The Return Of The Trig Birthers

Equal time and all…

Salon rolled out an academic’s piece (pdf) about the rumors around Trig Palin’s birth and the lack of media scrutiny.

The only dissimilar thing between this and the Obama birth certificate frenzy is that this was all three years ago, not almost 50 years ago. A lot has changed in how we do things, regarding recording births… down to matching medical bracelets for newborns and parents to try to insure no mistakes about whose kid is who while they are all squishy. While the Obama camp hasn’t been able to produce a satisfactory original birth certificate for the Birthers, Palin has simply refused to make any of the information public.

There are a lot more odd pieces to the Palin puzzle than the Obama puzzle. But still, both are based on reading tea leaves.

However, if you choose to believe either one, you really have to believe the other to be a possibility, as the kinds of “evidence” are very similar. If you are an Obama Birther and you complain that statements by people close to Obama are irrelevant as proof, to be intellectually reasonable, you would have to disregard the statement by Palin’s personal non-OB physician on Trig’s birth.

Personally, I think the Obama thing is silly and often a bit racist… but acknowledge that the proof being demanded, whether reasonably or not, has not been offered. And the Palin thing, which would be 100 times more shocking to me, does seem slightly more plausible, in great part because of Palin’s other behaviors, including the announcement that Bristol was pregnant at the convention. That said, the Down’s Syndrome is much more likely with an older mother, the reckless behavior of Palin also makes the bizarre travel behavior near birth seem less unlikely, and as much as there is almost no photographic evidence suggesting Sarah Palin is over 6 months pregnant, nor is there any photographic evidence that Bristol Palin was… or wasn’t.

Another rumor that hasn’t come close to being proven in an affirmative way. Just missing puzzle pieces. Unless someone can come up with a smoking speculum, this one should be put down for the count as well.

But man, what a great story the Palin thing would be… greatest Lifetime movie EVER!

12 Responses to “The Return Of The Trig Birthers”

1. Paul MD (Stella's Boy) says:

Never paid much attention to the “Who is Trig’s mommy?” issue. Is it Andrew Sullivan that’s obsessed with it? I can’t say I care one way or the other. It wouldn’t change the way I feel about Sarah Palin. And there is no way you can expect consistency or reason from birthers.

2. SamLowry says:

At some point, Trig will throw away a disposable cup or flick a cigarette butt, which will then be picked up by an enterprising reporter and DNA tested against similar debris cast off by Sarah and Bristol.

Mystery solved.

3. Paul MD (Stella's Boy) says:

Maybe that writer who lived next to them while writing his book about SP, Joe McGinniss, already did that.

4. Ted Powell says:

“If today isn’t the Fourth of July, then it must be Christmas.”

“If Trig’s birth mother isn’t Bristol, then it must be Sarah.”

Equally sensible, yet people buy into the latter statement.

5. Chris says:

Thank you, Ted! This is the point that has been consistently missing from most discussions. For the McCain campaign to put Bristol’s pregnancy out there as “proof” that Sarah gave birth to Trig was totally ludicrous. My conclusion is that it was all they had.

There are also questions about the timing of both births.

But like I said, until some hard facts turn up, people are asking them to prove a negative. And Obama should be given the same courtesy.

7. movielocke says:

The Obama birth certificate has been released to the public, the birthers just refuse to believe in it. Which is what we should expect from humans who think education is a sign of the Great Satan stealing your heart and that ignorance is Holy and Good.

8. cadavra says:

Every time Palin makes a personal appearance, people should chant, “Where’s Trig’s birth certificate? Where’s Trig’s birth certificate?” Let’s see how she likes it when the wax is in the other ear.

9. Pogo says:

There are verified dated photos of Ms Palin, 5 weeks before the supposed birth, with a completely flat stomach. There are photos of her at 7 months with her legs crossed above the knees, leaning forward – physically impossible, if pregnant. Add to that the ‘Wild Ride’ story, and one has to wonder. If she did not give birth to the child, it does not mean her daughter did. She could have proved that she was biological mother in many ways: a birth certificate, a word or letter from her doctor, comments from anyone at the hospital, but instead, she chose to ‘prove’ it, by announcing to the world that her unmarried 16 year old was pregnant. Also, she has named two different hospitals as the place she gave birth to Trig. Interested people should check Palingates and Immoral Minority blogs to see the photos.

