By DP30 david@thehotbuttonl.com

DP/30: Like Crazy, actor Anton Yelchin

11 Responses to “DP/30: Like Crazy, actor Anton Yelchin”

1. LexG says:

Can someone give me a Rage-O-Meter warning of what level I’m gonna reach if I watch this? One being usual Internet smirking, 5 being “drink heavily,” 11 being apocalyptic self-hated noose-constructing fury?

Thanks in advance.

2. sanj says:

LexG – standard dp/30 interview – lots of talk about his acting … but funny joke at 28:00 to 32:00 .

Should I be putting you in moderate now?

Anton is a good guy… self-deprecating… interesting perspective… talks about working his way up the ladder over a lot of time…

Not sure what will piss you off.

4. LexG says:

List of Anton Yelchin leading ladies. Anton. Yelchin. As in women he has been paired with on screen:

Kat Dennings, Amanda Seyfried, Felicity Jones, Jennifer Lawrence (twice), *KRISTEN STEWART*, WILLA HOLLAND, and Imogen Poots. How does he do it? How do they cast him in movies with THOSE WOMEN? Do you ask him about that? HOW HOW HOW? And what is one’s life even LIKE knowing they’ve been in movies with those women, which is better than even having a relationship in real life with them, because as long as the movie lasts, people will be seeing you ON SCREEN paired with ALMOST ALL of the hottest chicks in Hollywood.

Do you ask him about that? Like how do you ACT IN A MOVIE with ANY of those chicks, ANY of them, and not think you’re the luckiest fucker in the history of the UNIVERSE?

And he’s ANTON YELCHIN! Sure he’s a nice kid, decent actor, but… it’s not like he’s Joel Edgerton or something where you could see why he’d always be paired with hot chicks.

5. sanj says:

LexG – he did talk about Brit Marling for like 1 minute – they seem to be friends .

however. DP missed out on a lot of basic movie questions like reviews of her movie and reviews of movies he likes. he knows a lot of movies.

DP – cut the Kim K joke and put that up and let it go viral.

6. DiscoNap says:

Lex how could you not go with your “Billy Crystal in Soap” line again, one of your most devastatingly accurate ever?

7. Paul MD (Stella's Boy) says:

I like Yelchin. Talented young actor. Did not enjoy Like Crazy at all, and totally mystified by the glowing reviews. Didn’t buy the central couple as deeply, madly in love and didn’t care if they ended up together. Found them both rather irritating most of the time.

8. Rob says:

He’s really modest and appealing in this interview. If you’re looking for an actor in his early twenties and don’t want a Zac Efron/Chace Crawford tiger beat type, who else do you cast?

9. Anghus says:

Good actor. Looking forward to seeing where he goes in his career.

I think he could use help with picking projects. Fright Night was pretty bad. And his filmography outside of Star Trek and an awful Terminator movie reads like a list of well intentioned misfires that have been generally ignored by everyone.

I liked him in Charlie Bartlett. In every other film ive seen him in he seems totally replacable.

10. berg says:

good int ….. in his bio Frank Capra says he’d tape record the sounds of the preview audiences, then listen afterwards and use that to cut jokes that weren’t working

11. Lofin says:

Great interview. Anton is not only intelligent and talented he is my favourite young actor working today. I’d have liked you´ll make him any question about his next projects like Odd Thomas, the indie movie call Pete & Goat and the rumor about that movie Very good girls.

DP/30

“I was 15 when I first watched Sally Hardesty escape into the back of a pickup truck, covered in blood and cackling like a goddamn witch. All of her friends were dead. She had been kidnapped, tortured and even forced to feed her own blood to her cannibalistic captors’ impossibly shriveled patriarch. Being new to the horror genre, I was sure she was going to die. It had been a few months since I survived a violent sexual assault, where I subsequently ran from my assailant, tripped, fell and fought like hell. I crawled home with bloody knees, makeup-stained cheeks and a new void in both my mind and heart. My sense of safety, my ability to trust others, my willingness to form new relationships and my love of spending time with people I cared about were all taken from me. It wasn’t until I found the original The Texas Chain Saw Massacre that something clicked. It was Sally’s strength, and her resilience. It was watching her survive blows to the head from a hammer. It was watching her break free from her bonds and burst through a glass window. It was watching her get back up after she’d been stabbed. It was watching her crawl into the back of a truck, laughing as it drove away from Leatherface. She was the last one to confront the killer, and live. I remember sitting in front of the TV and thinking, There I am. That’s me.”
~ Lauren Milici On “The Final Girl”

“‘Thriller’ enforced its own reality principle; it was there, part of the every commute, a serenade to every errand, a referent to every purchase, a fact of every life. You didn’t have to like it, you only had to acknowledge it. By July 6, 1984, when the Jacksons played the first show of their ‘Victory’ tour, in Kansas City, Missouri, Jacksonism had produced a system of commodification so complete that whatever and whoever was admitted to it instantly became a new commodity. People were no longer comsuming commodities as such things are conventionally understood (records, videos, posters, books, magazines, key rings, earrings necklaces pins buttons wigs voice-altering devices Pepsis t-shirts underwear hats scarves gloves jackets – and why were there no jeans called Bille Jeans?); they were consuming their own gestures of consumption. That is, they were consuming not a Tayloristic Michael Jackson, or any licensed facsimile, but themselves. Riding a Mobius strip of pure capitalism, that was the transubstantiation.”
~ Greil Marcus On Michael Jackson