DP – get a house of lies dp/30 – Kristen Bell power!

6. palmtree says:

This looks phenomenal.

Now, will they please start trailering Arrested Development?

7. Rashad says:

Spacey’s accent is horrible.

8. Js Partisan says:

This looks tremendous and it totally looks like a game changer. David, there comes a point where you may have to accept that Netflix aren’t a complete bunch of loons, and that you are out to lunch when it comes to this trailer.

9. jujuju says:

choices made by spacey and fincher is ‘iffy’… that’s brilliant. well, ‘brilliant’ may not be the right word. let’s see. i’ll go with ‘spotty’. yes, calling this ‘iffy’ is definitely ‘spotty’.

this trailer is powerful. if anything is iffy it’s you, poland

10. Triple Option says:

Ehh, I’d check it out but I’m not 100% sold on it. I think in general I’d prefer a 1st person voice over to breaking the 4th wall as it won’t take me out of the story or have it lose cred.

It looks like it could get really trashy w/a buncha people sleeping around and things get all gossipy and backstabbing which yes happens in politics but I’d rather see strategic manuevering than sensationalism. I’ll just have to see what it’s about. So I guess the trailer’s a success in that I’d consider and likely watch but I’m not a definitely can’t wait to watch.

11. Think says:

Okay. We get it. You hate Netflix.

That was a really fucking weird and hyper OCD piece about a trailer/commercial.

12. alynch says:

And don’t even get David started on the credit font.

13. storymark says:

Looks damned good to me. Looking forward to it.

“There are critics who see their job as to be on the side of the artist, or in a state of imaginative sympathy or alliance with the artist. I think it’s important for a critic to be populist in the sense that we’re on the side of the public. I think one of the reasons is, frankly, capitalism. Whether you’re talking about restaurants or you’re talking about movies, you’re talking about large-scale commercial enterprises that are trying to sell themselves and market themselves and publicize themselves. A critic is, in a way, offering consumer advice. I think it’s very, very important in a time where everything is commercialized, commodified, and branded, where advertising is constantly bleeding into other forms of discourse, for there to be an independent voice kind of speaking to—and to some extent on behalf of—the public.”
~ A. O. Scott On One Role Of The Critic

“Every night, we’d sit and talk for a long, long time and talk about the process and I knew he was very, very intrigued about what could be happening. Then of course, one of the fascinating things he told me about was how he had readers who were reading for him that never knew it was Stanley Kubrick. So if he heard of a novel, he would send it out to people. I think he did it through newspaper ads at the time. And he would send it out to people and ask for a kind of synopsis or a critique of the novel. And he would read those. And it was done anonymously. But he said there were housewives and there were barristers and all sorts of people doing that. And I thought, yeah, that’s a really good way to open up the possibilities. Because otherwise, you’re randomly looking, walking through a bookstore or an airport. I said, “How many people are doing this?” It was about 30 people.”
~ George Miller’s Conversations With Kubrick