By DP30 david@thehotbuttonl.com

True Grit, actor Hailee Steinfeld

20 Responses to “True Grit, actor Hailee Steinfeld”

1. Robert Hamer says:

“You’re in virtually every scene, every frame…”

Since you point out that obvious fact, I do wonder how she feels about being campaigned for Best Supporting Actress even though she plays – unquestionably – a lead role in True Grit. I’m sure that as a young newcomer, she doesn’t want to bite the hand that feeds her (in this case, the studio campaigning her) and jeopardize her chances at major publicity.

Nevertheless, does Steinfeld feel like she’s “cheating” her way to an Oscar, or does she think it’s perfectly fair of her to compete with actresses who had to develop their characters and make an impression with just a few scenes?

2. JPK says:

Well, she’s just adorable. I know that sounds ageist and sexist but I don’t care.

Robert… if I thought for a second that she was conscious of such distinctions, I would have asked her about it.

I left the opening sequence in, in part because it was the explanation of the first question of the formal part of the interview, but more so because it shows that this is, really, a 14-year-old girl, poised and precocious, but still silly and maturing and putting on a little bit of a show about her comfort with all this attention.

At one point, off camera, a reference was made to an unpleasant piece of gossip history with another young actor… and she had no idea what we were referring to… and smartly (and kindly), her publicist felt no need to stick something ugly in her brain.

She texts a lot and I am sure she will end up reading blogs and such that make an issue of her category. And I don’t disagree that it’s an issue. But for this young lady to be in serious contention for any acting award in any acting category for a role that was almost as verbally complex as Jesse Eisenberg’s in The Social Network (almost) is a real achievement and I can live with the categorization.

4. Rob says:

Guys, I don’t get True Grit. It’s fine but so minor. Is there subtext I’m missing?

5. christian says:

The Coens are the subtext.

6. Rob says:

As in, “If you don’t get the subtext, this movie could’ve been directed by Ron Howard?”

7. You mean The Missing? It was a good/not great film back in 2003, but I imagine it would feel like a breath of fresh air by today’s standards. Ironically, and this isn’t a slam on True Grit (also good/not great), but the Coens made a somewhat more kid-friendly, almost innocent (up to a point of course) coming of age western, compared to Ron Howard, who’s own western was dark and brutal and quite cynical. Right or wrong, if you did a blind taste test-type thing, I imagine quite a few would tell you that the Coens directed The Missing and Ron Howard directed True Grit. Random thought for the moment…

8. LexG says:

She’s cute!

9. hcat says:

I would disagree with you on that Scott, Howard’s earnestness is evident in every scene of the Missing. Mattie is earnest but the movie is not. I agree Grit is innocent, and almost kid-friendly (I was watching it thinking I can’t wait to watch this with my daughter, then came the knife to the chest, and I revised the watch date back a few years), and while humorous it is not the usual Coen humor, but there is nothing in The Missing that would make someone expect the Coens. The Missing screamed IMPORTANT EPIC MOVIE in every frame, which is Far and Away a dead Howard giveaway.

10. Tim says:

While watching the movie, at first, I thought, “She’s like a really good high school musical actor.” But as the movie went along, she grew more and more credible and endearing. Loved the movie and loved this interview with her.

11. LexG says:

Hailee is the niece of ’80s fitness icon JAKE STEINFELD.

Talk about burying the lead. That’s like finding out Chloe Moretz is related to Jacko the Energizer Guy or something.

12. LexG says:

Hey asshole, why didn’t you ask the most obvious of questions and find out if she actually watched the original TRUE GRIT?

13. LexG says:

hey THE REAL LEXG here who Poland knows and loves:

I didn’t post the above comment.

One of the flaws of Poland’s new software is you can log in as anybody.

I didn’t post that and I wouldn’t call Poland an “asshole.” The IP or email log in will bear that out.

14. Johnny Luckett says:

“…Yes, I think that Hailee Steinfeld is just wonderful!­!! Her on-screen work will just blow you away. I think she is the Best Actress of the year.’True Grit’ is a great film and a must see. Also, I must note that Jeff Bridges & Matt Damon keep on showing us what great acting is all about.” – Johnny Luckett http://www.imdb.com/rg/s/3/name/nm3974084/

15. oil says:

Good, she’s just beautyful. I know ageist.

16. bluraymovies says:

The Coens are the subtext.

17. Sole F80 2011 says:

I fall in love with her. So pretty

18. Bird says:

She is so pretty, nice smile. I become to be her fan club for now.

19. psp says:

Princess ^^

20. Jerry Cook. says:

Well, I am her fan as well. I really like her.. actually, I just watched her shows more than 2 times.

DP/30

“We don’t have any idea what the universe is. Wise people have always told us that this is proof you shouldn’t think, because thinking leads you nowhere. You just build over this huge construction of misunderstanding, which is culture. The history of culture is the history of the misunderstandings of great thinkers. So we always have to go back to zero and begin differently. And maybe in that way you have a chance not to understand but at least not to have further misunderstandings. Because this is the other side of this question—Am I really so brave to cancel all human culture? To stop admiring the beauty in human production? It’s very difficult to say no.”
~ László Krasznahorkai

“I have a license to carry in New York. Can you believe that? Nobody knows that, [Applause] somebody attacks, somebody attacks me, oh, they’re gonna be shot. Can you imagine? Somebody says, oh, it is Trump, he’s easy pickings what do you say? Right? Oh, boy. What was the famous movie? No. Remember, no remember where he went around and he sort of after his wife was hurt so badly and kill. What?  I — Honestly, Yeah, right, it’s true, but you have many of them. Famous movie. Somebody. You have many of them. Charles Bronson right the late great Charles Bronson name of the movie come on.  , remember that? Ah, we’re gonna cut you up, sir, we’re gonna cut you up, uh-huh.

Bing!

One of the great movies. Charles Bronson, great, Charles Bronson. Great movies. Today you can’t make that movie because it’s not politically correct, right? It’s not politically correct. But could you imagine with Trump? Somebody says, oh, all these big monsters aren’t around he’s easy pickings and then shoot.”
~ Donald Trump