By DP30 david@thehotbuttonl.com

DP/30 @ TIFF 2012: Silver Linings Playbook, actor Bradley Cooper

9 Responses to “DP/30 @ TIFF 2012: Silver Linings Playbook, actor Bradley Cooper”

1. Andrew S says:

Wow David – when did you become such a tough interviewer? You really grilled him, but in a good way. Kudos!

Every conversation has its own atmosphere. Bradley was a very game subject. I didn’t think I was being tough at all.

3. sanj says:

DP – you didn’t ask enough about other movies other than hangover series ….

4. StellaPD says:

In all fairness, the conversation is less than 30 minutes long. He can only ask so many questions, and Cooper is promoting specific films that played in Toronto. Those films are mentioned along with The Hangover I/II and Limitless. If you tried covering everything he’s done, you’d have 15 second answers and a lackluster interview. I enjoyed it. Cooper seems like a thoughtful, intelligent dude.

5. sanj says:

yeah but they didn’t even talk about Limitless in any sort of detail .. discussing a few smaller movies he’s done might have been interesting …like the Midnight Meat Train

6. berg says:

I want to see a DP/30 with Joaquin Phoenix where you ask him his name five times in a row

7. The Pope says:

Great interview. Really fast, really engaging. A helluva lotta ground covered.

8. Hallick says:

It’s no longer the time to talk about Limitless in detail, sanj. If it didn’t come up, it didn’t come up.

9. I totally agree with David, you will made this guy sweat like a pig and I like that too. I think these are the best interviews actually, when you will really put these guys in the spot with no worries.

INTERVIEW: What’s the last movie that made you cry?
RODRIGO PRIETOThe Broken Circle Breakdown.
INTERVIEW: Oh the Belgian one? That movie was devastating.
RODRIGO PRIETO: Yeah, I love that movie. Sometimes I cry while shooting, while operating the camera. I can think of two examples. One was in Amores Perros, when the character that has all these dogs–he’s a killer for hire–and he leaves a message for his daughter on the answering machine. When we shot that the actor was looking at a photograph of his actual daughter and in fact, that photo that you see in the movie of the little girl, is his daughter. The girl that’s he’s following, that you just see fleetingly, is his daughter. When he leaves that message, he got really touched. Of course, I have two daughters and it really touched me as well. It’s all about him wanting to be more present, which is something that happens in this career that I picked, which is very intense and time-consuming, and there are a lot of times when I’d like to be with my daughters more and I haven’t been able to. So it made me cry. The second time was in 21 Grams, when we were shooting Naomi Watts listening to the message that her husband left right before they were run over by a car. Hearing the little girls–at that time my girls were little–her listening to it over and over, I was bawling.
~ Cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto

“Two words: devotion and love. The very medium of documentary offers us the opportunity to make real the biblical expression asking us to love our neighbor. It gives us the knowledge of our neighbors far and wide. Knowledge by which we can love our neighbors.”
~ Albert Maysles