By DP30 david@thehotbuttonl.com

DP/30: Hugo, editor Thelma Schoonmaker

8 Responses to “DP/30: Hugo, editor Thelma Schoonmaker”

1. lotsofpills says:

One of your “all-time top 10 wanna-gets?”

2. arisp says:

Awesome. Another great interview DP

3. John in LA says:

Any chance of getting an mp3 of this posted David?

4. Paul Zucker says:

Wonderful. But you forgot to add “Industry Legend”

5. Ejz says:

Fantastic interview David, thank you very much!

6. Tyrone Rubin says:

I have been gaining so much value from the DP/30 channel. Its one of those things where at times the long format interviews that pop up seem too good to be true. for film content in terms of learning that does not happen often. I cherish this channel with all my heart. I was looking through MCN and DP/30 trying to find out who the person is doing the interviews. I want to give massive shout outs on twitter, wherever. Who are you? magical master of the most amazing film learning content online. You always make my day, always!

7. Stephen Holt says:

Excellent interview, David! Excellent!

DP/30

“Let’s lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. But, unlike a team of costumed super-villains, they can’t be halted with a punch in the snoot, or a zap from a ray gun. The only way to destroy them is to expose them—to reveal them for the insidious evils they really are. The bigot is an unreasoning hater—one who hates blindly, fanatically, indiscriminately. If his hang-up is black men, he hates ALL black men. If a redhead once offended him, he hates ALL redheads. If some foreigner beat him to a job, he’s down on ALL foreigners. He hates people he’s never seen—people he’s never known—with equal intensity—with equal venom. Now, we’re not trying to say it’s unreasonable for one human being to bug another. But, although anyone has the right to dislike another individual, it’s totally irrational, patently insane to condemn an entire race—to despise an entire nation—to vilify an entire religion. Sooner or later, we must learn to judge each other on our own merits. Sooner or later, if man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill out hearts with tolerance. For then, and only then, will we be truly worthy of the concept that man was created in the image of God–a God who calls us ALL—His children.”
~ Stan Lee, 1965

“I’m more and more interested in Godard’s idea that not much matters except dealing with the present moment, that when you look at history, you’ve got to refract it through your awareness of the present. I mean, I’m interested in history, and here I am talking about biopics, but I don’t want to run from the present. And the idea of time-travel through CGI feels like a magic trick that might be an evasion of other issues. Besides, I like working with real actors in real spaces. Can’t help it.”
~ Michael Almereyda