The Mister Rogers Doc You’ve Been Waiting For

6 Responses to “The Mister Rogers Doc You’ve Been Waiting For”

1. Yancy Skancy says:

Waiting for since “Summer 2010,” apparently.

MisterRogers was awesome. I would occasionally watch even as an adult with no kids. I won’t say I never watched it “ironically,” but for the most part I simply respected what he did and appreciated his approach to television.

The trailer doesn’t make this look like the most compelling documentary in the world, and I’m especially worried about the “& Me” part. (And doesn’t the title sound like an SNL parody of “Roger and Me,” with Michael Moore doing some sort of expose of MisterRogers?)

And I bet we won’t get to see “Lady Aberlin” toting firearms, like she does in RED STATE.

2. J says:

Ditto to what Yancy said: The “and Me” may be trying to capture the personal nature of the project, but really fouls the atmosphere with the sort of self-promotion that’s become so relentless and tiresome. Which goes against the spirit I associate with the man.

I’d be seven times as likely to see something simply called “Mister Rogers.”

3. Don Lewis says:

This clip of Mr. Rogers in the senate fighting for public television to continue to get support is pretty amazing. He was quite a guy:

4. hoopersx says:

X3

Not a very thoughtful or interesting title. Be that as it may, if it’s not more about the guy making the documentary and mostly about Mr Rogers, I’m in. So many great childhood memories. I would be fascinated to learn more about the man behind the scenes.

5. hcat says:

This seems like some NPR segment expanded to a doc’s length.

6. Paul D/Stella says:

Mister Rogers was the speaker at my commencement ceremony. I can’t really remember what he talked about. My mom loved it.

“If there are theories about me, I’d rather not know. Astrophysics – now that’s fascinating. String theory, worm holes, the expanding universe, the Big Bang versus the Big Bounce – those are the kind of theories that make you feel like living and understanding the mystery of the world. Film theory is just a pain in the ass.”
~ Claire Denis

“I had a knockoff Michael Kors bag that said MLK instead of MK. Jada told me that I shouldn’t have knockoff stuff. I told her that my philosophy is, Whatever the bag costs, I should be able to keep that amount of cash in the bag. If it’s a $300 purse, I have to put $300 in cash in that purse. I do not want a bag that is more expensive than the cash I have to put in it. Things are going good for me now, so I am graduating to your Fendis and your Guccis. But I better have the cash equivalent, or I’m not buying the purse. And if things start to go wrong, I’m going right back to my knockoffs. When you’re somebody like me, who’s been homeless, clothes are not that important. Clothes are not a roof over my head, food in my ­stomach, my family’s health—that’s what money is for. But fashion helps get more money. So, we ride.”
~ Tiffany Haddish