By DP30 david@thehotbuttonl.com

DP/30: Like Crazy, actor Anton Yelchin

11 Responses to “DP/30: Like Crazy, actor Anton Yelchin”

1. LexG says:

Can someone give me a Rage-O-Meter warning of what level I’m gonna reach if I watch this? One being usual Internet smirking, 5 being “drink heavily,” 11 being apocalyptic self-hated noose-constructing fury?

Thanks in advance.

2. sanj says:

LexG – standard dp/30 interview – lots of talk about his acting … but funny joke at 28:00 to 32:00 .

Should I be putting you in moderate now?

Anton is a good guy… self-deprecating… interesting perspective… talks about working his way up the ladder over a lot of time…

Not sure what will piss you off.

4. LexG says:

List of Anton Yelchin leading ladies. Anton. Yelchin. As in women he has been paired with on screen:

Kat Dennings, Amanda Seyfried, Felicity Jones, Jennifer Lawrence (twice), *KRISTEN STEWART*, WILLA HOLLAND, and Imogen Poots. How does he do it? How do they cast him in movies with THOSE WOMEN? Do you ask him about that? HOW HOW HOW? And what is one’s life even LIKE knowing they’ve been in movies with those women, which is better than even having a relationship in real life with them, because as long as the movie lasts, people will be seeing you ON SCREEN paired with ALMOST ALL of the hottest chicks in Hollywood.

Do you ask him about that? Like how do you ACT IN A MOVIE with ANY of those chicks, ANY of them, and not think you’re the luckiest fucker in the history of the UNIVERSE?

And he’s ANTON YELCHIN! Sure he’s a nice kid, decent actor, but… it’s not like he’s Joel Edgerton or something where you could see why he’d always be paired with hot chicks.

5. sanj says:

LexG – he did talk about Brit Marling for like 1 minute – they seem to be friends .

however. DP missed out on a lot of basic movie questions like reviews of her movie and reviews of movies he likes. he knows a lot of movies.

DP – cut the Kim K joke and put that up and let it go viral.

6. DiscoNap says:

Lex how could you not go with your “Billy Crystal in Soap” line again, one of your most devastatingly accurate ever?

7. Paul MD (Stella's Boy) says:

I like Yelchin. Talented young actor. Did not enjoy Like Crazy at all, and totally mystified by the glowing reviews. Didn’t buy the central couple as deeply, madly in love and didn’t care if they ended up together. Found them both rather irritating most of the time.

8. Rob says:

He’s really modest and appealing in this interview. If you’re looking for an actor in his early twenties and don’t want a Zac Efron/Chace Crawford tiger beat type, who else do you cast?

9. Anghus says:

Good actor. Looking forward to seeing where he goes in his career.

I think he could use help with picking projects. Fright Night was pretty bad. And his filmography outside of Star Trek and an awful Terminator movie reads like a list of well intentioned misfires that have been generally ignored by everyone.

I liked him in Charlie Bartlett. In every other film ive seen him in he seems totally replacable.

10. berg says:

good int ….. in his bio Frank Capra says he’d tape record the sounds of the preview audiences, then listen afterwards and use that to cut jokes that weren’t working

11. Lofin says:

Great interview. Anton is not only intelligent and talented he is my favourite young actor working today. I’d have liked you´ll make him any question about his next projects like Odd Thomas, the indie movie call Pete & Goat and the rumor about that movie Very good girls.

DP/30

“I am just grateful I am still around. I would love to be Steven Soderbergh, but I am lucky to be Joe Swanberg. Actors want to work with me, people want to give me money, and my nightmare scenario remains: Getting in bed with a studio, spending years on a movie, and it turns out horrible, but now I’m rich.”

Actually, by Hollywood standards, you’re right, I said. That is unambitious.

“It is, and yet, if you can go to bed happy at night, doing what you want, isn’t that ambition for a lifetime?”
~ Swanberg On Swanberg By Borelli

“In retrospect, nothing of that kind surprised me about Philip, because his intuition was luminous from the instant you met him. So was his intelligence. A lot of actors act intelligent, but Philip was the real thing: a shining, artistic polymath with an intelligence that came at you like a pair of headlights and enveloped you from the moment he grabbed your hand, put a huge arm round your neck and shoved a cheek against yours; or if the mood took him, hugged you to him like a big, pudgy schoolboy, then stood and beamed at you while he took stock of the effect.”
John le Carré on Philip Seymour Hoffman