Ray Pride

By Ray Pride Pride@moviecitynews.com

STUPID, CRAZY, LOVE.: Is the one in the middle a star yet?

Analeigh Tipton, center. The “babysitter in the car” scene is weirdly more anguished, more touching, more terrifying, than the ones in Atom Egoyan‘s Exotica. Wow and-how.

8 Responses to “STUPID, CRAZY, LOVE.: Is the one in the middle a star yet?”

1. chris says:

Actually, I think she’s one of the few weak links in the movie. She’s too old (early 20s, I’d guess) and much too wordly (one of the final three on “America’s Next Top Model”) to play that part convincingly.

2. Ray Pride says:

Chris, I’d never seen her before, and for a second, mistook her for Ashley Plaza. But what an expressive face!

3. Will says:

I saw the film in a pre screening and she absolutely stands out. She not only holds her own along side such an incredible cast but she does so in a refreshingly unique way. For a young actress, she is wonderfully talented and I think she’ll just grow and improve over time. Who cares about top model and what she did before–she’s talented and is doing great things now. Good on her!

4. chris says:

I agree that she has potential. My only point is that I think a gorgeous, nearly 23-year-old (I looked it up) woman is wrong for the part of a supposedly somewhat geeky 17 year old. But, come to think of it (and although I liked the movie), the role itself is the toughest thing in the movie to swallow.

I was just surprised that Alison Janney wasn’t playing her mom.

6. Ray Pride says:

Would’ve been fun.

7. Popcorn slayer says:

She looks like a living caricature of Jessica Biel.

8. Ray Pride says:

I like that.

Movie City Indie

“Ten years ago at Telluride, I said on a panel that theatrical distribution was dying. It seemed obvious to me. I was surprised how many in the audience violently objected: ‘People will always want to go to the movies!’ That’s true, but it’s also true that theatrical cinema as we once knew it has died. Theatrical cinema is now Event Cinema, just as theatrical plays and musical performances are Events. No one just goes to a movie. It’s a planned occasion. Four types of Event Cinema remain.
1. Spectacle (IMAX-style blockbusters)
2. Family (cartoon like features)
3. Horror (teen-driven), and
4. Film Club (formerly arthouse but now anything serious).

There are isolated pockets like black cinema, romcom, girl’s-night-out, seniors, teen gross-outs, but it’s primarily those four. Everything else is TV. Now I have to go back to episode five of ‘Looming Tower.'”
~ Paul Schrader

“Because of my relative candor on Twitter regarding why I quit my day job, my DMs have overflowed with similar stories from colleagues around the globe. These peeks behind the curtains of film festivals, venues, distributors and funding bodies weren’t pretty. Certain dismal patterns recurred (and resonated): Boards who don’t engage with or even understand their organization’s artistic mission and are insensitive to the diverse neighborhood in which their organization’s venue is located; incompetent founders and/or presidents who create only obstacles, never solutions; unduly empowered, Trumpian bean counters who chip away at the taste and experiences that make organizations’ cultural offerings special; expensive PR teams that don’t bring to the table a bare-minimum familiarity with the rich subcultural art form they’re half-heartedly peddling as “product”; nonprofit arts organizations for whom art now ranks as a distant-second goal behind profit.”
~ Eric Allen Hatch