The Campaign for The Lady Launches

9 Responses to “The Campaign for The Lady Launches”

1. LexG says:

I don’t get why the MIGHTY Luc Besson is doing this of all things… Seems like a PURE medicine movie, won’t make much money, and it’s been proven time and again that Americans don’t care about these epic Eastern humanitarian movies (Kundun, Beyond Rangoon, Anna and the King, Red Corner)… Come to think of it, wasn’t Boorman’s Beyond Rangoon ALSO about the EXACT same story– ONG SONG SUCHEE or whatever her name was? Other than some dippy Westside Yogi, does anyone in America have interest in this material? Starring a 50-year-old Asian actress? Good luck.

I want the old Luc Besson back; I go to Luc Besson movies to see lanky, anorexic, slightly boyish supermodels in fetish wear shooting off oversized guns… I don’t care about ONG SONG SUCHEE.

2. Joe Leydon says:

Oddly enough, both posters look like Hatch Show Prints.

3. sloanish says:

I know it’s subjective and they’re both wonderful, but is this the first time where you could argue that the actor is less attractive than the subject?

4. LexG says:

they should of had her played by jennifer morrison

5. cadavra says:

You guys do realize that Yeoh is drop-dead gorgeous and that’s MAKEUP!!!!!!!

6. Edward Wilson says:

Luc Besson’s Pearl Harbor.

7. palmtree says:

Luc Besson is making Oscar bait, right?

8. yancyskancy says:

Lex, don’t worry – COLOMBIANA is on the way (even though Besson isn’t in the director’s chair).

I think it’s cool that Yeoh is getting an Oscar bait role; hope it’s good.

9. LexG says:

COLOMBIANA POWER MEGATON POWER SALDANA POWER VARTAN POWER MOLLA POWER.

If you’re not going to see COLOMBIANA SIXTEEN TIMES this weekend, you should be banned from movies.

Only thing is, why is it PG-13? Aw fuck it, getting kinda sick of that whole AICN thing where dorks get all HOSTILE if something isn’t HARD R. Who cares, what’s more awesome, hot chicks and guns, or a bunch of explicit squib shots?

“I don’t believe in the Nietzschean notion that what doesn’t destroy you makes you stronger. You see these soldiers come back with PTSD; they’ve been to war and seen death and experienced these existential crises one after the other. There are traumas in life that weaken us for the future. And that’s what’s happened to me. The various slings and arrows of life have not strengthened me. I think I’m weaker. I think there are things I couldn’t take now that I would have been able to take when I was younger.”
~ Woody Allen

“Hitchcock films the story with a wide-eyed, astonished, fascinated, and disturbed camera stare that seems to shudder and tremble every time Hedren is onscreen. Even the director’s cameo—in which he watches Hedren walking down a hotel corridor and then turns back to look at the camera, shamefacedly caught in his own leer—suggests his self-aware sense of visual carnality. The images offer an extraordinary swing between blasts of heat and an eerie chill, sometimes bringing the two together. Even the film’s exterior locations have a fluorescent buzz that captures an ambient sense of derangement.”
~ Richard Brody on Marnie