Z

Sofia Vergara Kills On SNL, Outshining The Writing

There was some clever stuff on SNL this week, but the shocker was how great Sofia Vergara was by sheer force of personality. She wasn’t camera-hogging… she just turned on that extra gear when things were heading into trouble, much the way a good cast member on the show does.

The highlight for me was her Fran Drescher, which was fascinating because it played so successfully on Vergara’s own aural signature. (And I don’t remember Kristin Wiig doing a lot of celebrity imitations, but this one is perfect.) I included two other mediocre sketches in which I felt like Vergara raised the bar unexpectedly.

8 Responses to “Sofia Vergara Kills On SNL, Outshining The Writing”

1. She has a history of being better than what’s on the page. I first notieced her as what could have been a stereotypical ‘sassy Latino best friend’ in Tyler Perry’s MEET THE BROWNS. (Angela Bassett and Lance Gross are pretty good in it too). She brought a genuine wamrth and protective empathy that made her stand out in what should have been a stock part. She really excels at appearing to be someone who actually stand up for you/have your back in a pinch without judgment. I can’t put my finger on it, but it’s what makes her more than a sex symbol.

2. Daniella Isaacs says:

She was also one of the few guests on the show who wasn’t obviously reading from cue cards most of the time. Even some of the regulars were clearly looking at cue cards last night–and you can’t really blame them since they change stuff up until the end–but Vergara, for the most part, looked right at her costars in the scenes, as if she’d memorized everything, even whatever last minute changes they must have added. Wow.

3. mysteryperfecta says:

“And I don’t remember Kristin Wiig doing a lot of celebrity imitations, but this one is perfect.”

She looks nothing like Drew (as opposed to the other cast as their characters) but when Wiig opened her mouth… “perfect” is right.

4. J says:

The last time they did “Bein’ Quirky,” Wiig did her amazing Bjork. (And Deschanel, who was hosting, played one of the Olsen Twins.)

5. Rob says:

Wiig’s Bjork is amazing, as are her Kathie Lee Gifford, Suze Orman, Michele Bachmann, and Paula Deen.

6. Ace says:

funny how people forget how long she has been around. She was one of the good parts of Big Trouble in 2002

7. Peggy Sue says:

It was one of the best I’ve seen in a long time!

8. Don R. Lewis says:

I finally watched the ep last night and thought she and the episode were great. I’ve never been able to get into MODREN FAMILY but found Vergara extremely funny. That being said…

Isn’t she just Charro 2000?

She was totally reading cue cards. She made a mistake in the Gilly skit and waited for the card to flip back so she could try the line again.

Also…WTF is “One Direction?” That seemed like an 80’s boy band skit.

Z

“We don’t defy the laws of physics: There are no flying men or cars in this movie. So it made sense to do it old-school: real vehicles and real human beings in the desert. We shot the movie more or less in continuity, because the cars and the characters get really banged up along the way. The biggest benefit of digital technology for me was that the cameras were smaller and much more agile, so you could put them anywhere. We also spent a huge amount of time on spatial awareness—making sure the viewer could follow the action and understand what was happening. There has to be a strong causal connection from one shot to the next, just the same way that in music, there has to be a connection from one note to the next. Otherwise it’s just noise. Too often, if you just cram a lot of stuff into the frame, you get the illusion of a fast pace. But there’s no coherence. It doesn’t flow. It comes off as headbanging music, and it can be exhausting. We storyboarded the movie before we had a script: We had 3,500 boards, which helps the cast and crew understand how everything is going to fit together. Movies are getting faster and faster. The Road Warrior had 1,200 cuts. This one has 2,700 cuts. You have to treat it like a symphony.”
~ George Miller

“I was having issues with my script for It’s All About Love, so I called Ingmar Bergman and we ended up talking about everything but the script. He said, “Well, Festen is a masterpiece, so what are you going to do now?” At that point, I had not decided if I was going to make It’s All About Love, so I answered, “Hmmm, I don’t know. Maybe this, maybe that.” There was just a long pause, and then he said, “You’re fucked.” I said, “Well, how can you know?” “Well, Thomas, you always have to decide your next movie before the movie you’re doing presently opens.” And I said, “Why is that?” “Well, two things can happen. One thing is that you fail, and then you’ll feel scared and humiliated. It’ll get into your head. Second, and even worse, you have success, and then you’ll want more of it, or you’ll want to maintain it. But if you decide on your next film while you’re in the middle of editing, it becomes a very nonchalant choice. And then it’s shorter from the heart to the hand.”
~ Thomas Vinterberg