Matt Labov To Academy: You Are My Bitch.

“The Academy caught wind of our idea and pulled his tickets. They went to war with us, made threats, got embarrassed, panicked, and reversed their position only after the press backlash portrayed them as stodgy. Plain and simple, that’s how it happened.”

8 Responses to “Matt Labov To Academy: You Are My Bitch.”

1. waterbucket says:

Am I the only one who really don’t like Sasha Cohen after this debacle? What a stunt queen.

2. SamLowry says:

Well, what part of his career didn’t involve stunts? Go way back to Ali G and still all he’s doing is pretending to be a real journalist to get bizarre interviews with real newsmakers.

Take away the stunts and he’s a nobody, please.

3. waterbucket says:

That’s certainly true. But the other stunts were fun in spirit. This one not so much. I guess there are only so many stunts you can pull before it gets old.

4. Ivan says:

I think this was the deal between Sasha Baron Cohen and the Academy from the start, and it worked for both sides. I am definitely watching red carpet arrivals this year!

5. cadavra says:

Never liked the guy and wish Marty had cast someone else in HUGO.

6. Joe Straatmann says:

Even without Cohen in the role, it still would’ve felt like his character belonged in a different movie. His character seemed like he wandered out of Amelie. I could see Amelie trying to get him together with the flower girl, having it go wrong, blah blah blah. It’s weird that he’s the antagonist and he gets a scene where he gets carried off by the train where it goes a little too far. Yeah, we’re not supposed to like him at this point, but he’s also a war veteran with a disability who’s just doing his job. Was I supposed to laugh at that? It was part of the first hour that simply seemed it was setting up the movie Scorsese REALLY wanted to make.

7. grandcosmo says:

“Cohen said: ‘Victory is ours! Today the Mighty Nation of Wadiya triumphed over the Zionist snakes of Hollywood.'”

Another triumph by the power of marketing.

8. Krillian says:

Has anyone written a column yet this year about how the Academy Awards are too white? That would be a fantastic original column.

“Critics have said that I’ve made a career out of confounding expectations. Really? Because that’s all I do? That’s how I think about it. Confounding expectations. Like I stay up late at night thinking about how to do it. “What do you do for a living, man?” “Oh, I confound expectations.” You’re going to get a job, the man says, “What do you do?” “Oh, confound expectations. And the man says, “Well, we already have that spot filled. Call us back. Or don’t call us, we’ll call you.” Confounding expectations. I don’t even know what that means or who has time for it.”
~ Bob Dylan

“There was somebody from Creative Screenwriting Magazine who was here earlier, and she said ‘Have you got any advice for writers?’ and I said, ‘Yeah, write standing up’. Because this time around, I bought a cheap little stand off Amazon, and I wrote standing up, because it’s slightly uncomfortable – it’s not so uncomfortable that you can’t do it, it’s slightly uncomfortable. And it means you don’t end up going on the internet, basically, because you’re there to do a fucking job. So I’ll write for 25 minutes… then I’ll go and play on the PlayStation for a bit. And I do this all night. I go nocturnal. And then I go back and I’ll write a bit more, and then I go back to the PlayStation, and then I go back… And hopefully by then, I’ll lose track of time and then I’ll be writing for fucking ages, and then there’s a point where you get excited about it. So my advice for writers is always: write standing up, and get Scrivener, and write in 25 minute bursts, and get a PlayStation.”
~ Charlie Brooker