The Return Of The Trig Birthers

Equal time and all…

Salon rolled out an academic’s piece (pdf) about the rumors around Trig Palin’s birth and the lack of media scrutiny.

The only dissimilar thing between this and the Obama birth certificate frenzy is that this was all three years ago, not almost 50 years ago. A lot has changed in how we do things, regarding recording births… down to matching medical bracelets for newborns and parents to try to insure no mistakes about whose kid is who while they are all squishy. While the Obama camp hasn’t been able to produce a satisfactory original birth certificate for the Birthers, Palin has simply refused to make any of the information public.

There are a lot more odd pieces to the Palin puzzle than the Obama puzzle. But still, both are based on reading tea leaves.

However, if you choose to believe either one, you really have to believe the other to be a possibility, as the kinds of “evidence” are very similar. If you are an Obama Birther and you complain that statements by people close to Obama are irrelevant as proof, to be intellectually reasonable, you would have to disregard the statement by Palin’s personal non-OB physician on Trig’s birth.

Personally, I think the Obama thing is silly and often a bit racist… but acknowledge that the proof being demanded, whether reasonably or not, has not been offered. And the Palin thing, which would be 100 times more shocking to me, does seem slightly more plausible, in great part because of Palin’s other behaviors, including the announcement that Bristol was pregnant at the convention. That said, the Down’s Syndrome is much more likely with an older mother, the reckless behavior of Palin also makes the bizarre travel behavior near birth seem less unlikely, and as much as there is almost no photographic evidence suggesting Sarah Palin is over 6 months pregnant, nor is there any photographic evidence that Bristol Palin was… or wasn’t.

Another rumor that hasn’t come close to being proven in an affirmative way. Just missing puzzle pieces. Unless someone can come up with a smoking speculum, this one should be put down for the count as well.

But man, what a great story the Palin thing would be… greatest Lifetime movie EVER!

12 Responses to “The Return Of The Trig Birthers”

1. Paul MD (Stella's Boy) says:

Never paid much attention to the “Who is Trig’s mommy?” issue. Is it Andrew Sullivan that’s obsessed with it? I can’t say I care one way or the other. It wouldn’t change the way I feel about Sarah Palin. And there is no way you can expect consistency or reason from birthers.

2. SamLowry says:

At some point, Trig will throw away a disposable cup or flick a cigarette butt, which will then be picked up by an enterprising reporter and DNA tested against similar debris cast off by Sarah and Bristol.

Mystery solved.

3. Paul MD (Stella's Boy) says:

Maybe that writer who lived next to them while writing his book about SP, Joe McGinniss, already did that.

4. Ted Powell says:

“If today isn’t the Fourth of July, then it must be Christmas.”

“If Trig’s birth mother isn’t Bristol, then it must be Sarah.”

Equally sensible, yet people buy into the latter statement.

5. Chris says:

Thank you, Ted! This is the point that has been consistently missing from most discussions. For the McCain campaign to put Bristol’s pregnancy out there as “proof” that Sarah gave birth to Trig was totally ludicrous. My conclusion is that it was all they had.

There are also questions about the timing of both births.

But like I said, until some hard facts turn up, people are asking them to prove a negative. And Obama should be given the same courtesy.

7. movielocke says:

The Obama birth certificate has been released to the public, the birthers just refuse to believe in it. Which is what we should expect from humans who think education is a sign of the Great Satan stealing your heart and that ignorance is Holy and Good.

8. cadavra says:

Every time Palin makes a personal appearance, people should chant, “Where’s Trig’s birth certificate? Where’s Trig’s birth certificate?” Let’s see how she likes it when the wax is in the other ear.

9. Pogo says:

There are verified dated photos of Ms Palin, 5 weeks before the supposed birth, with a completely flat stomach. There are photos of her at 7 months with her legs crossed above the knees, leaning forward – physically impossible, if pregnant. Add to that the ‘Wild Ride’ story, and one has to wonder. If she did not give birth to the child, it does not mean her daughter did. She could have proved that she was biological mother in many ways: a birth certificate, a word or letter from her doctor, comments from anyone at the hospital, but instead, she chose to ‘prove’ it, by announcing to the world that her unmarried 16 year old was pregnant. Also, she has named two different hospitals as the place she gave birth to Trig. Interested people should check Palingates and Immoral Minority blogs to see the photos.

10. samguy says:

Seriously, do people really think that Obama would have been able to get passed Clinton AND Grampa Simpson’s camps if he wasn’t a natural born citizen? I’m convinced that a lot of the birthers don’t know that Hawaii is a state.

As for Palin, I’ve read the Sullivan pieces over the years and there are some pretty salient points such as her not telling anyone about her pregancny until the late in the second trimester and the flying from Texas to Alaska for Trig’s birth. All very weird and suspect.

Even more damning however is the story that last year Trig had to have some surgery – and neither parent was even in the state. Very telling about the grizzled mama.

11. SamLowry says:

…”flying from Texas to Alaska for Trig’s birth” AFTER the water broke. Considering she already had four kids under her belt, number five should have popped out like a greased pig on a water slide.

Don’t most airlines forbid extremely pregnant women from boarding in the first place? Add in the amnio water running down her leg and any boarding crew would have been insane to seat her.

“Most of these women were in their early twenties. Most of them refused to go any further with him, but a few went to dinner, or to some sort of casting situation, or to someplace private… if the stories were just about some crazed sex addict who approaches thousands of women on the street trying to get laid, I wouldn’t be posting this now. I don’t want to be attacking every Hollywood douchebag who hits on countless women. That type of behavior isn’t cool, but I think it’s important to separate douchebaggery from any kind of sexual coercion. But the women I talked to who DID go someplace private with Toback, told stories that were worse than the women only accosted on the street… So I did what I could do in my impotent state – for over twenty years now, I’ve been bringing up James Toback every chance I could in groups of people. I couldn’t stop him, but I could warn people about him… I’ve been hoping the Weinstein/O’Reilly stuff would bring this vampire into the light (him and a couple others, frankly). So I was happy today to wake up to this story in the L. A. Times.”
~ James Gunn

“BATTLE OF THE SEXES: Politics and queerness as spectacle/spectacle as politics and queerness. Pretty delightful, lovely, erotic. A-

“Not since EASY A and CABARET have I seen Emma Stone give a real sense of her range. Here, she has pathos and interiority and desire. I love the cinematography and the ways in which the images of the tennis icons are refracted and manipulated via various surfaces/mediators. Also, wild how a haircut is one of the most erotic scenes in cinema this year. Spine tinglingly tactile that feels refreshing. Proof that *cough* you don’t need to be ~graphic/explicit~ to be erotic *cough*. Also, it made me want to get into tennis. Watching it, at least.

“There are interesting touches and intimations as to the cinematic nature of sports, & unpacking the formal approach of broadcasting sports.Also, I was here for Sarah Silverman smoking. And also, hi Mickey Sumner!! It’s a really interesting film about the ways in which public spectacle is never apolitical, and how spectacle is prone to assignation.

“There’s this one other scene from BATTLE OF THE SEXES that I love, and it’s the one in the bar. You see Billie looking after Marilyn as she dances. Through a crowd. There’s a paradoxical closeness and distance between them. In the purple light, and the kitschy decor, everything is distorted. But Billie catches a glance and you can feel the nervous swell inside.”
~ Kyle Turner