Z

The Film Delivelution: 30811

Universal First Studio to Make All Movie Clips Available Online

Missing from this Hollywood Reporter headline? “Intentionally.”

Because, as we all know, the most popular moments from many, many movies are on YouTube already. But those are not fully controlled or monetized by the studios. This announcement with AnyClip.com is another step towards studios being much more aggressive about controlling their own content.

AnyClip’s service, which seems great at first – until you look real close – is interesting conceptually. There are still very limited clips. For instance, they have Fast Times At Ridgemont High, but no Spicoli and the Phoebe Cates/Judge Reinhold bathing suit scene is listed, but is not available when you click on it. Ratings issues may be an unspoken issue. And the embed option is not currently available on any clip… and that is, really, what will make the whole thing work. It’s not looking through clips that is fun. It’s the ability to contextualize with them.

9 Responses to “The Film Delivelution: 30811”

1. yancyskancy says:

I’ve been trying to think of a circumstance in which I would find this AnyClip service useful. I got nothin’. Maybe if I’m writing a paper or essay and want to refresh my memory of certain moments without pulling out a DVD? Or I’m sitting around with friends and need to settle a bet about a particular moment or line of dialogue? Whatever. I don’t get it.

2. Oddvark says:

How is this different than http://movieclips.com/ which has way more clips (from a bunch of different major studios, including Universal)?

seems to be the same thing.

Interestingly, different clips from Fast Times.

Will look into it.

4. LexG says:

Phoebe Cates was OK but that scene was always overrated. JJL has much better nudity in the movie and I prefer white girls to Vaguely Asian (TM SNL), even if the only thing I’ve ever been able to pull in my adult life is Asian Pussy because White Men In L.A. can’t get White Women.

5. yancyskancy says:

I just like how that’s the first scene Dave goes looking for on these sites. :)

6. Proman says:

Yeah, Lex. THAT’s your problem. Keep saying that to yourself.

7. cadavra says:

Seriously, Lex, what part of Burbank are you in? I’m there frequently and there are plenty of WW walking around.

8. LexG says:

Yeah, old horse-crone types.

9. cadavra says:

Sigh…

“We don’t defy the laws of physics: There are no flying men or cars in this movie. So it made sense to do it old-school: real vehicles and real human beings in the desert. We shot the movie more or less in continuity, because the cars and the characters get really banged up along the way. The biggest benefit of digital technology for me was that the cameras were smaller and much more agile, so you could put them anywhere. We also spent a huge amount of time on spatial awareness—making sure the viewer could follow the action and understand what was happening. There has to be a strong causal connection from one shot to the next, just the same way that in music, there has to be a connection from one note to the next. Otherwise it’s just noise. Too often, if you just cram a lot of stuff into the frame, you get the illusion of a fast pace. But there’s no coherence. It doesn’t flow. It comes off as headbanging music, and it can be exhausting. We storyboarded the movie before we had a script: We had 3,500 boards, which helps the cast and crew understand how everything is going to fit together. Movies are getting faster and faster. The Road Warrior had 1,200 cuts. This one has 2,700 cuts. You have to treat it like a symphony.”
~ George Miller

“I was having issues with my script for It’s All About Love, so I called Ingmar Bergman and we ended up talking about everything but the script. He said, “Well, Festen is a masterpiece, so what are you going to do now?” At that point, I had not decided if I was going to make It’s All About Love, so I answered, “Hmmm, I don’t know. Maybe this, maybe that.” There was just a long pause, and then he said, “You’re fucked.” I said, “Well, how can you know?” “Well, Thomas, you always have to decide your next movie before the movie you’re doing presently opens.” And I said, “Why is that?” “Well, two things can happen. One thing is that you fail, and then you’ll feel scared and humiliated. It’ll get into your head. Second, and even worse, you have success, and then you’ll want more of it, or you’ll want to maintain it. But if you decide on your next film while you’re in the middle of editing, it becomes a very nonchalant choice. And then it’s shorter from the heart to the hand.”
~ Thomas Vinterberg