Nikki, Part Deux

It never occurs to me how low some people can stoop.

I can always count on Nikki Finke to slither to the lowest place in the cesspool she is so proud of creating.

So we have Nikki trying to shred Lynne Segall on her way out the door to go to The Hollywood Reporter 2.0, as Deadline seems to be struggling a bit to keep up.

I am not a friend of Lynne Segall. I have questioned her integrity along the way myself. I know her a little.

I was pretty much sticking to the business side of this story.

But what kind of person tries to kick someone as they leave a job? A piece of shit. The same kind of piece of shit who writes nary a negative word about a failed Paramount executive as she is in bed (figuratively) with his boss.. until he is dumped… at which point she shits all over the guy in print, never, of course, mentioning the man who hired him in a fit of brain damage in the first place. The same kind of person who roots for a network exec to fail, never taking into account the many, many people whose livelihoods depend on his success.

Writing based on a Friends List and an Enemies List – especially from the list of someone else who is on your Friends List – is not journalistic integrity. It’s water carrying.

You know, journalists cover Nikki liked bemused zoo patrons watching monkeys throw shit at each other. Ha ha. Isn’t it funny? I know it’s a scam, but it makes me laugh. Who is she really hurting? Everyone gets the joke, right?

Is there no shame left in this town?

Isn’t there a point where the most powerful people in this business say, “Okay… check… tired of being The Nikki Whisper” and letting her shit all over my staff and tired of being in business – no checks are signed, but Nikki is paid in ego strokes – with someone who doesn’t make me any actual money but makes the community an uglier and uglier place to live?”

And by the way… has anyone actually read the lower-than-trade-special-edition-suck-ups Primetime Emmy Awards print editions that Nikki now boastfully claims are her doing? If there was a single piece of reporting (aside from the ability to do a 300 word interview) crawling around in there, it died of loneliness before it got past the multi-page glossy ads.

Is she so delusional that she actually thinks ANYONE buying her ads thinks there is any editorial integrity in any of the print editions that have come out from Deadline? Sell fluff if you want to, but don’t try to turn yourself into a martyr to journalism for printing a list of Emmy or Oscar contenders next to high-gloss photos.

Tell us, oh Queen of Transparency, why you haven’t written a single harsh word about any upper management at 3 of the majors in years? Tell us, Nikki, who feeds you your take on the two major indies out there right now and why nothing you ever write goes against their personal positions? Tell us, Nikki, who at Fox TV pulls your little strings? Tell us, Nikki, how much it costs in information to get you not to write a story?

Trans-fucking-parency? You won’t let anyone see your face!!!! Are you kidding?

You are a smart, smart woman, Nikki. You are a shit journalist, but you are a master manipulator.

I know that when you show yourself to be the disgusting human being that you are, it amuses the hell out of some people. Everyone in this business has their share of enemies… including Lynne. So you will milk this flaw of human nature and continue to ride the Bile Train for as long as you live. You were there long before you ever found your home on the web.

You’re smart to stay hidden away… or you might get slapped in the face a dozen times a day, walking down the street in Brentwood, by decent people who just want to express how they feel about you.

And the ability to bring that out in others… that’s the only power you really have… the only power you’ll ever have… because you aren’t good enough – not confident enough – to do it any other way. So enjoy that power. And stay an example of what could happen to the rest of us if we lost touch with our humanity.

But that’s just how I see it… so sue me…

15 Responses to “Nikki, Part Deux”

1. Krillian says:

I do derive entertainment from her constant threats to sue you.

Seems odd Green Lantern’s almost here and there are hardly any reviews. Trouble?

2. LexG says:

Yikes… That’s a fierce piece and it’s riveting when Poland goes balls-out like that, but just a harmless question from a TOTAL dumb-ass outsider who’s totally clueless about that realm of intrigue:

Why consistently taunt someone who’s apparently litigious? Shouldn’t one of the GOALS OF LIFE to be Never to be Sued or Never to Go to Court, kind of like how people like to generally avoid being sent to prison? Isn’t BEING SUED at the very least a MASSIVE nuisance that frays your nerves and leads to countless hours and weeks and years of red tape and frustration?

Why taunt the beast? You make her sound like Suge Knight then basically do the online movie blogger equivalent (ha!) of waving a gun in Suge’s face when he’s out with his posse and calling him names then running off, full well knowing he’s gonna seek retribution. Isn’t it easier on the ol’ blood pressure to never engage or mention her WHATSOEVER?

This just always reads like a guy walking down dark alley in a bad neighborhood waving a wallet full of Black Cards around, when he could just stay home and watch Leno in the suburbs.

3. Maureen says:

Wow! That’s calling it as it is.

4. Anghus says:

Was there ever shame in your town?