10. samguy says:

Seriously, do people really think that Obama would have been able to get passed Clinton AND Grampa Simpson’s camps if he wasn’t a natural born citizen? I’m convinced that a lot of the birthers don’t know that Hawaii is a state.

As for Palin, I’ve read the Sullivan pieces over the years and there are some pretty salient points such as her not telling anyone about her pregancny until the late in the second trimester and the flying from Texas to Alaska for Trig’s birth. All very weird and suspect.

Even more damning however is the story that last year Trig had to have some surgery – and neither parent was even in the state. Very telling about the grizzled mama.

11. SamLowry says:

…”flying from Texas to Alaska for Trig’s birth” AFTER the water broke. Considering she already had four kids under her belt, number five should have popped out like a greased pig on a water slide.

Don’t most airlines forbid extremely pregnant women from boarding in the first place? Add in the amnio water running down her leg and any boarding crew would have been insane to seat her.

“I suddenly couldn’t say anything about some of the movies. They were just so terrible, and I’d already written about so many terrible movies. I love writing about movies when I can discover something in them – when I can get something out of them that I can share with people. The week I quit, I hadn’t planned on it. But I wrote up a couple of movies, and I read what I’d written, and it was just incredibly depressing. I thought, I’ve got nothing to share from this. One of them was of that movie with Woody Allen and Bette Midler, Scenes From a Mall. I couldn’t write another bad review of Bette Midler. I thought she was so brilliant, and when I saw her in that terrible production of ‘Gypsy’ on television, my heart sank. And I’d already panned her in Beaches. How can you go on panning people in picture after picture when you know they were great just a few years before? You have so much emotional investment in praising people that when you have to pan the same people a few years later, it tears your spirits apart.”
~ Pauline Kael On Quitting

“My father was a Jerome. My daughter’s middle name is Jerome. But my most vexing and vexed relationship with a Jerome was with Jerome Levitch, the subject of my first book under his stage and screen name, Jerry Lewis.

I have a lot of strong and complex feelings about the man, who passed away today in Las Vegas at age 91. Suffice to say he was a brilliant talent, an immense humanitarian, a difficult boss/interview, and a quixotic sort of genius, as often inspired as insipid, as often tender as caustic.

I wrote all about it in my 1996 book, “King of Comedy,” which is available on Kindle. With all due humility, it’s kinda definitive — the good and the bad — even though it’s two decades old. My favorite review, and one I begged St. Martin’s (unsuccessfully) to put on the paperback jacket, came from “Screw” magazine, which called it “A remarkably fair portrait of a great American asshole.”

Jerry and I met twice while I was working on the book and spoke/wrote to each other perhaps a dozen times. Like many of his relationships with the press and his partners/subordinates, it ended badly, with Jerry hollering profanities at me in the cabin of his yacht in San Diego. I wrote about it in the epilogue to my book, and over the years I’ve had the scene quoted back to me by Steve Martin, Harry Shearer, Paul Provenza and Penn Jillette. Tom Hanks once told me that he had a dinner with Paul Reiser and Martin Short at which Short spent the night imitating Jerry throwing me off the boat.

Jerry was a lot of things: father, husband, chum, businessman, philanthropist, artist, innovator, clown, tyrant. He was at various times in his life the highest-ever-paid performer on TV, in movies, and on Broadway. He raised BILLIONS for charity, invented filmmaking techniques, made perhaps a dozen classic comedies, turned in a terrific dramatic performance in Martin Scorsese’s “The King of Comedy,” and left the world altered and even enhanced with his time and his work in it.

That’s an estimable achievement and one worth pausing to commemorate.

#RIP to Le Roi du Crazy