Trailer: Zero Dark Thirty

13 Responses to “Trailer: Zero Dark Thirty”

1. PcChongor says:

Taken solely as the trailer to a much anticipated action flick, it definitely hits all the right notes and then some.

However, taken in its real world context of, more likely than not, planted DoD “rah, rah, rah” propagandist half-truths and a fundamentalist Muslim world that’s already set fire to the world in protest against a mere YouTube video, things don’t seem to bode nearly as well for it.

Sweet commando-style Burka ambush, though. Fox is probably already getting ideas for what their next female driven half-hour procedural could be.

2. Ohnotheydid says:

So spoil it for me, do they get Bin Laden?

3. sloanish says:

Pc, I’m wondering how rah rah you felt Hurt Locker was. This is a movie that is probably going to be as truthful a military film as we get.

Also, considering that the vast majority of the ME is not al queda or a supporter of terrorism, I don’t know why this would have any more of an effect than that Peter Berg movie did. Sounds like you bought into some propaganda of your own and don’t believe Muslims will be able to deal with anything reasonable.

4. movieman says:

Loving me some Chris Pratt right about now!

5. PcChongor says:

-Sloan

While “Hurt Locker” was certainly no “Act Of Valor,” I did think that the film was by and large sold to the general movie going public on the basis of its fantastic slow-mo bomb diffusion and sniper scenes (the latter of which I wouldn’t exactly call the height of military realism).

It’s overall thematic message was anything but “rah, rah,” and very much worth exploring, but its execution felt lacking due to several rather obvious and hokey plot developments (and also, if your film can be completely summarized by an opening quote, why make the film in the first place?). So no, I wouldn’t describe “Hurt Locker” as being pumped full of any propaganda, so much as it is a very well made action film that tries a little too hard to be taken seriously (a description that I think applies to most of Bigelow’s other films as well).

Where “Zero Dark Thirty” differs, is that the beautifully shot action is now centered around actual events that still largely remain classified (and keep in mind that many OSS related WWII documents were only declassified in 2005 after years of lawyer-churning legal battles). So when you take into consideration that the build-up and aftermath to the assault on the Bin Laden compound was (and still is) one of the most covert operations undertaken in modern U.S. history, and the fact that the Department of Defense has the right to vet and block any book or film which they believe has “the potential” to reveal “state secrets,” I’d be especially wary of any film purporting to give a completely accurate summation of said still secret events just one year after they took place (also, the governmental hoops a production has to go through just to include a shot of the NSA building in a film [as shown in the above trailer] are just short of mind bottling, and also don’t bode well with the filmmakers’ claims of providing a supposedly raw and unfiltered look into the Zero Dark operation).

And as to any political backlash against the film, I’m not so much concerned about the general Muslim world, as I am the much smaller, but also much, much more vocal, slice of Fundamentalists, who have historically had a definite proclivity towards being easily influenced by agenda driven clerics and imams (who are now seen as the ones largely responsible for the rise and eventual violent escalation of the “Innocence Of Muslims” protests). Granted, the film will probably have little to do with any or sort of portrayal, of the Islamic faith, but devoting a large Hollywood expose on the take down of the man who many of the most fervent and violent fundamentalists still consider to be their supreme leader and ultimate martyr just might have the potential to generate some retaliatory blowback. Afterall, the President wasn’t just being coy when he decided against releasing the pictures of Bin Laden’s corpse to the public.

6. Tuck Pendelton says:

Looks ok. But I’m not doing cartwheels yet…

I always chuckle at the “Director of Hurt Locker”

how about the “Director of Point Break!”

7. PcChongor says:

P.S.

I don’t know how much more “rah, rah, rah” a supposedly grounded and balanced film can make itself out to be than by releasing an “Osama Compound” branded map pack for an upcoming modern warfare styled FPS:

P.P.S.

I think this Vice piece provides a candid glimpse into the surrounding area of the actual Bin Laden compound, and tells a far more interesting tale of how the world’s most wanted man could spend so many years hiding in relatively plain sight.

8. movielocke says:

I liked the first trailer but this trailer is worrisome, the VO seems to imply that the film is firmly on the torture-worshipping bush bandwagon, I hope that’s not the case and they show interrogation that is realistic and not 24 style bullshit.

9. Mike says:

The thing is, Hurt Locker had characters and something to say. This is just a procedural about getting a guy, which we all know the end to.

Not saying it won’t be good, but I’m concerned that they spent too much time and energy getting the details right that they didn’t bother to get the story right.

10. Gus says:

I thought the ending of this was the best money shot I’ve seen in a trailer in as long as I can remember.

11. Rashad says:

looks awful

12. Ohnotheydid says:

I can already hear the sound of empty cinemas

13. leahnz says:

go k-big. it’s not really a secret that the story focuses mainly on how they got the intel that led to bin laden’s location – from what i remember they were already well into pre-production with a completed story when bin laden was found and whacked, really just a happy accident for the movie that they were then able to put the ultimate exclamation point on the tale. it looks quite procedural and focused on chastain’s character, which is fine by me because she’s the real deal.

“Once in a while, there was a nice, good film, but not very many. If something comes along that’s really good and I think I would be good for it, I’d be happy to do it. But not too many came along. I mean, they came along for the first, I don’t know, 15, 18 films, but I didn’t do that many. But then I didn’t want to do the kind of junk I was seeing. I didn’t want to do 3D, for instance. I didn’t want to do ones where it’s just bombing and loud and swearing. So much swearing going on. If someone says ‘Ah, go fuck yourself,’ well, if it came from a meaningful place, I’d understand it. But if you go to some movies, can’t they just stop and talk, just talk, instead of swearing? That put me off a lot.”
~ Gene Wilder, 2013

“There’s a condiment that you can put on toast in the UK called Marmite. Their advertising campaign is that you either love it or hate it. I think Warcraft has a similar history in that a lot of guys and girls out there have had their relationships broken up because their significant others played too much Warcraft or for whatever other reason they don’t like Warcraft because of a rivalry with another game they prefer. I know that the movie is not perfect and I think one of the absolute frustrations of making a movie of this scale is that it is impossible, I think, to make a movie like this as an independent filmmaker. You have to find a way to squeeze it through the studio bureaucracies. Trying to make a movie like Warcraft, and trying to do it in a unique way… you get killed by a death of a thousand cuts. Every choice that I make, whether it is story or character or costume, all works together. When you make a little change it doesn’t seem like a big deal. When you keep making those little changes, especially over three and a half years, suddenly you’re basically spending all of your time trying to work out how to patch up what has been messed around with.”
~ Duncan Jones To Matt Patches On Warcraft