Boston Film Critics 2010 Awards

Best New Filmmaker
Jeff Malmberg for Marwencol

Best Ensemble Cast
The Fighter

Best Use of Music in a Film
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross for The Social Network

11 Responses to “Boston Film Critics 2010 Awards”

1. Robert Hamer says:

BFCA, Chicago Film Critics, Houston Area Film Critics, SAG, Southeastern Film Critics, and Toronto Film Critics…all idiots. Every one of them.

And I will describe anyone else who classifies Hailee Steinfeld as a “supporting actress” in True Grit likewise.

2. Robert Hamer says:

Weird…I posted this on the Scoreboard section, but it shows up here. What gives?

3. Ben says:

You have “Winter’s Bone” listed 3 times.

4. Thanks for listing NYFCO, David. NYFCO gave “Exit Through the Gift Shop” best documentary.

5. NW7 says:

Great effort. I see that you don’t have The Oklahoma Film Critics Circle on the list.

*** I posted this comment on the Scoreboard section but it showed here.

6. NW7 says:

Didn’t The Social Network won The Southeastern Film Critics Association (SEFC) best film?

*** I posted this comment on the Scoreboard section but it showed here.

7. Stu Wilson says:

Maybe Winter’s Bone will do better if you combine the score instead of listing it three times.

*** I see Ben already mentioned this, but I didn’t see it when I posted because like everyone else it got sent to the wrong page.

8. Exit Through the Gift Shop. NYFCO: Best Documentary as of 12/12/10. Please update

9. Tracy says:

I feel like I have been living under a rock for the past year or so because I have not heard of nearly most of these movies. Time to get out a bit more I guess.

10. Logan says:

Why is Winter’s Bone on the list twice–with 5 and with 2? Not a single mention for The Town? So why is this film on everybody’s pick to be the #9 or #10 film on the Oscar Best Picture list? If its star/director were Ben Smith instead of Ben Affleck, would there be such interest in a good but pretty ordinary heist film?

11. Logan says:

STILL NOT A SINGLE POINT FOR ‘THE TOWN.’ WHY IS THIS MOVIE BEING PAID ATTENTION TO FOR BIG AWARDS?????

(CAUSE IT’S BEN AFFLECK, STUPID.)

“The word I have fallen in love with lately is ‘Hellenic.’ Greek in its mythology. So while everyone is skewing towards the YouTube generation, here we are making two-and-a-half-hour movies and trying to buck the system. It’s become clear to me that we are never going to be a perfect fit with Hollywood; we will always be the renegade Texans running around trying to stir the pot. Really it’s not provocation for the sake of being provocative, but trying to make something that people fall in love with and has staying power. I think people are going to remember Dragged Across Concrete and these other movies decades from now. I do not believe that they will remember some of the stuff that big Hollywood has put out in the last couple of years. You’ve got to look at the independent space to find the movies that have been really special recently. Even though I don’t share the same world-view as some of my colleagues, I certainly respect the hell out of their movies which are way more fascinating than the stuff coming out of the studio system.”
~ Dallas Sonnier

“My first objective relationship in life was with the camera. I didn’t understand anything but then I realized the camera is my friend. It doesn’t lie to me. It doesn’t manipulate me. It only reports what I’m doing. And therefore, for me to work with a camera and the camera to be directed by an artist, a craftsman, someone who knows what he or she wants, I couldn’t ask for anything more.”
~ Elliot Gould