By DP30 david@thehotbuttonl.com

Winter’s Bone, actor John Hawkes

11 Responses to “Winter’s Bone, actor John Hawkes”

1. Krillian says:

I want to see him join the cast of FX’s Justified.

2. I can’t think of any ‘surprise’ Oscar nomination that would please me more than seeing Hawkes get a Supporting Actor nod. Of course, I’d love to see Winter’s Bone and Toy Story 3 run the boards, but I digress…

3. NickF says:

For the first couple of his scenes I knew his face seemed familiar to me. Then I realized that he was the guy from the beginning of Miami Vice. And that he had a 6 or so episode run in Season 6 of Lost, and other smaller roles sprinkled through the years.

He was fantastic in WB. It would be nice if he got a nom, but the push will be focused on Lawrence, and I don’t think he would be angered by that.

When I have time I’ll check out this full interview.

4. Paul MD (Stella's Boy) says:

Don’t forget Deadwood. Hawkes is awesome.

5. Jux says:

He was great in Identity.

6. IOv3 says:

This guy is awesome.

7. hcat says:

Loved how resigned he was to his own impulses. When he leaves at the end of the movie theres no pleading or reasoning, no tear drenched “it doesn’t have to be like this” speech. Just a look from the family knowing he’s likely going to his death. This was such an incredible movie.

And I think the sheriff was a Deadwood alumni as well. The guy who shot Hickock?

8. Paul MD (Stella's Boy) says:

Garret Dillahunt had two roles on Deadwood, Francis Wolcott and Jack McCall.

9. ray vaughan says:

I worked with john on the film Winter’s bone,he was a great help and a hell of a talent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please vote yes for the film Winter’s Bone for best picture! Ray Vaughan

10. KS says:

Great interview!! John is an amazing actor, but what shines thru is his gracious, honest, kind spirit!! He richly deserves the Oscar nom and I hope he gets it!! Couldn’t happen to a better guy – Good luck John!! Hollywood needs more John Hawkes!!

11. office 2010 license key says:

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here. The caricature is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. nevertheless, you command get bought an nervousness over that you want be turning in the following. ill without a doubt come further before again since exactly the same just about very ceaselessly inside case you defend this hike.

DP/30

“I remember very much the iconography and the images and the statues in church were very emotional for me. Just the power of that, and even still — just seeing prayer card, what that image can evoke. I have a lot of friends that are involved in the esoteric, and I know some girls in New York that are also into the supernatural. I don’t feel that I have that gift. But I am leaning towards mysticism… Maybe men are more practical, maybe they don’t give into that as much… And then also, they don’t convene in the same way that women do. But I don’t know, I am not a man, I don’t want to speak for men. For me, I tend to gravitate towards people who are open to those kinds of things. And the idea for my film, White Echo, I guess stemmed from that — I find that the girls in New York are more credible. What is it about the way that they communicate their ideas with the supernatural that I find more credible? And that is where it began. All the characters are also based on friends of mine. I worked with Refinery29 on that film, and found that they really invest in you which is so rare in this industry.”
Chloë Sevigny

“The word I have fallen in love with lately is ‘Hellenic.’ Greek in its mythology. So while everyone is skewing towards the YouTube generation, here we are making two-and-a-half-hour movies and trying to buck the system. It’s become clear to me that we are never going to be a perfect fit with Hollywood; we will always be the renegade Texans running around trying to stir the pot. Really it’s not provocation for the sake of being provocative, but trying to make something that people fall in love with and has staying power. I think people are going to remember Dragged Across Concrete and these other movies decades from now. I do not believe that they will remember some of the stuff that big Hollywood has put out in the last couple of years. You’ve got to look at the independent space to find the movies that have been really special recently. Even though I don’t share the same world-view as some of my colleagues, I certainly respect the hell out of their movies which are way more fascinating than the stuff coming out of the studio system.”
~ Dallas Sonnier