Z

The Film Delivelution: 30811

Universal First Studio to Make All Movie Clips Available Online

Missing from this Hollywood Reporter headline? “Intentionally.”

Because, as we all know, the most popular moments from many, many movies are on YouTube already. But those are not fully controlled or monetized by the studios. This announcement with AnyClip.com is another step towards studios being much more aggressive about controlling their own content.

AnyClip’s service, which seems great at first – until you look real close – is interesting conceptually. There are still very limited clips. For instance, they have Fast Times At Ridgemont High, but no Spicoli and the Phoebe Cates/Judge Reinhold bathing suit scene is listed, but is not available when you click on it. Ratings issues may be an unspoken issue. And the embed option is not currently available on any clip… and that is, really, what will make the whole thing work. It’s not looking through clips that is fun. It’s the ability to contextualize with them.

9 Responses to “The Film Delivelution: 30811”

1. yancyskancy says:

I’ve been trying to think of a circumstance in which I would find this AnyClip service useful. I got nothin’. Maybe if I’m writing a paper or essay and want to refresh my memory of certain moments without pulling out a DVD? Or I’m sitting around with friends and need to settle a bet about a particular moment or line of dialogue? Whatever. I don’t get it.

2. Oddvark says:

How is this different than http://movieclips.com/ which has way more clips (from a bunch of different major studios, including Universal)?

seems to be the same thing.

Interestingly, different clips from Fast Times.

Will look into it.

4. LexG says:

Phoebe Cates was OK but that scene was always overrated. JJL has much better nudity in the movie and I prefer white girls to Vaguely Asian (TM SNL), even if the only thing I’ve ever been able to pull in my adult life is Asian Pussy because White Men In L.A. can’t get White Women.

5. yancyskancy says:

I just like how that’s the first scene Dave goes looking for on these sites. :)

6. Proman says:

Yeah, Lex. THAT’s your problem. Keep saying that to yourself.

7. cadavra says:

Seriously, Lex, what part of Burbank are you in? I’m there frequently and there are plenty of WW walking around.

8. LexG says:

Yeah, old horse-crone types.

9. cadavra says:

Sigh…

“Tarkovsky was sitting in the corner of the screening room watching the film with me, but he got up as soon as the film was over and looked at me with a shy smile. I said to him, ‘It’s very good. It’s a frightening movie.’ He seemed embarrassed but smiled happily. Then the two of us went to a film union restaurant and toasted with vodka. Tarkovsky, who does not usually drink, got completely drunk and cut off the speakers at the restaurant, then began singing the theme of Seven Samurai at the top of his voice. I joined in, eager to keep up. At that moment, I was very happy to be on Earth.”
~ Akira Kurosawa On Watching Solaris With Andrei Tarkovsky

“Women’s power is too potent to waste on selfies… Truly dangerous women aren’t looking for dates or husbands, and they do not travel in packs. They rarely have many female friends. Their register is either universal, or intensely personal. They play mind games and make promises. Whether they deliver or not remains a secret, and secrets are essential to seduction. The Web has eroded every notion of privacy and stolen the real power of women: the threat of mystery itself.  “I can see you’re trouble” was once the biggest compliment a man could pay a woman. There was going to be a dark spiral into the whirlpool of sex; there were going to be tears on both sides, secrets and regrets, scandal. Today, everyone is trouble.”
~ Joan Juliet Buck in “W”

Z Z