Matt Labov To Academy: You Are My Bitch.

“The Academy caught wind of our idea and pulled his tickets. They went to war with us, made threats, got embarrassed, panicked, and reversed their position only after the press backlash portrayed them as stodgy. Plain and simple, that’s how it happened.”

8 Responses to “Matt Labov To Academy: You Are My Bitch.”

1. waterbucket says:

Am I the only one who really don’t like Sasha Cohen after this debacle? What a stunt queen.

2. SamLowry says:

Well, what part of his career didn’t involve stunts? Go way back to Ali G and still all he’s doing is pretending to be a real journalist to get bizarre interviews with real newsmakers.

Take away the stunts and he’s a nobody, please.

3. waterbucket says:

That’s certainly true. But the other stunts were fun in spirit. This one not so much. I guess there are only so many stunts you can pull before it gets old.

4. Ivan says:

I think this was the deal between Sasha Baron Cohen and the Academy from the start, and it worked for both sides. I am definitely watching red carpet arrivals this year!

5. cadavra says:

Never liked the guy and wish Marty had cast someone else in HUGO.

6. Joe Straatmann says:

Even without Cohen in the role, it still would’ve felt like his character belonged in a different movie. His character seemed like he wandered out of Amelie. I could see Amelie trying to get him together with the flower girl, having it go wrong, blah blah blah. It’s weird that he’s the antagonist and he gets a scene where he gets carried off by the train where it goes a little too far. Yeah, we’re not supposed to like him at this point, but he’s also a war veteran with a disability who’s just doing his job. Was I supposed to laugh at that? It was part of the first hour that simply seemed it was setting up the movie Scorsese REALLY wanted to make.

7. grandcosmo says:

“Cohen said: ‘Victory is ours! Today the Mighty Nation of Wadiya triumphed over the Zionist snakes of Hollywood.’”

Another triumph by the power of marketing.

8. Krillian says:

Has anyone written a column yet this year about how the Academy Awards are too white? That would be a fantastic original column.

“Almodóvar–the first name is almost unnecessary–is a genius, is a flower, is a guiding light: the last, best son of Buñuel and so much more than that. His screenplays, which he directs with passion and fine care, have taught us about the exteriors of his native land and the interiors of our own hearts. From the early, manic experimental Super-8 work to the breakthrough Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, his titles are as evocative as most people’s screenplays. Yet for all their antic energy, Almodóvar’s films are deeply spiritual: watching his disturbing, mysterious, heart-rending Talk to Her is to understand, perhaps for the first time, the full meaning of grace. An Almodóvar screenplay is a running leap off a Gaudi balcony, it flips, soars, ascends, careens, tumbles, falls – always landing, astonishingly and astonished, on its feet.”
~ Howard A. Rodman, Announcing Almodóvar’s Jean Renoir Award

“I got a feeling I am going to win in the long run, but I want to be part of the zeitgeist, too. I want to support young girls who are in their 20s now and tell them: You’re not just imagining things. It’s tough. Everything that a guy says once, you have to say five times. Girls now are also faced with different problems. I’ve been guilty of one thing: After being the only girl in bands for 10 years, I learned—the hard way—that if I was going to get my ideas through, I was going to have to pretend that they—men—had the ideas. I became really good at this and I don’t even notice it myself. I don’t really have an ego. I’m not that bothered. I just want the whole thing to be good. And I’m not saying one bad thing about the guys who were with me in the bands, because they’re all amazing and creative, and they’re doing incredible things now. But I come from a generation where that was the only way to get things done. So I have to play stupid and just do everything with five times the amount of energy, and then it will come through.”
~ Björk to Jessica Hopper at Pitchfork