The Campaign for The Lady Launches

9 Responses to “The Campaign for The Lady Launches”

1. LexG says:

I don’t get why the MIGHTY Luc Besson is doing this of all things… Seems like a PURE medicine movie, won’t make much money, and it’s been proven time and again that Americans don’t care about these epic Eastern humanitarian movies (Kundun, Beyond Rangoon, Anna and the King, Red Corner)… Come to think of it, wasn’t Boorman’s Beyond Rangoon ALSO about the EXACT same story– ONG SONG SUCHEE or whatever her name was? Other than some dippy Westside Yogi, does anyone in America have interest in this material? Starring a 50-year-old Asian actress? Good luck.

I want the old Luc Besson back; I go to Luc Besson movies to see lanky, anorexic, slightly boyish supermodels in fetish wear shooting off oversized guns… I don’t care about ONG SONG SUCHEE.

2. Joe Leydon says:

Oddly enough, both posters look like Hatch Show Prints.

3. sloanish says:

I know it’s subjective and they’re both wonderful, but is this the first time where you could argue that the actor is less attractive than the subject?

4. LexG says:

they should of had her played by jennifer morrison

5. cadavra says:

You guys do realize that Yeoh is drop-dead gorgeous and that’s MAKEUP!!!!!!!

6. Edward Wilson says:

Luc Besson’s Pearl Harbor.

7. palmtree says:

Luc Besson is making Oscar bait, right?

8. yancyskancy says:

Lex, don’t worry – COLOMBIANA is on the way (even though Besson isn’t in the director’s chair).

I think it’s cool that Yeoh is getting an Oscar bait role; hope it’s good.

9. LexG says:

COLOMBIANA POWER MEGATON POWER SALDANA POWER VARTAN POWER MOLLA POWER.

If you’re not going to see COLOMBIANA SIXTEEN TIMES this weekend, you should be banned from movies.

Only thing is, why is it PG-13? Aw fuck it, getting kinda sick of that whole AICN thing where dorks get all HOSTILE if something isn’t HARD R. Who cares, what’s more awesome, hot chicks and guns, or a bunch of explicit squib shots?

“TIFF doesn’t make attendance numbers for its Lightbox screenings publicly available, so it’s difficult to gauge exactly how many filmgoers the Lightbox is attracting (or how much money it’s bringing in). But the King Street West venue hasn’t become a significant draw for film enthusiasts. The Lightbox’s attendance has plunged – 49,000 fewer visitors last year, a drop of 27 per cent, according to figures recently reported in the Toronto Star. Its gallery space – designed to showcase the visions of cinema’s most iconic filmmakers – saw most of its exhibitions staff quietly axed this past fall. And its marketing barely escapes the Lightbox’s walls. Unless you are a TIFF member or one of the city’s most avid filmgoers, you could walk by the Lightbox and remain blissfully unaware of a single thing that goes on inside. TIFF “still has a world-class brand,” said Barry Avrich, a filmmaker and former board member, “but it’s going to take some fresh vision from retail, consumer programming and marketing experts, given how the lines have become intensely blurred when it comes to how people watch film. They will have to experiment with programming to find the right blend of function and relevance.”
~ Globe & Mail Epic On State of Toronto Int’l (paywalled)

“I’m 87 years old… I only eat so I can smoke and stay alive… The only fear I have is how long consciousness is gonna hang on after my body goes. I just hope there’s nothing. Like there was before I was born. I’m not really into religion, they’re all macrocosms of the ego. When man began to think he was a separate person with a separate soul, it created a violent situation.

“The void, the concept of nothingness, is terrifying to most people on the planet. And I get anxiety attacks myself. I know the fear of that void. You have to learn to die before you die. You give up, surrender to the void, to nothingness.

“Anybody else you’ve interviewed bring these things up? Hang on, I gotta take this call… Hey, brother. That’s great, man. Yeah, I’m being interviewed… We’re talking about nothing. I’ve got him well-steeped in nothing right now. He’s stopped asking questions.”
~ Harry Dean Stanton