By DP30 david@thehotbuttonl.com

DP/30: Like Crazy, actor Anton Yelchin

11 Responses to “DP/30: Like Crazy, actor Anton Yelchin”

1. LexG says:

Can someone give me a Rage-O-Meter warning of what level I’m gonna reach if I watch this? One being usual Internet smirking, 5 being “drink heavily,” 11 being apocalyptic self-hated noose-constructing fury?

Thanks in advance.

2. sanj says:

LexG – standard dp/30 interview – lots of talk about his acting … but funny joke at 28:00 to 32:00 .

Should I be putting you in moderate now?

Anton is a good guy… self-deprecating… interesting perspective… talks about working his way up the ladder over a lot of time…

Not sure what will piss you off.

4. LexG says:

List of Anton Yelchin leading ladies. Anton. Yelchin. As in women he has been paired with on screen:

Kat Dennings, Amanda Seyfried, Felicity Jones, Jennifer Lawrence (twice), *KRISTEN STEWART*, WILLA HOLLAND, and Imogen Poots. How does he do it? How do they cast him in movies with THOSE WOMEN? Do you ask him about that? HOW HOW HOW? And what is one’s life even LIKE knowing they’ve been in movies with those women, which is better than even having a relationship in real life with them, because as long as the movie lasts, people will be seeing you ON SCREEN paired with ALMOST ALL of the hottest chicks in Hollywood.

Do you ask him about that? Like how do you ACT IN A MOVIE with ANY of those chicks, ANY of them, and not think you’re the luckiest fucker in the history of the UNIVERSE?

And he’s ANTON YELCHIN! Sure he’s a nice kid, decent actor, but… it’s not like he’s Joel Edgerton or something where you could see why he’d always be paired with hot chicks.

5. sanj says:

LexG – he did talk about Brit Marling for like 1 minute – they seem to be friends .

however. DP missed out on a lot of basic movie questions like reviews of her movie and reviews of movies he likes. he knows a lot of movies.

DP – cut the Kim K joke and put that up and let it go viral.

6. DiscoNap says:

Lex how could you not go with your “Billy Crystal in Soap” line again, one of your most devastatingly accurate ever?

7. Paul MD (Stella's Boy) says:

I like Yelchin. Talented young actor. Did not enjoy Like Crazy at all, and totally mystified by the glowing reviews. Didn’t buy the central couple as deeply, madly in love and didn’t care if they ended up together. Found them both rather irritating most of the time.

8. Rob says:

He’s really modest and appealing in this interview. If you’re looking for an actor in his early twenties and don’t want a Zac Efron/Chace Crawford tiger beat type, who else do you cast?

9. Anghus says:

Good actor. Looking forward to seeing where he goes in his career.

I think he could use help with picking projects. Fright Night was pretty bad. And his filmography outside of Star Trek and an awful Terminator movie reads like a list of well intentioned misfires that have been generally ignored by everyone.

I liked him in Charlie Bartlett. In every other film ive seen him in he seems totally replacable.

10. berg says:

good int ….. in his bio Frank Capra says he’d tape record the sounds of the preview audiences, then listen afterwards and use that to cut jokes that weren’t working

11. Lofin says:

Great interview. Anton is not only intelligent and talented he is my favourite young actor working today. I’d have liked you´ll make him any question about his next projects like Odd Thomas, the indie movie call Pete & Goat and the rumor about that movie Very good girls.

“I run a movie for myself the first time, and if I can forget I had anything to do with the picture, and I’m halfway through the movie and I’m just the audience, then that is my litmus test for a film working. It doesn’t mean it’s going to work for anybody outside of myself, but when I lose the aesthetic distance between the screen and where I’m sitting, the first time I run a picture that I’ve directed for myself, if I’m aware to the very end that I’m the director, and all I can do is find things to fault, then I know I have my work cut out for me. And I have to roll up my sleeves and fix everything. But when I can watch a movie and I can forget that I made the movie, that’s the first sign that I’m going to be pretty happy with it, that I’m going to be able to live with it.”
~ Steven Spielberg On When He Thinks A Movie Is Working

“I was brought up on newspapers. I love newspapers. I love old-fashioned newspapers, but today I read them on the Internet because of time. And in New York, I read the morning papers, then I read the London papers on my iPad. But entertainment is very important. With broadband coming, everything is changing. People now spend four or five hours on their iPhones, their smartphones, which is changing the world totally. I found it with my young children. They are on their iPhones while they are watching television, doing two things at once. The fact that now we have 2.5 billion people with smartphones, with access to knowledge all over the world, with access to each other, government is going to change, the world is going to change. And it’s going to change very fast. We’ve only had smartphones for eight years, and now we have 2.5 billion of them. In another eight years, we will have 5 billion. The whole world will be on them… If newspapers have opinions, if they are really well-written, if they’re very reliable, people will pay for them. Then they are viable. We found [that] with the Wall Street Journal. You have newspapers on the Internet which are so good people will pay for them. There are people who steal things, rewrite them and put them out, like Google, but they are not reliable at all.”
~ Rupert Murdoch