By DP30 david@thehotbuttonl.com

DP/30: The Skin I Live In, actors Antonio Banderas, Elena Anaya

SPOILER WARNING!!! We try not to talk about the surprises in the movie too much… but it’s impossible.

9 Responses to “DP/30: The Skin I Live In, actors Antonio Banderas, Elena Anaya”

1. jennab says:

An EXCELLENT DP/30! Banderas is astonishingly thoughtful and articulate, with some sort of multiple for that charming accent. Anaya equally so. Movie sounds creepy as hell, but this interview may have persuaded me to see it. Well done! Did I miss the Almodovar interview, or is it coming?

2. Bob Giovanelli says:

I haven’t watched too many of your DP/30s, but if they’re as good as this was, I’ll keep watching. After seeing the film at the NY Film Festival press/industry screening this week, I was curious to see Antonio talk this afternoon at the Apple Store on the upper west side. Glad I watched this on a day I need to take a break from all things film festivals (combining a Hamptons Film Festival visit too this week with working NYFF)…as your interview with he and Elena was probably more entertaining than the crowded Apple Store will no doubt be in a half hour from now.

3. Driver says:

Broadway Bob?! Flip the block…

4. Peter says:

I don’t understand many critics consider The Skin I Live In as a lesser Pedro movie. If anything, it’s more entertaining and fun than most. It’s completely ludicrous, but so much fun to watch. No one can do melodrama better than Pedro.

It’s a great movie. And the people who don’t enjoy it’s pleasures need the stick removed from their collective buttocks.

6. Breedlove says:

Almodovar is easily one of the ten best filmmakers in the world. I have a hard time picturing him making a bad movie, or even a mediocre one at this point.

7. Krillian says:

Kinda angry that the third act is what it is, because I read about a year ago what I thought was the basic plot; now I see it’s the Big Surprise of 2011.

8. The Pope says:

Sorry I’m not cheering from the gallery. I’m a big, big fan of Pedro and agree with Breedlove that he is one the ten best on the planet… but… I wasn’t involved in this one. Then again, he has been on such a searing run for the last 10 years, maybe I’ve become a little spoiled.

My god, Elena Anaya is stunning, achingly beautiful.

Great interview David, thanks.

9. movieman says:

Does anyone else think that “Skin” is getting the short end of the stick this awards season?
    Almodovar is so dependably great, and so wildly prolific, that people (critics and audiences alike) have begun taking him for granted.
    Call it the “Woody Allen Curse.”

DP/30

“To make work out of your own imagination is an invitation to a lot of unforgiving hard slog, failure, satisfaction which doesn’t last long, more failure, discontent, maybe a prize, a bit more satisfaction, self doubt, dissatisfaction, lots more hard work and so on and so on. But anyone who’s persisted and written something and got to the end and even better had it published or performed learns quickly that the hard slog, the frustrations, the blind alleys and dead ends and scenes that don’t work and great ideas that turn to dust are in fact a big part of the work. The reward for the agony is not the ecstasy of Chuck Heston finishing the Sistine Chapel but still more agony that might also include some kind of not pleasure exactly, maybe a brief, terrible joy.”
~ Australian playwright Michael Gow

“People react primarily to direct experience and not to abstractions; it is very rare to find anyone who can become emotionally involved with an abstraction. The longer the bomb is around without anything happening, the better the job that people do in psychologically denying its existence. It has become as abstract as the fact that we are all going to die someday, which we usually do an excellent job of denying. For this reason, most people have very little interest in nuclear war. It has become even less interesting as a problem than, say, city government, and the longer a nuclear event is postponed, the greater becomes the illusion that we are constantly building up security, like interest at the bank. As time goes on, the danger increases, I believe, because the thing becomes more and more remote in people’s minds. No one can predict the panic that suddenly arises when all the lights go out — that indefinable something that can make a leader abandon his carefully laid plans. A lot of effort has gone into trying to imagine possible nuclear accidents and to protect against them. But whether the human imagination is really capable of encompassing all the subtle permutations and psychological variants of these possibilities, I doubt. The nuclear strategists who make up all those war scenarios are never as inventive as reality, and political and military leaders are never as sophisticated as they think they are.”
~ Stanley Kubrick