By DP30 david@thehotbuttonl.com

Black Swan, actor Mila Kunis

12 Responses to “Black Swan, actor Mila Kunis”

1. The Pope says:

I can’t believe I’m typing these words while watching Mila Kunis in interview… but nice background! Sincerely, it all works. EVERY THING.

2. LexG says:

Seriously. Was it intentional, or just fortuitous, that the background is identical to the color and production design of the auditorium from the movie?

The usual “look at her!!!” antics go without saying, but KUNIS POWER. Best Supporting Actress nod, please.

3. Peter says:

So LexG, does this mean you have seen Black Swan?

4. sanj says:

this dp/30 reminded me of Eva Mendes dp/30

but you could have spent 5 extra minutes talking about Family Guy / Book of Eli / Forgetting Sarah Marshall and
    a few lesser known films

5. LexG says:

Peter…

That’s affirmative. Portman = best female performance since Hathaway in “Rachel Getting Married”… but Kunis, Hershey and almost especially Cassel should be hearing praises, too.

But, yeah, I was really struck by that grainy black-gray Libatique photography combined with the production design; In a lot of ways it reminded me of the inky, grainy texture of PI, only in color. Interesting that they have the background to match in this interview.

6. sanj says:

DP – Did Mila not want to talk about Family Guy or did you not watch enough episodes of the series to talk about it ..

thousands of clips of Family Guy on Youtube and other
    video sites makes it super popular and something not discussed at all.

7. LexG says:

Sanj’s recurring fascination with the DPs as his personal request line = awesome.

8. Peter says:

So no praise for Winona? I know she is only in 2-3 scenes but she is very effective in those. Right now, Black Swan and Carlos are the best movie in 2010. My immediate reaction after watching Black Swan was: I got to see it again.

9. sanj says:

Its not my personal request line … Family Guy has 18-20
    episodes per season … her voiceover work is just as great as her acting work. Yes i know this interview was for Black Swan but a few minutes talking about voice work would have been nice.

Maybe Mila has to be in a Pixar or Dreamworks film to be considered serious ?

the dp/30 with Dennis Hopper – Dennis spent maybe 5 minutes or more talking about his artwork.

10. Triple Option says:

Well, I’m impressed that your public plea for screening passes worked for you, Lex. For all the times you exclaimed you needed get laid or you would explode, did anyone ever once come through for you? You don’t have to name names or even if the person was an actress or even that attractive, I just want to know if you got people?

I’m not going to ask for anything…yet, but it’s nice to know I may have options.

I don’t know, maybe I don’t. Will anybody hook me up w/anything???

11. Gus says:

Lex your ranting was the highlight of the e-week for me. Plz to be detailing your getting to finally see this thing.

12. LexG says:

Peter: Oh, yeah… Winona rules, too, though her role is smaller than the four I mentioned. That said, LOVED her runny mascara in one scene, AND she gets maybe the movie’s freakiest scene.

DP/30

“The city to me is the only possible vehicle we have to measure human achievement. We’re an urban species now. If you look at Karachi or Mexico City or Hong Kong or London or New York or Yonkers or Baltimore or any of these other places, the pastoral is now a part of human history. We’re either going to figure out how to live together in these increasingly crowded, increasingly multi-cultural population centers or we’re not. We’re either going to get great at this or we’re going to fail as a species.”
~ David Simon

“I wondered how different it would be to write a novel and it’s totally different. It’s very internal. The weird thing about it is that I found that novel-writing was much more like directing than it is like screenwriting. You’re casting it, you’re lighting it, you’re doing the costumes, you’re doing the locations, you’re doing it all yourself as a director would. In screenwriting, you don’t do that stuff. You don’t describe the face of the actor or the character when you’re writing a screenplay because Tom Cruise is going to do it and he doesn’t look like that, whereas in the novel to describe what he is is what he is. The actual act of writing, just like shooting on a set, is a slow slog. It’s going to work every day.”
~ David Cronenberg On Screenplay vs. Novel