By DP30 david@thehotbuttonl.com

DP/30: Damsels in Distress, writer/director Whit Stillman

8 Responses to “DP/30: Damsels in Distress, writer/director Whit Stillman”

1. sanj says:

this seemed like a dp/60 … haven’t seen any of his films

dude needs to make some action films or something if he wants to get noticed

2. JKill says:

DAMSELS IN DISTRESS is great. I saw it some weeks back at an early screening as part of a Stillman retrospective. It’s probably his silliest, most broad and stylized film, which is part of its many charms. Gerwig is terrific in it. It’s a really fun and original film. I basically smiled the whole way through.

3. The Pope says:

Sanj, are you using an irony so deeply embedded I am completely unaware of it?

4. sanj says:

nah – he’s only made like 4-5 movies .. still haven’t seen them.

so give him a comic book movie then people will figure out who he is

5. The Pope says:

“so give him a comic book movie then people will figure out who he is”

So, Steven Spielberg has only just come on your radar? In which case, you might want to check out these directors: James Cameron, Martin Scorsese, David Fincher, Woody Allen, Clint Eastwood, Katheryn Bigelow, David Lynch, the Coen Brothers, Terence Mallick, Steven Soderbergh and Alexander Payne.

6. Yancy Skancy says:

I dig Stillman a lot, but in fairness to sanj (who I assume is a fairly young guy), this is his first film in 14 years, and his previous work hasn’t been canonized like that of, say, the similarly non-prolific Malick.

7. The Pope says:

Yancy Skancy,
    That’s fair enough. Although I’ve heard of these things called DVDs and they’re great because they allow me to watch films I missed in theaters.

8. Brian Street says:

Ha! Here he dances the Sambola lol

What about replacing Mr. Spacey with another actor? Mr. Plummer, perhaps.
“That would theoretically be fantastic,” Mr. Rothman said he responded. “But I have supervised 450 movies over the course of my career. And what you are saying is impossible. There is not enough time.”
~ Publicizing Sir Ridley’s Deadline Dash

“Would I like to see Wormwood in a theater on a big screen? You betcha. I’d be disingenuous to argue otherwise. But we’re all part of, like it or not, an industry, and what Netflix offers is an opportunity to do different kinds of films in different ways. Maybe part of what is being sacrificed is that they no longer go into theaters. If the choice is between not doing it at all and having it not go to theaters, it’s an easy choice to make.”
~ Errol Morris