BYOB: Hard To Write

Ah, I remember the days when I would stay up all night writing, not hiding under the blanket to keep the light from waking the toddler.

Shoulld have time to catch up tonight. I hear something happened in the UK this morning. I hope it wasn’t a tornado.

13 Responses to “BYOB: Hard To Write”

1. torpid bunny says:

Saw Tron on a Blu-Ray on a good screen in monastic privacy at my parent’s house this weekend. Not all of us have a blu-ray/sweet flat screen set-up you know. My brother did a nice thing and brought over his P3 for me.

Anyway Tron was AWESOME. I loved it. It looks amazing, but it’s also a terrific movie.

Retrospectively the critical reaction to it, which I remember as rather hostile indifference, is a mystery to me. It’s not a perfect film, but it is absolutely a peer to movies like the Matrix, Avatar, District 9, and yes, a tip of the cap to 2001. And I’m bothered that people can say it lacks a human element when it is anchored by yet another fresh and generous performance by Jeff Bridges as both aged wisdom and youthful error.

2. IOv3 says:

Torpid word up and the critical response is easy to explain: laziness. Sheer and utter laziness to think outside of the box they put this film in. Devin Farci at least has an excuse for not liking the film because he was drunk off of his ass while watching it, but everyone else is just came across as lazy.

3. storymark says:

Or, they just didn’t like it as much as you. I know, I know, you can’t grasp that, but there it is.

I was about halfway on it myself. Not nearly as bad as some made it out to be, but not as great as others claim.

4. Krillian says:

Saw Tron: Legacy in IMAX 3-D, the best way to see it.

Taking the kids (age range 4-7) to the $1.50 theater tomorrow. Should I go with Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2 or Mars Needs Moms? If it’s not cold and cloudy tomorrow, will likely opt for park instead.

5. IOv3 says:

Story, you remain under the assumption that a fan lacks the ability to criticize something, or criticize those criticizing that something. Seriously, who can critique the Yankees the best? A Red Sox fan or a Yankees fan? The moment you understand this is the moment you finally GET IT.

6. Anghus says:

I really liked tron legacy. Best big budget tentpole film I saw last year.

7. sanj says:

Original Cast Returning For Terminator 5 in 2012
    with Arnold Schwarzenegger and director Justin Lin

8. sanj says:

Year Of The Carnivore …comedy ..

there were 2 things that were shocking / funny
    which are in sorta in the trailer

the lead actress Cristin Milioti was pretty good
    but this small movie needed way better writing ..
    …it jumped all over the place .. it could have won a few movie awards

here’s the trailer

9. torpid bunny says:

You can poke big holes in the premise and point out bits of leaden dialogue sure. There are various dead ends or headscratchers in the story. And I get it’s not everyone’s flavor. But for what it is, it’s a home run. Beautifully paced, clinical development of intrigue, awesome art direction, delicious sound track. Oh by the way a damn good action movie. Just an extremely well mounted movie. And amazing that, like Blomkamp, Kosinski shows such command of storytelling in his first movie. I’m very impressed.

10. sanj says:

hey PD – with gas prices getting higher isn’t doing DP/30’s more expensive ? or do the movie studios give you money to pay for gas / hotels / food when you do these things ..
    and how much feedback do you get for 2 years or longer DP/30’s ..are people still watching ?

11. samguy says:

I saw “Fast Five” this afternoon and it was everything I could have hoped for! Loud and stupid and an appalling performance by Vin Diesel which is what you expect from this kind of entertainment. When he and the Rock or whatever he’s called these days meet, I giggled wondering how it would compare to the meeting of Pacino and DeNiro in “Heat.”

Alas, there was one major disappointment: Vin & Paul Walker still don’t kiss!

12. sanj says:

hey DP – where is your weekly rants about netflix and huffpost ? those are fun to read

also missing are actors who haven’t done DP/30’s for at least a year – lots of great interviews but at this point
    does anybody still care ?
    its hard for average people like me to get excisted about
    interviews when there are so few new interviews ..
    it also helps none of actors i want are doing dp/30’s..

