Z

By DP30 david@thehotbuttonl.com

DP/30: I AM, director Tom Shadyac

17 Responses to “DP/30: I AM, director Tom Shadyac”

1. J. Ronald Trost says:

Tom: You do not know me. I saw you on Morning Joe this morning and said to myself: That’s got to be Dick Shadyac’s son. I worked with your Dad for several years in the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice but we moved apart when I went back to my home state of California in 1962 but managed to stay in touch a little bit.. I just googled your Dad and found out that he passed away 2 years ago. He was a great man. Even in his early years he was obsessed with St Jude’s Hospital.Being Jewish, we had many spirited but friendly conversations about the Middle East. A wonderful, wonderful human being. Am going to see I Am in New York where I live.

2. I was so deeply touched by this film. We need to hear this message over and over again.

3. I was so deeply moved by this movie that I just saw this afternoon. This message needs to be told around the world. Bless you for your effort to do just that.

4. Hi Tom,

Rats! I missed you in Denver last Friday. Would have loved to partake in the Q/A at Chez Artiste. I saw the film yesterday with a big crowd of people. It’s the first time in a long time that I heard spontaneous clapping at the end. Folks loved it, as did I…especially the HeartMath segments. (I heard about HeartMath several years ago & was blown away by their research.) You might like a film that I directed that was just released on Amazon a few days ago. It’s another fun paradigm-shifter called “Black Whole.”

Look forward to getting the DVD of “I AM” and watching the extras!

5. Maria Ustinova crane says:

This is the very best film I have ever seen I am 8m 81
    I would love to get the DVD when will it be available I want to see it over and again- its outrageously good!

6. trish koser says:

Saw Tom Shadyak on Oprah Show. He sounds phenomonal. Very interesting. Opens up eyes. Thank you for being a shiny spirit!

Best, Trisha (warm hearted soul doing her best in Portland, OR)

7. Tonya Paez says:

I am wondering if you can help me in the process of opening a non-profit organization for seminarians? Please let me know. I will give you detailed information if I get an answer back! I need your help!!!
    Tonya Paez

8. Cindy Kraft says:

I love Tom Shadyac! Invisible Children is how I connected
    today on Oprah and found out who Tom Shadyac really is …..wow ….what he has to offer this world in a positive light!!! Looking forward to seeing the documentary “I Am”. Invisible Children is close to my heart and I am so proud of our hometown youth, finding and connecting our future to lifting up children in the world that need you. Thanks for giving this world hope.

9. Eileen Lawrence says:

Hey Tom, I couldn’t see you on the Oprah show, but checked out your appearance on her website. I had just had a challenging conversation at a party last week about what constitutes success that caused me to dig up a quote that I had saved that I thought you might be interested in.
    ” He has achieved success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much;who has gained the respect of intelligent people and the love of little children; who has filled his niche and accomplished his task;who has left the world better than he found it,whether by an improved poppy, a perfect poem or a rescued soul; who has never lacked appreciation of earth’s beauty or failed to express it; who has looked for the best in others and given the best he had; whose life was an inspiration; whose memory a benediction.” Mrs A.J.Stanley
    Words to live by- I look forward to seeing I AM. Thanks for making it.

10. Tom,

I saw you an OPRAH yesterday.I too experienced the shamanic journey of almost dying in order to wake up!!
    I can’t wait to see the film when it comes to Metro Detroit, MI. God bless you!!

Eileen McDevitt

11. margaret says:

I just saw your film, thank you for the old shots of Peace Pilgrim, I met her in 1971 and had a 10 year exchange of letters with her before her death. I have always been trying to find peace inside. I wonder, looking at my 40 year old son if it is not hard when you are struggling to survive financially. You did come from the financially secure side of the scale and did not have to worry about a roof over your head. Have you looked at that side of the story?
    I know you are correct in what you have presented. I have known physicists who talk about the molecular and even planetary phenomena mentioned in the film. I have also been practicing spiritually most of my life. I cannot think of anything more important or enriching.

12. Jaime Lyn Brisebois says:

Tom,

I know you will understand this!
    In 1982 at the age of nineteen I moved to California to pursue a career in special effects make-up. After three weeks of schooling my little brother of 11 years was hit and killed on his bike by a drunk driver. My inspiration and joy had left this world. I came back to Toronto to deal with my new life and all the pain I was too endure. I struggled for years to find some truth in life. I was searching always searching.
    Finally in 2007 my great nephew was born to my disabled niece. I took both of them in as they had nowhere to go. It was discovered in 2009 my great nephew also had a disability. In taking these children in I have been able to open that place in my heart that I thought was forever hardened. My great nephew gives me the light to feel my little brothers spirit. Although he is only three he is my teacher. Some little life force so small is my guide to understanding.
    Tom with G-d’s will, at some point in time I hope to be able to talk to you. I have an idea to share. The truth for me is; If it is meant to be it will happen.
    I am so grateful you have expressed through action that there is another way to live.We all seem to get caught up wanting more than we need.

Jaime Lyn Brisebois

13. I relish, lead to I found just what I was having a look for. You’ve ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

14. I’m so happy to see someone like you tell this kind of story.

15. Ozaltin says:

Hi Tom,

I would love to watch the film and to be a part of your journey. I’m leaving in Turkey and don’t know how to get it. Please help! :)

Please accept my love,.. ”love without condition”

Ozaltin Ucok

16. ora says:

Saw you briefly about I am reading about you now God bless you on your journey of life. Will write more next time.

17. Hideki Oshiro says:

I watched the film by Netflix, with legend in Portuguese.
    I regret that many deep messages was lost due to legend in yellow color is impossible to read printed on white or yellow screen.
    Netflix should repair this mistake in all films.

DP/30

“We don’t defy the laws of physics: There are no flying men or cars in this movie. So it made sense to do it old-school: real vehicles and real human beings in the desert. We shot the movie more or less in continuity, because the cars and the characters get really banged up along the way. The biggest benefit of digital technology for me was that the cameras were smaller and much more agile, so you could put them anywhere. We also spent a huge amount of time on spatial awareness—making sure the viewer could follow the action and understand what was happening. There has to be a strong causal connection from one shot to the next, just the same way that in music, there has to be a connection from one note to the next. Otherwise it’s just noise. Too often, if you just cram a lot of stuff into the frame, you get the illusion of a fast pace. But there’s no coherence. It doesn’t flow. It comes off as headbanging music, and it can be exhausting. We storyboarded the movie before we had a script: We had 3,500 boards, which helps the cast and crew understand how everything is going to fit together. Movies are getting faster and faster. The Road Warrior had 1,200 cuts. This one has 2,700 cuts. You have to treat it like a symphony.”
~ George Miller

“I was having issues with my script for It’s All About Love, so I called Ingmar Bergman and we ended up talking about everything but the script. He said, “Well, Festen is a masterpiece, so what are you going to do now?” At that point, I had not decided if I was going to make It’s All About Love, so I answered, “Hmmm, I don’t know. Maybe this, maybe that.” There was just a long pause, and then he said, “You’re fucked.” I said, “Well, how can you know?” “Well, Thomas, you always have to decide your next movie before the movie you’re doing presently opens.” And I said, “Why is that?” “Well, two things can happen. One thing is that you fail, and then you’ll feel scared and humiliated. It’ll get into your head. Second, and even worse, you have success, and then you’ll want more of it, or you’ll want to maintain it. But if you decide on your next film while you’re in the middle of editing, it becomes a very nonchalant choice. And then it’s shorter from the heart to the hand.”
~ Thomas Vinterberg