By David Poland

Sofia Vergara Kills On SNL, Outshining The Writing

There was some clever stuff on SNL this week, but the shocker was how great Sofia Vergara was by sheer force of personality. She wasn’t camera-hogging… she just turned on that extra gear when things were heading into trouble, much the way a good cast member on the show does.

The highlight for me was her Fran Drescher, which was fascinating because it played so successfully on Vergara’s own aural signature. (And I don’t remember Kristin Wiig doing a lot of celebrity imitations, but this one is perfect.) I included two other mediocre sketches in which I felt like Vergara raised the bar unexpectedly.

8 Responses to “Sofia Vergara Kills On SNL, Outshining The Writing”

1. She has a history of being better than what’s on the page. I first notieced her as what could have been a stereotypical ‘sassy Latino best friend’ in Tyler Perry’s MEET THE BROWNS. (Angela Bassett and Lance Gross are pretty good in it too). She brought a genuine wamrth and protective empathy that made her stand out in what should have been a stock part. She really excels at appearing to be someone who actually stand up for you/have your back in a pinch without judgment. I can’t put my finger on it, but it’s what makes her more than a sex symbol.

2. Daniella Isaacs says:

She was also one of the few guests on the show who wasn’t obviously reading from cue cards most of the time. Even some of the regulars were clearly looking at cue cards last night–and you can’t really blame them since they change stuff up until the end–but Vergara, for the most part, looked right at her costars in the scenes, as if she’d memorized everything, even whatever last minute changes they must have added. Wow.

3. mysteryperfecta says:

“And I don’t remember Kristin Wiig doing a lot of celebrity imitations, but this one is perfect.”

She looks nothing like Drew (as opposed to the other cast as their characters) but when Wiig opened her mouth… “perfect” is right.

4. J says:

The last time they did “Bein’ Quirky,” Wiig did her amazing Bjork. (And Deschanel, who was hosting, played one of the Olsen Twins.)

5. Rob says:

Wiig’s Bjork is amazing, as are her Kathie Lee Gifford, Suze Orman, Michele Bachmann, and Paula Deen.

6. Ace says:

funny how people forget how long she has been around. She was one of the good parts of Big Trouble in 2002

7. Peggy Sue says:

It was one of the best I’ve seen in a long time!

8. Don R. Lewis says:

I finally watched the ep last night and thought she and the episode were great. I’ve never been able to get into MODREN FAMILY but found Vergara extremely funny. That being said…

Isn’t she just Charro 2000?

She was totally reading cue cards. She made a mistake in the Gilly skit and waited for the card to flip back so she could try the line again.

Also…WTF is “One Direction?” That seemed like an 80’s boy band skit.

“I think [technology has[ its made my life faster, it’s made the ability to succeed easier. But has that made my life better? Is it better now than it was in the eighties or seventies? I don’t think we are happier. Maybe because I’m 55, I really am asking these questions… I really want to do meaningful things! This is also the time that I really want to focus on directing. I think that I will act less and less. I’ve been doing it for 52 years. It’s a long time to do one thing and I feel like there are a lot of stories that I got out of my system that I don’t need to tell anymore. I don’t need to ever do The Accused again! That is never going to happen again! You hit these milestones as an actor, and then you say, ‘Now what? Now what do I have to say?'”
~ Jodie Foster

“If there’s one rule Hollywood has metaphysically proven in its century of experimentation, it’s that there’s no amount of money you can’t squander in the quest for hits.

“Netflix has spent the past couple years attempting to brute-force jailbreak this law. Its counter-theory has seemed to be, sure, a billion dollars doesn’t guarantee quality but how about three billion dollars? How about five billion dollars? Seven?

“This week’s latest cinematic opus to run across no-man’s-land into the machine-gun emplacements has been the Jared Leto yakuza movie ‘The Outsider.’ Once again, debuting on Netflix, another thing called a movie that at one glance doesn’t look like any kind of movie anyone has ever seen before, outside of off-prime time screenings at the AFM.

“If you’re working at a normal studio, you have one or two of these total misfires in a year and people start calling for your head. How many is Netflix going on? Fifteen? Twenty? This quarter? Any normal company would be getting murdered over results like that.”
~ Richard Rushfield