By DP30 david@thehotbuttonl.com

7 Responses to “DP/30: Cloud Atlas, screenwriter/directors Lana Wachowski, Tom Tykwer, Andy Wachowski”

1. berg says:

at the 17 minutes mark (approx) the interview soars to new heights

2. Heisenberg says:

Damn, aside from Tom Tykwer desperately trying to get out of there at the 30 minute mark, and their publicist throwing out a bit of a burn towards DP at the very end, it was a great interview. Loved the epic rants on the philosophical nature of “Revolutions,” as well as Andy Wachowski’s understandable annoyance with film junkets.

3. djiggs says:

Amazing interview…I wish I had the chance to catch the late screening with Q&A at Fantastic Fest…Profound love/respect/admiration to the Wachowskis, Tykwer, and you David. Cornel West was not joshing when he said Lana was laser smart. What a wonderful soul.

4. Danny says:

Inspiring trio. Artistically and personally.

5. Captain_Celluloid says:

Yeah, AMAZING interview.

Three totally different totally interesting
    personas. Well wrangled, David.

All were impressively articulate and comfortably erudite
    without being pretentious . . . . loved the ONE BROW FILM
    line . . . . as Hollywood has forgotten how to make
    smart and adult large scale films . . . . which is sadly ironic
    considering how well Hollywood did with that type of film in the 70’s . . . . .

I am now totally prepared to like the CLOUD ATLAS . . . . I am also now totally and pleasantly surprised by how comfortable we’ve all gotten with Lana NEE Larry . . . I know I have.

I may still have trouble with pronoun selection but Lana is a totally interesting — and forgive me for framing it this way — “non-freakish” person . . . .
    as is Andy . . . . and I am really glad they’ve decided to start talking about their work. I guess we can at least partially thank Tom Tykwer

6. sanj says:

Andy Wachowski is funny….get him back …let him go off topic about movies.

7. Rashad says:

I really wish someone would get the Wachowskis for an hour, and have them talk about their 10 favorite movies. Would love to hear their thoughts.

And I love Revolutions as well.

DP/30

“Dude, I don’t like the way you talk, bro. How can you tell me that it’s going to be hard? Do you see a lot of people like you writing stories? Give me a break, bro. That’s your strength, that you’re not like us. Go out there and tell your stories. Don’t go out there and try to be like Quentin or me or anybody else. We need you. Tell me what makes you angry, why you’re arrogant, or fearful, whatever it is. Don’t hide anything. Be honest. What is that thing that bothers you and makes you distinct? Everyone’s looking for you. A Mexican point-of-view to tell a story right now? I’m telling you, everybody wants that right now. I desperately need you to tell your story in your way. You are essential.”
~ M. Night Shyamalan