Waking Up In New Zealand

It’s 10a in Wellington.

I miss my family, I worry often about whether runs on banks will start before I get home (excessive, yes, but people will behave in unexpected ways to threats… “buy gold” is being turned into the “build bomb shelters in your yard” by the extremist right… and this group is willing to drop the bomb on their own neighbors), and I’m already sad that I only have one more day on this wonderful country.

A stop at the local multiplex turned up a list of movies that was almost indistinguishable from the multiplex at home… surrounded by a food court. (Maybe I’m really in Toronto!)

Nice dinner with the parade of “webmasters” down here with me, though I am reminded that I work a different side of the street than the “geek sites.” I’m also old and remember the good old bad old days of the web from a different perspective, for better or worse.

We’re here to see Tintin stuff… looking forward to it. As it turns out, only AICN’s Quint was at ComicCon to see that Tintin event, so it will be fresh to most of us. And it won’t, we’re told, just be a repeat of that material.

More to come…

14 Responses to “Waking Up In New Zealand”

1. Dan says:

Awesome! I’m so jealous!

2. Jeffrey Boam's Doctor says:

Heard Leahnz is having a few wines tonight. Look out DP. Better lock your door.

3. Joe S says:

“Bomb shelters”? Where are you getting this stuff? No one here is talking about bank runs or bomb shelters.

4. Hallick says:

He was talking about the mania to “buy gold!” being today’s panicky equivalent of building bomb shelters back in the day. That’s where he’s getting that stuff.

5. Martin S says:

JBD – I was dwelling on the irony that Dave finally gets to NZ and Leah’s been on a HotBlog walkabout for a number of weeks. What a coinkydink.

6. Pete B says:

Which is the worst bomb to drop – taking on the debt now or letting it continue to build until the interest alone is more than our GDP?

7. Foamy Squirrel says:

I’ll take “False Dichotomies” for $100, thanks!

There’s absolutely nothing to stop the CBO from adopting a plan to reduce debt over 10, 50, or even 100 years. The idea that “zomg if we don’t eliminate the debt NOW it’ll never get done” is pure twaddle.

8. John in LA says:

Dave,
    Have a great time in NZ. I loved the 4 months I spent in Aukland working on a movie. Too bad you’re not getting to see more of the country.

9. Martin S says:

Dave – we want a pic of you and Leah!

10. leahnz says:

bloody hell, ftr martin s before you have an embolism:

i have NOTHING to do with the ‘tintin’ production

i don’t post using my real name for a reason, and anyone who thinks i’d reveal my identity to david poland on a tintin junket or whatever it’s called must be smoking crack, he could walk right past me and not know it (he didn’t). do you think it’s 3 people working in a wool shed here? two completely separate major productions (and a third just in the can) here, there’s a fair few people about in the empire

11. Not David Bordwell says:

Shit, Leah, it’s just that we all fantasize about revealing our true identities and having hot sex.

Er, I mean, a DATE.

Srsly, I’m not going to reveal my name either, but it’s fun to think that one of us could fly to NZ and look you up.

Although it would be UNFAIR if Poland got to meet you first. I think we’re more compatible :-)

12. LexG says:

Really, Poland comes strolling into any our workplaces, you wouldn’t run up and extend the glad hand? It’d be the highlight of my day. If not month.

13. berg says:

just saw Change Up … takes bromance to a whole new level … it’s not that they’ve changed bodies, it’s that they get to jack off each other dicks ….

14. cadavra says:

“they get to jack off each other dicks”

And once again, Billy Wilder is spinning in his grave.

leahnz on: BYOB - RIP The Goldfinch