Z

The Film Delivelution: 30811

Universal First Studio to Make All Movie Clips Available Online

Missing from this Hollywood Reporter headline? “Intentionally.”

Because, as we all know, the most popular moments from many, many movies are on YouTube already. But those are not fully controlled or monetized by the studios. This announcement with AnyClip.com is another step towards studios being much more aggressive about controlling their own content.

AnyClip’s service, which seems great at first – until you look real close – is interesting conceptually. There are still very limited clips. For instance, they have Fast Times At Ridgemont High, but no Spicoli and the Phoebe Cates/Judge Reinhold bathing suit scene is listed, but is not available when you click on it. Ratings issues may be an unspoken issue. And the embed option is not currently available on any clip… and that is, really, what will make the whole thing work. It’s not looking through clips that is fun. It’s the ability to contextualize with them.

9 Responses to “The Film Delivelution: 30811”

1. yancyskancy says:

I’ve been trying to think of a circumstance in which I would find this AnyClip service useful. I got nothin’. Maybe if I’m writing a paper or essay and want to refresh my memory of certain moments without pulling out a DVD? Or I’m sitting around with friends and need to settle a bet about a particular moment or line of dialogue? Whatever. I don’t get it.

2. Oddvark says:

How is this different than http://movieclips.com/ which has way more clips (from a bunch of different major studios, including Universal)?

seems to be the same thing.

Interestingly, different clips from Fast Times.

Will look into it.

4. LexG says:

Phoebe Cates was OK but that scene was always overrated. JJL has much better nudity in the movie and I prefer white girls to Vaguely Asian (TM SNL), even if the only thing I’ve ever been able to pull in my adult life is Asian Pussy because White Men In L.A. can’t get White Women.

5. yancyskancy says:

I just like how that’s the first scene Dave goes looking for on these sites. :)

6. Proman says:

Yeah, Lex. THAT’s your problem. Keep saying that to yourself.

7. cadavra says:

Seriously, Lex, what part of Burbank are you in? I’m there frequently and there are plenty of WW walking around.

8. LexG says:

Yeah, old horse-crone types.

9. cadavra says:

Sigh…

Z

“The evening’s curious vanity and irrelevance stay with me, if only because those qualities characterize so many of Hollywood’s best intentions. Social problems present themselves to many of these people in terms of a scenario, in which, once certain key scenes are licked (the confrontation on the courthouse steps, the revelation that the opposition leader has an anti-Semitic past, the presentation of the bill of participants to the President, a Henry Fonda cameo), the plot will proceed inexorably to an upbeat fade. Marlon Brando does not, in a well-plotted motion picture, picket San Quentin in vain: what we are talking about here is faith in a dramatic convention. Things “happen” in motion pictures. There is always a resolution, always a strong cause-effect dramatic line, and to perceive the world in those terms is to assume an ending for every social scenario… If the poor people march on Washington and camp out, there to receive bundles of clothes gathered on the Fox lot by Barbra Streisand, then some good must come of it (the script here has a great many dramatic staples, not the least of them in a sentimental notion of Washington as an open forum, cf. Mr. Deeds Goes to Washington), and doubts have no place in the story.”
~ Joan Didion On Hw’d In 1970

CAMPION: We were driving around the countryside the other day, and we happened to chance upon a lone bull and cow going through some sex rituals. I was so surprised to see how lengthy the whole process was for this bull. He started licking the cow’s shin and worked his way quite laboriously up toward her ass. And every now and again, you thought, “Maybe she’s ready now—he’ll try a quick move.”
TAYLOR-JOHNSON: She wasn’t ready.
CAMPION: She made it clear that that wasn’t the case. We couldn’t even wait; it was like 15 minutes, but it was really adorable. Even when we came back, they were still at it. The foreplay was phenomenal.
TAYLOR-JOHNSON: You don’t think of animal love in that way.
~ Jane Campion And Sam Taylor-Johnson in Interview