MCN Columnists

Anette Bening – The Kids Are All Right
Lesley Manville – Another Year
Nicole Kidman – Rabbit Hole
Sally Hawkins – Made in Dagenham
Hilary Swank – Conviction
Michelle Williams- Blue Valentine
Kimberly Elise – For Colored Girls… Hard to really know who will be the film’s choice for Lead
Rachel McAdams – Morning Glory
Diane Lane – Secretariat
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Actress – Film
Helena Bonham Carter – The King’s Speech
Hailee Steinfeld – True Grit
Miranada Richardson – Made in Dagenham
Sissy Spacek – Get Low
Whoopi Goldberg/Thandie Newton/Kerry Washington – For Colored Girls… Hard to really know who will be the film’schoice for Supporting
Barbara Hershey – Black Swan
Julianne Moore- The Kids Are All Right
Melissa Leo – The Fighter
Elle Fanning – Somewhere
Sandra Oh – Rabbit Hole
Mila Kunis – Black Swan
Chloe Moritz – Let Me In

8 Responses to “Best Actress/Supporting Actress”

1. Rodd Hibbard says:

I really don’y get the respect being given to Shutter Island. I personally think Scorsese is one of the most over-rated directors ever, and found Shutter Island incredibly predictable with gaping holes in the plot.

2. Geoff says:

I think Shutter Island is one of the best of the year, but does it really have any kind of shot, at this point?

It was really successful, no doubt – but, critics were very divided on it and I think Inception’s success has just about killed its chances – DiCaprio is giving similar performances for similar characters, all reviews have compared the two.

Not saying it’s right, because I think both films are deserving. I just think because Inception was much bigger AND got better reviews, it’s going to knock Shutter Island out of the running.

The Social Network is looking more and more like this year’s Quiz Show or The Insider – inside baseball drama that the critics will rave about, but is just not going to make much money. Like them, I’ll bet it gets a lot of nods, but will likely not win any big awards. Though, Sorkin for Best Adapted Screenplay looks pretty strong.

And I am damn curious – is Exit Through the Giftshop even eligible for Best Doc? Does it even have a chance? Fantastic movie.

3. Keil Shults says:

What’s the latest on The Way Back? Will it be in this year’s running?

4. The Pope says:

Geoff,
    I am in agreement with you about The Social Network being more like this year’s Quiz Show or The Insider. I think it is a wonderful film; great fun, brilliantly structured, assuredly directed (Fincher never feels the need to go on a flourish), but overall, I fear that it is too cool (i.e., clinical) for the Academy. It is a brilliant examination and you can see the scholarship all the way through. But (and this is not a criticism), you don’t go through a gamut of emotions. The story is simply not wired that way. The King’s Speech appears to have the subject matter to really grip the Academy on an emotional level.

5. Hopscotch says:

I’m making the early prediction that this will be Annette Bening’s year, like Bridges last year. She’s been nominated many times, done great work (even in fairly terrible movies) and never gotten the statue…I think there will be a tide toward her win this year.

Damn I want to see Get Low.

6. B.Wycke says:

Jeff’s performance last year was deserving of the recognition and win. I just don’t see that with Annette but then again Sandra won over Meryl and I don’t see how that happened based on comparing their performances so it’s anybody’s guess.

7. chris says:

If it truly is faithful to the book and if the trailer’s an indication (and if the “Whale Rider” precendent-breaker of not always putting the kid in supporting, regardless of role size, holds), Hailee S may be more actress than supporting actress.

8. Krillian says:

If I made a list of all the movies of 2010 I’d give thumbs up to, Shutter Island would be one, but it’d be pretty low on the list.

And Hailee’s a kid, so no matter how big her role, they’d submit her for supporting.

~ Hideo Kojima

“They’re still talking about the ‘cathedral of cinema,’ the ‘communal experience,’ blah blah. The experiences I’ve had recently in the theatre have not been good. There’s commercials, noise, cellphones. I was watching Colette at the Varsity, and halfway through red flashes came up at the bottom of the frame. A woman came out and said, ‘We’re going to have to reboot, so take fifteen minutes and come back.’ Then they rebooted it from the beginning, and she had to ask the audience to tell her how far to go. You tell me, is that a great experience? I generally don’t watch movies in a cinema at all. Netflix is the future. It’s the present. But the whole paradigm of a series, binge-watching, it’s quite different. My first reaction is that it’s more novelistic, because if you have an eight-hour season, you can get into complex, intricate things. You can let it breathe and the audience expectations are such that they will let you, where before they wouldn’t have the patience. I think only the surface has been touched with experimenting with that.”
~ David Cronenberg