#revisionisthistory

5. Bingo says:

Nikke Finke is the Muammar Muhammad al-Gaddafi of Hollywood, a truly hideous bully, corpses all about her, hiding in her tent. Thank you, David, for highlighting the truth. When will the NYTimes or LATimes dare tell the truth about her?

6. Jeffrey Boam's Doctor says:

I’m confused. Do you like her or not?

7. Nikki Hater says:

I am a publicist who has to deal with this terror of a human being every now and then. You are so spot on, David. I wish I had the courage to out her on her vicious lies. If people knew the truth, they would turn on her and send her packing. Unfortunately Penske has assured that she willl always have the last laugh. Keep calling her on her shit.

8. anghus says:

how does a friendless shut in loathed by everyone have the last laugh?

I question that logic.

I suppose Howard Hughes had the last laugh too.

9. Triple Option says:

Wow, it was like 90 comments saying “you go, girl” while only one called the piece tactless BS. The whole thing read like transcripts of DoJ deposition of bankrupt company CEOs from the late 90s/early 00s. “Hey, look, I’m trying to run a multi-billion dollar corporation. I have no idea what the CFO is doing with the books.”

Trumpeting personal integrity is almost a sure sign of a lack thereof. She could’ve said no to all those things she complained about. Either she’s a fraud for not going on in her own company or she’s lying about what she knew and when.

10. Anghus says:

I didnt catch it the first time, but theres a bit in the article about NBC Universal not advertising in deadline, and at the bottom of the article theres a “for your consideration” ad for Parks and Recreation.

There is also the claim that she didn’t know that NBCUniversal wasn’t buying ads from her site… which oddly changed as soon as the people she was attacking exited the company.

Nikki’s relationships are a mirrored fun house… designed to seem transparent, but ever an illusion.

12. indiemarketer says:

Who changes her milk bottles filled with urine? Nikki’s not Lynne’s. Who would instill more fear into an all-you-can-eat buffet? They are a fun couple.

Last I saw her, the fat jokes were not appropriate for Nikki. Matronly, yes. Fat, not then.

14. Pandora Young says:

@LexG: Nikki attempts to control the media through threats and harassment. No self-respecting journalist would kowtow to her tactics.

Besides, if we don’t stand up to the bullies and thugs of the world, we get a world run by bullies and thugs. Who wants that?

15. cadavra says:

Um, the bullies and thugs?

“Let me try and be as direct as I possibly can with you on this. There was no relationship to repair. I didn’t intend for Harvey to buy and release The Immigrant – I thought it was a terrible idea. And I didn’t think he would want the film, and I didn’t think he would like the film. He bought the film without me knowing! He bought it from the equity people who raised the money for me in the States. And I told them it was a terrible idea, but I had no say over the matter. So they sold it to him without my say-so, and with me thinking it was a terrible idea. I was completely correct, but I couldn’t do anything about it. It was not my preference, it was not my choice, I did not want that to happen, I have no relationship with Harvey. So, it’s not like I repaired some relationship, then he screwed me again, and I’m an idiot for trusting him twice! Like I say, you try to distance yourself as much as possible from the immediate response to a movie. With The Immigrant I had final cut. So he knew he couldn’t make me change it. But he applied all the pressure he could, including shelving the film.”
James Gray

“I’m an unusual producer because I control the destiny of a lot of the films I’ve done. Most of them are in perfect states of restoration and preservation and distribution, and I aim to keep them in distribution. HanWay Films, which is my sales company, has a 500-film catalogue, which is looked after and tended like a garden. I’m still looking after my films in the catalogue and trying to get other people to look after their films, which we represent intellectually, to try to keep them alive. A film has to be run through a projector to be alive, unfortunately, and those electric shadows are few and far between now. It’s very hard to go and see films in a movie house. I was always involved with the sales and marketing of my films, right up from The Shout onwards. I’ve had good periods, but I also had a best period because the film business was in its best period then. You couldn’t make The Last Emperor today. You couldn’t make The Sheltering Sky today. You couldn’t make those films anymore as independent films. There are neither the resources nor the vision within the studios to go to them and say, “I want to make a film about China with no stars in it.”Then, twenty years ago, I thought, “OK, I’m going to sell my own films but I don’t want to make it my own sales company.” I wanted it to be for me but I wanted to make it open for every other producer, so they don’t feel that they make a film but I get the focus. So, it’s a company that is my business and I’m involved with running it in a certain way, but I’m not seen as a competitor with other people that use it. It’s used by lots of different producers apart from me. When I want to use it, however, it’s there for me and I suppose I’m planning to continue making all my films to be sold by HanWay. I don’t have to, but I do because it’s in my building and the marketing’s here, and I can do it like that. Often, it sounds like I’m being easy about things, but it’s much more difficult than it sounds. It’s just that I’ve been at it for a long time and there’s lots of fat and security around my business. I know how to make films, but it’s not easy—it’s become a very exacting life.”
~ Producer Jeremy Thomas