By DP30 david@thehotbuttonl.com

DP/30: Hugo, editor Thelma Schoonmaker

8 Responses to “DP/30: Hugo, editor Thelma Schoonmaker”

1. lotsofpills says:

One of your “all-time top 10 wanna-gets?”

2. arisp says:

Awesome. Another great interview DP

3. John in LA says:

Any chance of getting an mp3 of this posted David?

4. Paul Zucker says:

Wonderful. But you forgot to add “Industry Legend”

5. Ejz says:

Fantastic interview David, thank you very much!

6. Tyrone Rubin says:

I have been gaining so much value from the DP/30 channel. Its one of those things where at times the long format interviews that pop up seem too good to be true. for film content in terms of learning that does not happen often. I cherish this channel with all my heart. I was looking through MCN and DP/30 trying to find out who the person is doing the interviews. I want to give massive shout outs on twitter, wherever. Who are you? magical master of the most amazing film learning content online. You always make my day, always!

7. Stephen Holt says:

Excellent interview, David! Excellent!

DP/30

“Dude, I don’t like the way you talk, bro. How can you tell me that it’s going to be hard? Do you see a lot of people like you writing stories? Give me a break, bro. That’s your strength, that you’re not like us. Go out there and tell your stories. Don’t go out there and try to be like Quentin or me or anybody else. We need you. Tell me what makes you angry, why you’re arrogant, or fearful, whatever it is. Don’t hide anything. Be honest. What is that thing that bothers you and makes you distinct? Everyone’s looking for you. A Mexican point-of-view to tell a story right now? I’m telling you, everybody wants that right now. I desperately need you to tell your story in your way. You are essential.”
~ M. Night Shyamalan

“My films are always brought to life from an idea, a coincidence, or a dreamlike magic. An ephemeral moment that settles in my mind and starts to bloom. The plot slowly appears before my eyes, and there’s nothing left but to write it. I actually do use a mood board. And location scouting is essential to the realization of the film. I’m inspired by architecture — the beauty of certain neighborhoods, the mystery in odd buildings, or streets that suggest psychoanalytic theories. I only choose my actors after I write the script.”
~ Dario Argento