By DP30 david@thehotbuttonl.com

DP/30: Like Crazy, actor Anton Yelchin

11 Responses to “DP/30: Like Crazy, actor Anton Yelchin”

1. LexG says:

Can someone give me a Rage-O-Meter warning of what level I’m gonna reach if I watch this? One being usual Internet smirking, 5 being “drink heavily,” 11 being apocalyptic self-hated noose-constructing fury?

Thanks in advance.

2. sanj says:

LexG – standard dp/30 interview – lots of talk about his acting … but funny joke at 28:00 to 32:00 .

Should I be putting you in moderate now?

Anton is a good guy… self-deprecating… interesting perspective… talks about working his way up the ladder over a lot of time…

Not sure what will piss you off.

4. LexG says:

List of Anton Yelchin leading ladies. Anton. Yelchin. As in women he has been paired with on screen:

Kat Dennings, Amanda Seyfried, Felicity Jones, Jennifer Lawrence (twice), *KRISTEN STEWART*, WILLA HOLLAND, and Imogen Poots. How does he do it? How do they cast him in movies with THOSE WOMEN? Do you ask him about that? HOW HOW HOW? And what is one’s life even LIKE knowing they’ve been in movies with those women, which is better than even having a relationship in real life with them, because as long as the movie lasts, people will be seeing you ON SCREEN paired with ALMOST ALL of the hottest chicks in Hollywood.

Do you ask him about that? Like how do you ACT IN A MOVIE with ANY of those chicks, ANY of them, and not think you’re the luckiest fucker in the history of the UNIVERSE?

And he’s ANTON YELCHIN! Sure he’s a nice kid, decent actor, but… it’s not like he’s Joel Edgerton or something where you could see why he’d always be paired with hot chicks.

5. sanj says:

LexG – he did talk about Brit Marling for like 1 minute – they seem to be friends .

however. DP missed out on a lot of basic movie questions like reviews of her movie and reviews of movies he likes. he knows a lot of movies.

DP – cut the Kim K joke and put that up and let it go viral.

6. DiscoNap says:

Lex how could you not go with your “Billy Crystal in Soap” line again, one of your most devastatingly accurate ever?

7. Paul MD (Stella's Boy) says:

I like Yelchin. Talented young actor. Did not enjoy Like Crazy at all, and totally mystified by the glowing reviews. Didn’t buy the central couple as deeply, madly in love and didn’t care if they ended up together. Found them both rather irritating most of the time.

8. Rob says:

He’s really modest and appealing in this interview. If you’re looking for an actor in his early twenties and don’t want a Zac Efron/Chace Crawford tiger beat type, who else do you cast?

9. Anghus says:

Good actor. Looking forward to seeing where he goes in his career.

I think he could use help with picking projects. Fright Night was pretty bad. And his filmography outside of Star Trek and an awful Terminator movie reads like a list of well intentioned misfires that have been generally ignored by everyone.

I liked him in Charlie Bartlett. In every other film ive seen him in he seems totally replacable.

10. berg says:

good int ….. in his bio Frank Capra says he’d tape record the sounds of the preview audiences, then listen afterwards and use that to cut jokes that weren’t working

11. Lofin says:

Great interview. Anton is not only intelligent and talented he is my favourite young actor working today. I’d have liked you´ll make him any question about his next projects like Odd Thomas, the indie movie call Pete & Goat and the rumor about that movie Very good girls.

DP/30

“Almodóvar–the first name is almost unnecessary–is a genius, is a flower, is a guiding light: the last, best son of Buñuel and so much more than that. His screenplays, which he directs with passion and fine care, have taught us about the exteriors of his native land and the interiors of our own hearts. From the early, manic experimental Super-8 work to the breakthrough Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, his titles are as evocative as most people’s screenplays. Yet for all their antic energy, Almodóvar’s films are deeply spiritual: watching his disturbing, mysterious, heart-rending Talk to Her is to understand, perhaps for the first time, the full meaning of grace. An Almodóvar screenplay is a running leap off a Gaudi balcony, it flips, soars, ascends, careens, tumbles, falls – always landing, astonishingly and astonished, on its feet.”
~ Howard A. Rodman, Announcing Almodóvar’s Jean Renoir Award

“I got a feeling I am going to win in the long run, but I want to be part of the zeitgeist, too. I want to support young girls who are in their 20s now and tell them: You’re not just imagining things. It’s tough. Everything that a guy says once, you have to say five times. Girls now are also faced with different problems. I’ve been guilty of one thing: After being the only girl in bands for 10 years, I learned—the hard way—that if I was going to get my ideas through, I was going to have to pretend that they—men—had the ideas. I became really good at this and I don’t even notice it myself. I don’t really have an ego. I’m not that bothered. I just want the whole thing to be good. And I’m not saying one bad thing about the guys who were with me in the bands, because they’re all amazing and creative, and they’re doing incredible things now. But I come from a generation where that was the only way to get things done. So I have to play stupid and just do everything with five times the amount of energy, and then it will come through.”
~ Björk to Jessica Hopper at Pitchfork