DGA

It’s been one of those crazed, computerless days.

I’m not shocked by the nominations. No, it’s not good for True Grit‘s Best Picture winning odds. You have to go back to 2001 and 1999 to find DGA Achievement In Motion Pictures winners whose films didn’t win Best Picture (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Saving Private Ryan)… and in both cases, the Best Picture winner was one of the other nominees.

I would say that Fincher is a stone lock to win this award.

Be Sociable, Share!

15 Responses to “DGA”

1. IOv3 says:

I would disagree 100 percent. It’s either Hooper or Nolan. I would go with Nolan just because the guy has gone out of his way with the DGA and that has to eventually lead to him getting their top award.

2. actionman says:

Fincher wins it for TSN and his entire body of work.

3. IOv3 says:

I would agree with you if it were not for the obvious impression that the DGA likes Fincher as much as they like co-director credits. Nolan goes out of his way for the DGA and Hooper had a standard story as well and directed it better. If Fincher wins, I would be shocked.

4. JoshMorgan says:

Hang on. Six days ago, when the PGA noms came out, DP looked ahead to the DGA and said this: “Fincher, Coens, Aronofsky, Nolan, Russell… Real surprise would be Affleck or Tom Hooper.”

So now it’s Hooper, and he’s “not shocked.” But he must be, um, real surprised, right?

5. Joe Leydon says:

Foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds. Right, David?

6. IOv3 says:

You would think Josh but David is a peculiar guy. What he has to be shocked about is what this does to True Grits chances because where the Directors go, usually the Academy follows as he stated, so yeah, he’s surprised. He’s got to be surprised.

Hooper is a surprise, but a minor one.

8. IOv3 says:

David, get on board The King’s Speech train. COME ON RIDE THE TRAIN! AND RIDE IT! COME ON RIDE THE TRAIN! AND RIDE IT!

9. yancyskancy says:

As I said in the BYOB thread before seeing this one, most critics I respect seemed underwhelmed by Hooper’s direction, even if they liked THE KING’S SPEECH. I thought maybe he’d be the one left out. But I guess I’ll go ahead and guess that the Coens make the Oscar cut, with maybe Russell getting the snub.

10. IOv3 says:

Yancy, did those same critics love Fincher’s direction in TSN? Seriously, Hooper takes something that any other director would make very flat and standard Brit film way, and tweaks it in a way that’s just not seen in similar films.

Now, sure, the Coens could get the nom over Russell, but they just got there’s recently. Am I really alone in thinking that will have some effect on their chances of winning anything this time around?

11. The Pope says:

IOv3,
    I agree. You would think that winning so recently would not affect the Coens’ chances of winning again. I mean, after all the Guild is voting for Best of the Year… not “Best of the Year if you haven’t won in the last few years.”

I think Hooper’s direction of TKS is very measured and because of that seems not to be heavily directed. Somewhat similar to Driving Miss Daisy or Little Miss Sunshine; films where the direction doesn’t come straight at you (i.e., all the light nuance of say, Darren Aronofksy!). But Hooper’s direction is nonetheless very good and is deserving of the nomination.

12. IOv3 says:

Ladies and gents, our blog has been hacked. HUZZAH!

13. Kerry Frey says:

I’ve commented on this site – and on Wells’ site as well that part of the Oscar season fun is watching David & Jeffrey duke it out (digitally – right up to Oscar night) for their favorite. The Coen’s loss here certainly takes some of the air out of that balloon – but the balloon hasn’t popped just yet. Oh it’s floating real low running out of helium – but it hasn’t popped.

14. cadavra says:

Y’know, “Directing” isn’t always about flashy camerawork and show-offy editing. Sometimes it’s just about conveying a story well and bringing the most of the actors. THE KING’S SPEECH certainly qualifies on that basis.

15. Stoogey says:

The examples cited (Crouching Tiger, Private Ryan) were from the era of only five BP nominees. Doesn’t the expansion to ten make the comparison kinda moot? Is the director’s branch of the Academy really big enough to sway the BP award?

“I really want to see The Irishman. I’ve heard it’s big brother Martin Scorsese’s masterpiece. But I really can’t find the time. The promotion schedule is so tight, there’s no opportunity to see a three and a half-hour movie. But I really want to see it. In 2017, right before Okja’s New York premiere, I had the chance to go to Scorsese’s office, which is in the DGA building. There’s a lovely screening room there, too, with film prints that he’s collected. I talked to him for about an hour. There’s no movie he hasn’t seen, even Korean films. We talked about what he’s seen and his past work. It was a glorious day. I’ve loved his work since I was in college. Who doesn’t? Anyone involved with movies must feel the same way.”
~ Bong Joon-ho

“But okay, I promise you now that if I ever retire again, I’m going to ensure that I can’t walk it back. I’ll post a series of the most disgusting, offensive, outrageous statements you can ever imagine. That way it will be impossible for me to ever be employed again. No one is going to take my calls. No one is going to want to be seen with me. Oh, it will be scorched earth. I will have torched everything. I’m going to flame out in the most legendary fashion.”
~ Steven Soderbergh