By DP30 david@thehotbuttonl.com

7 Responses to “DP/30: Cloud Atlas, screenwriter/directors Lana Wachowski, Tom Tykwer, Andy Wachowski”

1. berg says:

at the 17 minutes mark (approx) the interview soars to new heights

2. Heisenberg says:

Damn, aside from Tom Tykwer desperately trying to get out of there at the 30 minute mark, and their publicist throwing out a bit of a burn towards DP at the very end, it was a great interview. Loved the epic rants on the philosophical nature of “Revolutions,” as well as Andy Wachowski’s understandable annoyance with film junkets.

3. djiggs says:

Amazing interview…I wish I had the chance to catch the late screening with Q&A at Fantastic Fest…Profound love/respect/admiration to the Wachowskis, Tykwer, and you David. Cornel West was not joshing when he said Lana was laser smart. What a wonderful soul.

4. Danny says:

Inspiring trio. Artistically and personally.

5. Captain_Celluloid says:

Yeah, AMAZING interview.

Three totally different totally interesting
    personas. Well wrangled, David.

All were impressively articulate and comfortably erudite
    without being pretentious . . . . loved the ONE BROW FILM
    line . . . . as Hollywood has forgotten how to make
    smart and adult large scale films . . . . which is sadly ironic
    considering how well Hollywood did with that type of film in the 70’s . . . . .

I am now totally prepared to like the CLOUD ATLAS . . . . I am also now totally and pleasantly surprised by how comfortable we’ve all gotten with Lana NEE Larry . . . I know I have.

I may still have trouble with pronoun selection but Lana is a totally interesting — and forgive me for framing it this way — “non-freakish” person . . . .
    as is Andy . . . . and I am really glad they’ve decided to start talking about their work. I guess we can at least partially thank Tom Tykwer

6. sanj says:

Andy Wachowski is funny….get him back …let him go off topic about movies.

7. Rashad says:

I really wish someone would get the Wachowskis for an hour, and have them talk about their 10 favorite movies. Would love to hear their thoughts.

And I love Revolutions as well.

DP/30

“I was 15 when I first watched Sally Hardesty escape into the back of a pickup truck, covered in blood and cackling like a goddamn witch. All of her friends were dead. She had been kidnapped, tortured and even forced to feed her own blood to her cannibalistic captors’ impossibly shriveled patriarch. Being new to the horror genre, I was sure she was going to die. It had been a few months since I survived a violent sexual assault, where I subsequently ran from my assailant, tripped, fell and fought like hell. I crawled home with bloody knees, makeup-stained cheeks and a new void in both my mind and heart. My sense of safety, my ability to trust others, my willingness to form new relationships and my love of spending time with people I cared about were all taken from me. It wasn’t until I found the original The Texas Chain Saw Massacre that something clicked. It was Sally’s strength, and her resilience. It was watching her survive blows to the head from a hammer. It was watching her break free from her bonds and burst through a glass window. It was watching her get back up after she’d been stabbed. It was watching her crawl into the back of a truck, laughing as it drove away from Leatherface. She was the last one to confront the killer, and live. I remember sitting in front of the TV and thinking, There I am. That’s me.”
~ Lauren Milici On “The Final Girl”

“‘Thriller’ enforced its own reality principle; it was there, part of the every commute, a serenade to every errand, a referent to every purchase, a fact of every life. You didn’t have to like it, you only had to acknowledge it. By July 6, 1984, when the Jacksons played the first show of their ‘Victory’ tour, in Kansas City, Missouri, Jacksonism had produced a system of commodification so complete that whatever and whoever was admitted to it instantly became a new commodity. People were no longer comsuming commodities as such things are conventionally understood (records, videos, posters, books, magazines, key rings, earrings necklaces pins buttons wigs voice-altering devices Pepsis t-shirts underwear hats scarves gloves jackets – and why were there no jeans called Bille Jeans?); they were consuming their own gestures of consumption. That is, they were consuming not a Tayloristic Michael Jackson, or any licensed facsimile, but themselves. Riding a Mobius strip of pure capitalism, that was the transubstantiation.”
~ Greil Marcus On Michael Jackson