By DP30 david@thehotbuttonl.com

7 Responses to “DP/30: Cloud Atlas, screenwriter/directors Lana Wachowski, Tom Tykwer, Andy Wachowski”

1. berg says:

at the 17 minutes mark (approx) the interview soars to new heights

2. Heisenberg says:

Damn, aside from Tom Tykwer desperately trying to get out of there at the 30 minute mark, and their publicist throwing out a bit of a burn towards DP at the very end, it was a great interview. Loved the epic rants on the philosophical nature of “Revolutions,” as well as Andy Wachowski’s understandable annoyance with film junkets.

3. djiggs says:

Amazing interview…I wish I had the chance to catch the late screening with Q&A at Fantastic Fest…Profound love/respect/admiration to the Wachowskis, Tykwer, and you David. Cornel West was not joshing when he said Lana was laser smart. What a wonderful soul.

4. Danny says:

Inspiring trio. Artistically and personally.

5. Captain_Celluloid says:

Yeah, AMAZING interview.

Three totally different totally interesting
    personas. Well wrangled, David.

All were impressively articulate and comfortably erudite
    without being pretentious . . . . loved the ONE BROW FILM
    line . . . . as Hollywood has forgotten how to make
    smart and adult large scale films . . . . which is sadly ironic
    considering how well Hollywood did with that type of film in the 70’s . . . . .

I am now totally prepared to like the CLOUD ATLAS . . . . I am also now totally and pleasantly surprised by how comfortable we’ve all gotten with Lana NEE Larry . . . I know I have.

I may still have trouble with pronoun selection but Lana is a totally interesting — and forgive me for framing it this way — “non-freakish” person . . . .
    as is Andy . . . . and I am really glad they’ve decided to start talking about their work. I guess we can at least partially thank Tom Tykwer

6. sanj says:

Andy Wachowski is funny….get him back …let him go off topic about movies.

7. Rashad says:

I really wish someone would get the Wachowskis for an hour, and have them talk about their 10 favorite movies. Would love to hear their thoughts.

And I love Revolutions as well.

DP/30

“What Quibi trying to do is get to the next generation of film narrative. The first generation was movies, and they were principally two-hour stories that were designed to be watched in a single sitting in a movie theater [ED: After formats like the nickelodeon]. The next generation of film narrative was television, principally designed to be watched in one-hour chapters in front of a television set. I believe the third generation of film narrative will be a merging of those two ideas, which is to tell two-hour stories in chapters that are seven to ten minutes in length. We are actually doing long-form in bite-size.”
~ Jeffrey Katzenberg

“The important thing is: what makes the audience interested in it? Of course, I don’t take on any roles that don’t interest me, or where I can’t find anything for myself in it. But I don’t like talking about that. If you go into a restaurant and you have been served an exquisite meal, you don’t need to know how the chef felt, or when he chose the vegetables on the market. I always feel a little like I would pull the rug out from under myself if I were to I speak about the background of my work. My explanations would come into conflict with the reason a movie is made in the first place — for the experience of the audience — and that, I would not want.
~  Christoph Waltz