By DP30 david@thehotbuttonl.com

DP/30: I AM, director Tom Shadyac

16 Responses to “DP/30: I AM, director Tom Shadyac”

1. J. Ronald Trost says:

Tom: You do not know me. I saw you on Morning Joe this morning and said to myself: That’s got to be Dick Shadyac’s son. I worked with your Dad for several years in the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice but we moved apart when I went back to my home state of California in 1962 but managed to stay in touch a little bit.. I just googled your Dad and found out that he passed away 2 years ago. He was a great man. Even in his early years he was obsessed with St Jude’s Hospital.Being Jewish, we had many spirited but friendly conversations about the Middle East. A wonderful, wonderful human being. Am going to see I Am in New York where I live.

2. I was so deeply touched by this film. We need to hear this message over and over again.

3. I was so deeply moved by this movie that I just saw this afternoon. This message needs to be told around the world. Bless you for your effort to do just that.

4. Hi Tom,

Rats! I missed you in Denver last Friday. Would have loved to partake in the Q/A at Chez Artiste. I saw the film yesterday with a big crowd of people. It’s the first time in a long time that I heard spontaneous clapping at the end. Folks loved it, as did I…especially the HeartMath segments. (I heard about HeartMath several years ago & was blown away by their research.) You might like a film that I directed that was just released on Amazon a few days ago. It’s another fun paradigm-shifter called “Black Whole.”

Look forward to getting the DVD of “I AM” and watching the extras!

5. Maria Ustinova crane says:

This is the very best film I have ever seen I am 8m 81
    I would love to get the DVD when will it be available I want to see it over and again- its outrageously good!

6. trish koser says:

Saw Tom Shadyak on Oprah Show. He sounds phenomonal. Very interesting. Opens up eyes. Thank you for being a shiny spirit!

Best, Trisha (warm hearted soul doing her best in Portland, OR)

7. Tonya Paez says:

I am wondering if you can help me in the process of opening a non-profit organization for seminarians? Please let me know. I will give you detailed information if I get an answer back! I need your help!!!
    Tonya Paez

8. Cindy Kraft says:

I love Tom Shadyac! Invisible Children is how I connected
    today on Oprah and found out who Tom Shadyac really is …..wow ….what he has to offer this world in a positive light!!! Looking forward to seeing the documentary “I Am”. Invisible Children is close to my heart and I am so proud of our hometown youth, finding and connecting our future to lifting up children in the world that need you. Thanks for giving this world hope.

9. Eileen Lawrence says:

Hey Tom, I couldn’t see you on the Oprah show, but checked out your appearance on her website. I had just had a challenging conversation at a party last week about what constitutes success that caused me to dig up a quote that I had saved that I thought you might be interested in.
    ” He has achieved success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much;who has gained the respect of intelligent people and the love of little children; who has filled his niche and accomplished his task;who has left the world better than he found it,whether by an improved poppy, a perfect poem or a rescued soul; who has never lacked appreciation of earth’s beauty or failed to express it; who has looked for the best in others and given the best he had; whose life was an inspiration; whose memory a benediction.” Mrs A.J.Stanley
    Words to live by- I look forward to seeing I AM. Thanks for making it.

10. Tom,

I saw you an OPRAH yesterday.I too experienced the shamanic journey of almost dying in order to wake up!!
    I can’t wait to see the film when it comes to Metro Detroit, MI. God bless you!!

Eileen McDevitt

11. margaret says:

I just saw your film, thank you for the old shots of Peace Pilgrim, I met her in 1971 and had a 10 year exchange of letters with her before her death. I have always been trying to find peace inside. I wonder, looking at my 40 year old son if it is not hard when you are struggling to survive financially. You did come from the financially secure side of the scale and did not have to worry about a roof over your head. Have you looked at that side of the story?
    I know you are correct in what you have presented. I have known physicists who talk about the molecular and even planetary phenomena mentioned in the film. I have also been practicing spiritually most of my life. I cannot think of anything more important or enriching.

12. Jaime Lyn Brisebois says:

Tom,

I know you will understand this!
    In 1982 at the age of nineteen I moved to California to pursue a career in special effects make-up. After three weeks of schooling my little brother of 11 years was hit and killed on his bike by a drunk driver. My inspiration and joy had left this world. I came back to Toronto to deal with my new life and all the pain I was too endure. I struggled for years to find some truth in life. I was searching always searching.
    Finally in 2007 my great nephew was born to my disabled niece. I took both of them in as they had nowhere to go. It was discovered in 2009 my great nephew also had a disability. In taking these children in I have been able to open that place in my heart that I thought was forever hardened. My great nephew gives me the light to feel my little brothers spirit. Although he is only three he is my teacher. Some little life force so small is my guide to understanding.
    Tom with G-d’s will, at some point in time I hope to be able to talk to you. I have an idea to share. The truth for me is; If it is meant to be it will happen.
    I am so grateful you have expressed through action that there is another way to live.We all seem to get caught up wanting more than we need.

Jaime Lyn Brisebois

13. I relish, lead to I found just what I was having a look for. You’ve ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

14. I’m so happy to see someone like you tell this kind of story.

15. Ozaltin says:

Hi Tom,

I would love to watch the film and to be a part of your journey. I’m leaving in Turkey and don’t know how to get it. Please help! :)

Please accept my love,.. ”love without condition”

Ozaltin Ucok

16. ora says:

Saw you briefly about I am reading about you now God bless you on your journey of life. Will write more next time.

DP/30

“By the time the sounds of the Von Trapp children warbling ‘Silent Night’ drift through The Giver, you may find yourself wondering what fresh movie hell this is. In truth, the enervating hash of dystopian dread, vague religiosity and commercial advertising-style uplift is nothing if not stale. Adapted from Lois Lowry’s book for young readers, the story involves an isolated society that, with its cubistic dwellings, mindless smiles, monochromatic environs and nebulous communitarianism, seem modeled on a Scandinavian country or an old Mentos commercial.”
~ Manohla Dargis’ Deadly Lede For Review Of The Giver

“It’s possible that in the coming days or, God forbid, weeks, the president could have something more specific to say about the freighted decades-long history of political imbalance at work, in this case between a mostly black working-class town and its majority white government and police force. But this is a black man who must choose his words about race, governance, and law enforcement even more carefully than a white politician would. And this is the third summer in which, as president, he would have to do so…

“Until this point in the turmoil, the absence of the crucial second face in the incident seemed to heighten the distance between police and the people they serve. It grants them both an anonymity and autonomy that matches the bizarre transformation, in Ferguson and elsewhere, of police into troops. The riot gear turns 2014 into a dot on a Jim Crow–era timeline. Since the officer’s name wasn’t made public more immediately, it should have seemed urgent for the police to lose the riot attire and take steps to minimize distrust, to dispel the contagious assumption that silence equates racism…

“What is so affecting isn’t just that 18-year-old Michael Brown was killed when he was barely a man. It’s other things as well. One was how many reports of the incident that first day mentioned that he was about to start college. That’s a rite that’s universally emotional. But for a black male from a poor family, the first day of college is a freighted day that usually requires the sacrifice of more than one person. Black people know the odds of getting to and graduating from college, and that they’re low. That Brown seemed to be on the right path compounded the parental, local, and national outrage over his being wiped from it.”

~ Wesley Morris On Let’s Be Cops, The Shooting In Ferguson, Obama…