The Film Delivelution: 30811

Universal First Studio to Make All Movie Clips Available Online

Missing from this Hollywood Reporter headline? “Intentionally.”

Because, as we all know, the most popular moments from many, many movies are on YouTube already. But those are not fully controlled or monetized by the studios. This announcement with AnyClip.com is another step towards studios being much more aggressive about controlling their own content.

AnyClip’s service, which seems great at first – until you look real close – is interesting conceptually. There are still very limited clips. For instance, they have Fast Times At Ridgemont High, but no Spicoli and the Phoebe Cates/Judge Reinhold bathing suit scene is listed, but is not available when you click on it. Ratings issues may be an unspoken issue. And the embed option is not currently available on any clip… and that is, really, what will make the whole thing work. It’s not looking through clips that is fun. It’s the ability to contextualize with them.

9 Responses to “The Film Delivelution: 30811”

1. yancyskancy says:

I’ve been trying to think of a circumstance in which I would find this AnyClip service useful. I got nothin’. Maybe if I’m writing a paper or essay and want to refresh my memory of certain moments without pulling out a DVD? Or I’m sitting around with friends and need to settle a bet about a particular moment or line of dialogue? Whatever. I don’t get it.

2. Oddvark says:

How is this different than http://movieclips.com/ which has way more clips (from a bunch of different major studios, including Universal)?

seems to be the same thing.

Interestingly, different clips from Fast Times.

Will look into it.

4. LexG says:

Phoebe Cates was OK but that scene was always overrated. JJL has much better nudity in the movie and I prefer white girls to Vaguely Asian (TM SNL), even if the only thing I’ve ever been able to pull in my adult life is Asian Pussy because White Men In L.A. can’t get White Women.

5. yancyskancy says:

I just like how that’s the first scene Dave goes looking for on these sites. :)

6. Proman says:

Yeah, Lex. THAT’s your problem. Keep saying that to yourself.

7. cadavra says:

Seriously, Lex, what part of Burbank are you in? I’m there frequently and there are plenty of WW walking around.

8. LexG says:

Yeah, old horse-crone types.

9. cadavra says:

Sigh…

“One of my favorite things in watching any performance on film is when there isn’t a lot of cutting going on and when you get a chance to become really absorbed in the artist in hand. The same way we do, hopefully, at a concert, when we get a chance to really trip in to something that’s happening on stage. Whether the singer’s singing, or one of the other musicians is playing, we sort of stay there instead of cutting round with our eyes a lot.”
~ Jonathan Demme

“We’ve talked about this before in the past, my obsession with the Shakespearean histories having the ideal combination of the sweet and the sour. In ‘Henry IV, Part II’ which we’ve discussed before, in the end of that story it’s very complex and haunting because Prince Hal becomes Henry the King, and he has transcended his hoodlum days and at the ceremony is Falstaff, his good friend with whom he has really fucked around and been a loser with, and Falstaff comes up to him and says, ‘Now that you’re king we can really party,’ and the king famously says, ‘I know thee not, old man.’ It becomes Henry IV’s anointment and Falstaff’s catastrophe. That’s life. I have experienced very little unfettered triumph. There are moments, such as when my children are born, but even that comes with new fears and anxieties. In a sense the better you can communicate that life is both at once, the more powerful over time something becomes. One strives for something where the threads are there because it lasts in way that is very palpable. The idea of a tragedy is powerful in literature and theater, but in cinema it doesn’t work, certainly not commercially, and less so critically. Why is that? I think it has to do with how movies are so close to us.”
~ James Gray