Netflix’s House Of Cards

So the big grab at the top is talking to camera while no one else is aware of the 4th wall being broken. Iffy. The wave would have been more effective off of a voice over… an unexpected beat instead of a payoff right in line with the first dialogue.

One journalist on the show… complete whore. Does anyone – even Nikki Finke – lie down that overtly?

Spacey can do this in his sleep… and it feels a little like he is doing just that. I am fascinate by the choice… all minor keys… but low key Spacey without the nuke going off? Great, great actor, but not his thing, really.

And the next-to closing line makes no sense. “Take a step back. Look at the bigger picture. That’s how you devour a whale, one bite at a time.” That’s not the big picture, really… that’s the small picture, no? The small bites that eventually change the big picture. I’m guessing that we are missing lines in between and that someone really liked that dialogue.

Is this a vampire series without the blood? Given the talent involved, my guess is that the show is going to be a lot better than this trailer. Nice to see a show, though, that will drive grandma crazing, screaming over and over, “Turn on a light! This is no good for your eyes!”

On the business side… there is a reason why this dropped AFTER the quarterlies. It probably won’t hurt anything, but it certainly doesn’t look like a game changer either.

13 Responses to “Netflix’s House Of Cards”

1. Captain_Celluloid says:

Certainly looks like FIncher has significantly raised the bar for
    TV — can we really call it TV any more. The look is wonderful as to be expected; FIncher channels Gordon WIllis view of the 70’s yet a again [ which I love. ] LOVE that he’s doing the series letterboxed 2.35; only a FIncher would have that kind of clout AND makes it work for the story. I agree that Spacey comes off the tad low-key if almost awkward in this trailer; I will also guess he will be much better in context. Amazing cast full of under used yet terrific actors. DAMN looks like I’ll have to hold on to my NETFLIX account a little longer . . . but I do hope they will release on Blu Ray ala HBO.

2. DiscoNap says:

The original miniseries is pretty great, and the device ends up working well. As with Veep, I’m not sure if it translates as well to our form of government, where fortunes and position can’t change quite as quickly.

3. dan says:

I think it looks stunning. I don’t know why the breaking the fourth wall is so “iffy.” As far as I can tell, it works.

Are you at all familiar with the original BBC series, by any chance?

I have no problem with the 4th wall being broken. In the context of this trailer, however, it doesn’t play as well as it should. Plays like a trick, not an effective narrative device.

And no, haven’t watched the original.

5. sanj says:

Kevin Spacey keeps wearing suits – it makes him look super smart… plus he’s always yelling at people.
    that gets him awards everytime.

on showtimes house of lies – Don Cheadle talks to the camera …it works there.

DP – get a house of lies dp/30 – Kristen Bell power!

6. palmtree says:

This looks phenomenal.

Now, will they please start trailering Arrested Development?

7. Rashad says:

Spacey’s accent is horrible.

8. Js Partisan says:

This looks tremendous and it totally looks like a game changer. David, there comes a point where you may have to accept that Netflix aren’t a complete bunch of loons, and that you are out to lunch when it comes to this trailer.

9. jujuju says:

choices made by spacey and fincher is ‘iffy’… that’s brilliant. well, ‘brilliant’ may not be the right word. let’s see. i’ll go with ‘spotty’. yes, calling this ‘iffy’ is definitely ‘spotty’.

this trailer is powerful. if anything is iffy it’s you, poland

10. Triple Option says:

Ehh, I’d check it out but I’m not 100% sold on it. I think in general I’d prefer a 1st person voice over to breaking the 4th wall as it won’t take me out of the story or have it lose cred.

It looks like it could get really trashy w/a buncha people sleeping around and things get all gossipy and backstabbing which yes happens in politics but I’d rather see strategic manuevering than sensationalism. I’ll just have to see what it’s about. So I guess the trailer’s a success in that I’d consider and likely watch but I’m not a definitely can’t wait to watch.

11. Think says:

Okay. We get it. You hate Netflix.

That was a really fucking weird and hyper OCD piece about a trailer/commercial.

12. alynch says:

And don’t even get David started on the credit font.

13. storymark says:

Looks damned good to me. Looking forward to it.

“When Bay keeps these absurd plot-gears spinning, he’s displaying his skill as a slick, professional entertainer. But then there are the images of motion—I hesitate to say, of things in motion, because it’s not clear how many things there are in the movie, instead of mere digital simulations of things. It doesn’t matter. What matters is that there’s a car chase through London, seen from the level of tires, that could have gone on for an hour, um, tirelessly. What matters is that the defenestrated Cade saves himself by leaping from drone to drone in midair like a frog skipping among lotus pads; that he and Vivian slide along the colossal, polished expanses of sharply tilting age-old fields of metal like luge Olympians. What matters is that, when this heroic duo find themselves thrust out into the void of inner space from a collapsing planet, it has a terrifyingly vast emptiness that Bay doesn’t dare hold for more than an instant lest he become the nightmare-master. What matters is that the enormous thing hurtling toward Earth is composed in a fanatical detail that would repay slow-motion viewing with near-geological patience. Bay has an authentic sense of the gigantic; beside the playful enormity of his Transformerized universe, the ostensibly heroic dimensions of Ridley Scott’s and Christopher Nolan’s massive visions seem like petulant vanities.”
~ Michael Bay Gives Richard Brody A Tingle

How do you see film evolving in this age of Netflix?

I thought the swing would be quicker and more violent. There have been two landmark moments in the history of French film. First in 1946, with the creation of the CNC under the aegis of Malraux. He saved French cinema by establishing the advance on receipts and support fund mechanisms. We’re all children of this political invention. Americans think that the State gives money to French films, but they’re wrong. Through this system, films fund themselves!

The other great turning point came by the hand of Jack Lang in the 1980s, after the creation of Canal+. While television was getting ready to become the nemesis of film, he created the decoder, and a specific broadcasting space between film and television, using new investments for film. That once again saved French film.

These political decisions are important. We’re once again facing big change. If our political masters don’t take control of the situation and new stakeholders like Netflix, Google and Amazon, we’re headed for disaster. We need to create obligations for Internet service providers. They can’t always be against film. They used to allow piracy, but now that they’ve become producers themselves, they’re starting to see things in a different light. This is a moment of transition, a strong political act needs to be put forward. And it can’t just be at national level, it has to happen at European level.

Filmmaker Cédric Klapisch