By DP30 david@thehotbuttonl.com

DP/30: Winter’s Bone, actor Jennifer Lawrence

9 Responses to “DP/30: Winter’s Bone, actor Jennifer Lawrence”

1. Keil Shults says:

Despite having read this website for years, I’ve never really gotten around to watching these DP interviews. But with my new job affording me lots of time alone in a room in front of a computer, I figured, “What the hell.”

Anyway, interesting interview. I have yet to see Winter’s Bone, but apparently Netflix shipped it to me today, so I should be viewing it tomorrow evening. Very eager to see if the film and its newfound star are worth all this hubbub (I’m guessing they are).

As for Lawrence herself…she seems to have many admirable qualities that appear to be lacking from many Hollywood starlets, but I suppose it’s also early in her career. Hopefully she won’t get seduced by the dark side. My heart still hasn’t recovered from realizing that Veronica Mars was only a fictional character, and the girl who played her seems intent on going against every witty, intelligent, sarcastic bone in her alter ego’s body.

2. sanj says:

that was fun – she got annoyed by your questions by the
    end…

DP – time to get teen reporter to do teen actor interviews

3. LexG says:

“DP – time to get teen reporter to do teen actor interviews”

Bullshit, time to get LEXG to do the teen ACTRESS interviews.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

4. t.holly says:

29:50 Action in the bedroom, hilarious.

5. NickF says:

Good stuff sir. She has an un-corrupted view of Hollywood, maybe even naive at times. But that is nice to see every once in a while. Her personality is very likable.

I finally saw Winter’s Bone over the weekend, and she most definitely deserves a best actress nomination. The competition will be fierce, but the performance is exceptional.

6. LexG says:

Is there anything more hypnotic than a young blonde woman?

Answer: NO.

7. Keil Shults says:

Since she seems to love P.T. Anderson, I’ll be the first to suggest he cast her as the lead in a Rollergirl spin-off (no pun intended).

8. Keil Shults says:

Finally saw the film last night. I liked the movie well enough, but felt it was a bit overrated. I’d give it a solid B+, and am definitely thinking of removing it from my Top 10 Best Pic Nominee Predictions.

As for her performance…I thought it was really good, especially given her age and relative inexperience. However, I didn’t find it quite as amazing or affecting as I had anticipated, and while I still think a nomination is possible, it seems unlikely that she could actually win.

And finally, John Hawkes is indeed a badass.

9. Chris Rasmussen says:

A solid, inspiring interview with a sincere, professional, unaffected talent. Would that the audio recordist have smacked the interviewer the first of FAR too many times that he annoyingly pounded or scratched his mic…

DP/30

“A lot of us felt blindsided,” Van Vliet told me. In the seventies, Van Vliet was drafted out of film school by Industrial Light & Magic, where he worked on The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Now 62 and semi-retired, he said, “Once you get into your fifties, you’re pretty disposable.” Van Vliet was in the middle of reviewing DVD screeners before casting his Oscar votes, a process he estimated would take a hundred and twenty hours. “The Academy is essentially asking us to give them three weeks of labor, and then they’re going to take our results, put them into a ceremony, and sell it,” he said, referring to the seventy-five million dollars that the organization earns from the television broadcast. “Then they’re turning around and kicking us in the teeth.”
~ “Shakeup At The Oscars”

“Richard Schickel was a very perceptive critic and a wonderful writer and documentary filmmaker. As a person he was, to use a once popular term, ‘crusty,’ and he could be brutally funny. But it’s his deep and abiding love of movies that I’ll always remember about him. His early 70s PBS series ‘The Men Who Made the Movies,’ his 2004 restoration of Sam Fuller’s The Big Red One, his wonderful little book about ‘Double Indemnity,’ his biographies of Chaplin and Cary Grant… this is a man who gave his life to the thing he loved.”
~ Martin Scorsese