13. Krillian says:

There is no huffpost; there is only http://www.colbertnation.com/ColBuffingtonPost in my world.

Saw Mars for Moms on Saturday. Not great. Probably the weakest image-capture movie to date.

“I have a license to carry in New York. Can you believe that? Nobody knows that, [Applause] somebody attacks, somebody attacks me, oh, they’re gonna be shot. Can you imagine? Somebody says, oh, it is Trump, he’s easy pickings what do you say? Right? Oh, boy. What was the famous movie? No. Remember, no remember where he went around and he sort of after his wife was hurt so badly and kill. What?  I — Honestly, Yeah, right, it’s true, but you have many of them. Famous movie. Somebody. You have many of them. Charles Bronson right the late great Charles Bronson name of the movie come on.  , remember that? Ah, we’re gonna cut you up, sir, we’re gonna cut you up, uh-huh.

Bing!

One of the great movies. Charles Bronson, great, Charles Bronson. Great movies. Today you can’t make that movie because it’s not politically correct, right? It’s not politically correct. But could you imagine with Trump? Somebody says, oh, all these big monsters aren’t around he’s easy pickings and then shoot.”
~ Donald Trump

“The scene opens the new movie. It was something Ridley Scott told me a long time ago, when I was on my eighth draft of Blade Runner. He thinks it’s my fault, which it probably is, but it’s also his fault, because he kept coming up with new ideas. This time, he said to me, “What did Deckard do before he was doing this?” I said, “He was doing what he was doing, but not on such a high level. He was retiring androids that weren’t quite like Nexus Sixes, like Nexus Fives, kind of dumb androids.” He said, “So, why don’t we start the movie like that?” He always had a new beginning he wanted to try. Let’s start it on a train, let’s start it on a plane. Let’s start in the snow. Let’s start in the desert. I was writing all that. He said, “What if Deckard is retiring an old version of Nexus?” Right away I was feeling him, like fate, and he said, “There’s a cabin, with soup bubbling on the stove …” When he said soup boiling on the stove, I said, “Don’t say any more! Let me get home.” I wrote a scene that night. Just three or four pages. Deckard retires this not-very-bright droid, and you feel sorry for him. It’s like Steinbeck, Of Mice and Men. It’s just those two guys, with Deckard as the George character and the droid as the Lennie, and Deckard doesn’t want to do it. But then the droid gets mad, and then Deckard has to do it. The audience thinks he killed someone—he reaches into the guy’s mouth and pulls off his whole jaw and we see it says made by tyrell industries or whatever. I wrote that scene and took it to Ridley. I was proud of it. I remember standing and watching him read the whole thing. He loved it, but no. There are a lot of scenes that didn’t get in, but I never forgot that one. I wrote it as the beginning to this new short story called “The Shape of the Final Dog.” I’d always wanted to have a dog that wasn’t real, so I wrote one into the scene at the cabin. After Deckard retires the droid, he’s getting ready to take off and he wants the dog to come with him. The dog rolls over and keeps barking with his mouth closed. The dog’s an android dog. I thought, If there’s ever a new Blade Runner, we’ll have to use this scene. Three weeks go by, and I’m working on the story and it’s ready to hand in. The phone rings. Someone with a posh English accent says, “Would you be available in ten minutes for a call with Ridley Scott?” These people are so important they don’t waste their time on voicemail. I said, “I’ll be here.” Ten minutes go by and Ridley calls. “Hampton! Did you know, I think we’ve got it together to do Blade Runner a second time?” I said, “You finally got so hard up you’re calling me.” I knew they’d been looking for a year. People had been telling me, “You’ve got to call Ridley,” but I was a little chagrined or embarrassed. I thought, He’ll call me if he wants. Ridley said, “We’re interested in whether you have any ideas.” I said, “Funny you should ask that question. Let me read you a paragraph.” I walk over there with the phone and I read him the opening paragraph. And he says, “Fuck me. Can you come to London tomorrow?”
~ Hampton Fancher