By DP30

DP/30: Damsels in Distress, writer/director Whit Stillman

8 Responses to “DP/30: Damsels in Distress, writer/director Whit Stillman”

1. sanj says:

this seemed like a dp/60 … haven’t seen any of his films

dude needs to make some action films or something if he wants to get noticed

2. JKill says:

DAMSELS IN DISTRESS is great. I saw it some weeks back at an early screening as part of a Stillman retrospective. It’s probably his silliest, most broad and stylized film, which is part of its many charms. Gerwig is terrific in it. It’s a really fun and original film. I basically smiled the whole way through.

3. The Pope says:

Sanj, are you using an irony so deeply embedded I am completely unaware of it?

4. sanj says:

nah – he’s only made like 4-5 movies .. still haven’t seen them.

so give him a comic book movie then people will figure out who he is

5. The Pope says:

“so give him a comic book movie then people will figure out who he is”

So, Steven Spielberg has only just come on your radar? In which case, you might want to check out these directors: James Cameron, Martin Scorsese, David Fincher, Woody Allen, Clint Eastwood, Katheryn Bigelow, David Lynch, the Coen Brothers, Terence Mallick, Steven Soderbergh and Alexander Payne.

6. Yancy Skancy says:

I dig Stillman a lot, but in fairness to sanj (who I assume is a fairly young guy), this is his first film in 14 years, and his previous work hasn’t been canonized like that of, say, the similarly non-prolific Malick.

7. The Pope says:

Yancy Skancy,
    That’s fair enough. Although I’ve heard of these things called DVDs and they’re great because they allow me to watch films I missed in theaters.

8. Brian Street says:

Ha! Here he dances the Sambola lol

“To me, there was a deep confusion that still persists,” Morris told the crowd, “and I don’t know what you can do to disabuse people of this notion. I suppose you could hit them in the head with a large piece of lumber, but I’m not sure that would do the trick. It’s a simple rule: Style doesn’t guarantee truth. Truth is something far more elusive. Truth is a quest; you pursue truth. You go after it, you try to uncover it, because we all know that we live in a sea of falsehood. I mean, there shouldn’t be any tool that should be unavailable to you in the pursuit of truth.”
~ Errol Morris

“I hang out with highbrow people and I have on certain occasions earned my living with non-highbrow people. I don’t know what I am. A highbrow wannabe? I’m a groupie of intellectuals. I try to hang around them but maybe I am a clown who enjoys the company of intellectuals. Or maybe I’m a semi-intellectual who likes to hang out with clowns.”
~ Wallace Shawn