BYOB: Hard To Write

Ah, I remember the days when I would stay up all night writing, not hiding under the blanket to keep the light from waking the toddler.

Shoulld have time to catch up tonight. I hear something happened in the UK this morning. I hope it wasn’t a tornado.

13 Responses to “BYOB: Hard To Write”

1. torpid bunny says:

Saw Tron on a Blu-Ray on a good screen in monastic privacy at my parent’s house this weekend. Not all of us have a blu-ray/sweet flat screen set-up you know. My brother did a nice thing and brought over his P3 for me.

Anyway Tron was AWESOME. I loved it. It looks amazing, but it’s also a terrific movie.

Retrospectively the critical reaction to it, which I remember as rather hostile indifference, is a mystery to me. It’s not a perfect film, but it is absolutely a peer to movies like the Matrix, Avatar, District 9, and yes, a tip of the cap to 2001. And I’m bothered that people can say it lacks a human element when it is anchored by yet another fresh and generous performance by Jeff Bridges as both aged wisdom and youthful error.

2. IOv3 says:

Torpid word up and the critical response is easy to explain: laziness. Sheer and utter laziness to think outside of the box they put this film in. Devin Farci at least has an excuse for not liking the film because he was drunk off of his ass while watching it, but everyone else is just came across as lazy.

3. storymark says:

Or, they just didn’t like it as much as you. I know, I know, you can’t grasp that, but there it is.

I was about halfway on it myself. Not nearly as bad as some made it out to be, but not as great as others claim.

4. Krillian says:

Saw Tron: Legacy in IMAX 3-D, the best way to see it.

Taking the kids (age range 4-7) to the $1.50 theater tomorrow. Should I go with Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2 or Mars Needs Moms? If it’s not cold and cloudy tomorrow, will likely opt for park instead.

5. IOv3 says:

Story, you remain under the assumption that a fan lacks the ability to criticize something, or criticize those criticizing that something. Seriously, who can critique the Yankees the best? A Red Sox fan or a Yankees fan? The moment you understand this is the moment you finally GET IT.

6. Anghus says:

I really liked tron legacy. Best big budget tentpole film I saw last year.

7. sanj says:

Original Cast Returning For Terminator 5 in 2012
    with Arnold Schwarzenegger and director Justin Lin

8. sanj says:

Year Of The Carnivore …comedy ..

there were 2 things that were shocking / funny
    which are in sorta in the trailer

the lead actress Cristin Milioti was pretty good
    but this small movie needed way better writing ..
    …it jumped all over the place .. it could have won a few movie awards

here’s the trailer

9. torpid bunny says:

You can poke big holes in the premise and point out bits of leaden dialogue sure. There are various dead ends or headscratchers in the story. And I get it’s not everyone’s flavor. But for what it is, it’s a home run. Beautifully paced, clinical development of intrigue, awesome art direction, delicious sound track. Oh by the way a damn good action movie. Just an extremely well mounted movie. And amazing that, like Blomkamp, Kosinski shows such command of storytelling in his first movie. I’m very impressed.

10. sanj says:

hey PD – with gas prices getting higher isn’t doing DP/30’s more expensive ? or do the movie studios give you money to pay for gas / hotels / food when you do these things ..
    and how much feedback do you get for 2 years or longer DP/30’s ..are people still watching ?

11. samguy says:

I saw “Fast Five” this afternoon and it was everything I could have hoped for! Loud and stupid and an appalling performance by Vin Diesel which is what you expect from this kind of entertainment. When he and the Rock or whatever he’s called these days meet, I giggled wondering how it would compare to the meeting of Pacino and DeNiro in “Heat.”

Alas, there was one major disappointment: Vin & Paul Walker still don’t kiss!

12. sanj says:

hey DP – where is your weekly rants about netflix and huffpost ? those are fun to read

also missing are actors who haven’t done DP/30’s for at least a year – lots of great interviews but at this point
    does anybody still care ?
    its hard for average people like me to get excisted about
    interviews when there are so few new interviews ..
    it also helps none of actors i want are doing dp/30’s..

13. Krillian says:

There is no huffpost; there is only http://www.colbertnation.com/ColBuffingtonPost in my world.

Saw Mars for Moms on Saturday. Not great. Probably the weakest image-capture movie to date.

“Ten years ago at Telluride, I said on a panel that theatrical distribution was dying. It seemed obvious to me. I was surprised how many in the audience violently objected: ‘People will always want to go to the movies!’ That’s true, but it’s also true that theatrical cinema as we once knew it has died. Theatrical cinema is now Event Cinema, just as theatrical plays and musical performances are Events. No one just goes to a movie. It’s a planned occasion. Four types of Event Cinema remain.
1. Spectacle (IMAX-style blockbusters)
2. Family (cartoon like features)
3. Horror (teen-driven), and
4. Film Club (formerly arthouse but now anything serious).

There are isolated pockets like black cinema, romcom, girl’s-night-out, seniors, teen gross-outs, but it’s primarily those four. Everything else is TV. Now I have to go back to episode five of ‘Looming Tower.'”
~ Paul Schrader

“Because of my relative candor on Twitter regarding why I quit my day job, my DMs have overflowed with similar stories from colleagues around the globe. These peeks behind the curtains of film festivals, venues, distributors and funding bodies weren’t pretty. Certain dismal patterns recurred (and resonated): Boards who don’t engage with or even understand their organization’s artistic mission and are insensitive to the diverse neighborhood in which their organization’s venue is located; incompetent founders and/or presidents who create only obstacles, never solutions; unduly empowered, Trumpian bean counters who chip away at the taste and experiences that make organizations’ cultural offerings special; expensive PR teams that don’t bring to the table a bare-minimum familiarity with the rich subcultural art form they’re half-heartedly peddling as “product”; nonprofit arts organizations for whom art now ranks as a distant-second goal behind profit.”
~ Eric Allen Hatch