Z

Dead Guys…. Get Your Dead Guys!!!

Do we really think they’ll be able to resist giving both of these guys Oscar nominations?

November 23

November 16

26 Responses to “Dead Guys…. Get Your Dead Guys!!!”

1. Aaron Aradillasm says:

I was just thinking about when this movie was gonna come out. I think the Best Actor race is going to be brutal. I think Fox Searchlight would be best served if they held this one over until next May. Give it the MONRISE KINGDOM treatment. As it stands I see Best Actor being Phoenix, Day-Lewis, Foxx, Hawkes, and the lead from the Haneke movie. We’ll also see some major campaigning for Langella and Gere.

2. Don R. Lewis says:

If you’re talking Langella for ROBOT AND FRANK it’s a nice thought, but no way. He’s icier than the robot in that movie. Don’t older actors have to have emotional cataharsis in films to get attention?

And that Hopkins as Hitch pic is uncannily spot-on whereas Toby Jones just looks weird.

3. movielocke says:

really? They think he can get in against Day Lewis, Phoenix, Washington, Hawkes, Jackman, Trintigent and Foxx?

4. Don R. Lewis says:

Oscar loves him some stars playing famous people.

5. Aaron Aradillasm says:

Am I the only one not feeling LES MIZ?

6. bulldog68 says:

After being nominated 4 times in the nineties, and then nothing after that, if Hitchcock is any good, it will be irresistible to not nominate Hopkins playing a Hollywood icon. Hollywood loves homages to themselves.

My Academy wish thus far is I hope Gyllenhaal and Pena get some love. I hope that End of Watch follows the likes of The Departed and No Country for Old Men of filling that gritty crime drama slot that delivered on all levels.

7. leahnz says:

speaking of dead guys, i’d love to see an oscar nom for the original phoenix (if they can get Dark Blood into a cinema for a week before the end of the year).

8. Hallick says:

Ira, I think you need to workshop your jokes on your home computer for a while before bringing them to the main stage here.

9. storymark says:

Greeaaaat. Ira played out his schtick on Well’s site, so he’s brought it here.

yay.

10. Christian says:

“This is the end, beautiful friend, the end…”

11. arisp says:

Ira’s posts are DEAD ON.

12. Don R. Lewis says:

arisp-
    they are….and then they’re unbearably redundant and way, way too frequent.

13. christian says:

IRA PARKS SAYS:

IRA PARKS SAYS:

Abracadabra, I sit on his knee. Presto, change-o, and now he is me…

14. al says:

what brought you on over from Elsewhere Ira, and why now?
    and incidently whatever happened to IO partisan?

15. Ira Parks says:

“What brought you on over from Elsewhere?”

The damn locks were changed. My laundry was on the lawn. A note on the door said, “Eff off.”

16. Don R. Lewis says:

Jeff knocked his virtual hat off the bed.

17. storymark says:

Swing and a miss on impersonating me, Ira. I generally consider discussing box office dull as hell.

18. Christian says:

Start screaming about white pussy and the light will be left on all night for you.

19. Joe Straatmann says:

Kweh?

20. Joe Leydon says:

JOE LEYDON SAYS:

If I get my hands on this bitch-ass punk Ira Parks, they will need dental records to indentify the corpse.

21. christian says:

IRA PARKS SAYS:

IRA PARKS SAYS:

Magic is fun…we’re dead.

22. movieman says:

This “Ira Parks” character is pretty f**king tiresome.
    Move on.

23. Popcorn Slayer says:

TOBY JONES SAYS:

Do you wankers realize this is the SECOND time I’ll be trailing in the wake of a more prominent actor playing the same dead geezer? Can’t be mere coincidence – God likes to bugger me.

24. movieman says:

Ron Burrage who played the Hitchcock “double” in 2009’s “Double Take” would have been inspired casting.
    He certainly looks more like Hitch than Hopkins, and there wouldn’t be the distraction of Hopkins’ “all-of-his-previous-roles-until-now” baggage.
    Just saying.
    But I’m impressed that the filmmakers turned this around so quickly. According to IMDB, production only started in mid-April of this year.
    I love this kind of movie, though–and “Psycho” is one of my all-time faves–so I’m definitely in.

25. cadavra says:

Timothy Spall woulda been perfect–wouldn’t even need padding!

So what did Ira say that was deleted? Oops, never mind…

Tsangari: With my next film, White Knuckles, it comes with a budget — it’s going to be a huge new world for me. As always when I enter into a new thing, don’t you wonder how it’s going to be and how much of yourself you are going to have to sacrifice? The ballet of all of this. I’m already imaging the choreography — not of the camera, but the choreography of actually bringing it to life. It is as fascinating as the shooting itself. I find the producing as exciting as the directing. The one informs the other. There is this producer-director hat that I constantly wear. I’ve been thinking about these early auteurs, like Howard Hawks and John Ford and Preston Sturges—all of these guys basically were hired by the studio, and I doubt they had final cut, and somehow they had films that now we can say they had their signatures.  There are different ways of being creative within the parameters and limitations of production. The only thing you cannot negotiate is stupidity.
Filmmaker: And unfortunately, there is an abundance of that in the world.
Tsangari: This is the only big risk: stupidity. Everything else is completely worked out in the end.
~ Chevalier‘s Rachel Athina Tsangari

“The middle-range movies that I was doing have largely either stopped being made, or they’ve moved to television, now that television is a go-to medium for directors who can’t get work in theatricals, because there are so few theatricals being made. But also with the new miniseries concept, you can tell a long story in detail without having to cram it all into 90 minutes. You don’t have to cut the characters and take out the secondary people. You can actually put them all on a big canvas. And it is a big canvas, because people have bigger screens now, so there’s no aesthetic difference between the way you shoot a movie and the way you shoot a TV show.

“Which is all for the good. But what’s happened in the interim is that theatrical movies being a spectacle business are now either giant blockbuster movies that run three hours—even superhero movies run three hours, they used to run like 58 minutes!—and the others, which are dysfunctional family independent movies or the slob comedy or the kiddie movie, and those are all low-budget. So the middle ground of movies that were about things, they’re just gone. Or else they’re on HBO. Like the Bryan Cranston LBJ movie, which years ago would’ve been made for theaters.

“You’ve got people like Paul Schrader and Walter Hill who can’t get their movies theatrically distributed because there’s no market for it. So they end up going to VOD, and VOD is a model from which no one makes any money, because most of the time, as soon as they get on the site, they’re pirated. So the whole model of the system right now is completely broken. And whether or not anybody’s going to try to fix, or if it even can be fixed, I don’t know. But it’s certainly not the same business that I got into in the ’70s.”
~ Joe Dante