BYOB: Feeling A Little More At Home?

So… bigger fonts, Recent Comments, a direct link to Hot Blog from anywhere on the site…

Day by day…

17 Responses to “BYOB: Feeling A Little More At Home?”

1. Foamy Squirrel says:

Just a quick note to say the old mcnblogs.com site is still live and kicking – might want to put a redirect page there, as a couple of people are still posting at the Old Blog ™.

2. NickF says:

^ Good point, and the new font size or style is better.

3. Jeff McM says:

I’m finding it difficult, after posting, to find a link to go back to the main blog page, which was very clear and easy to find previously.

4. mutinyco says:

I went to type in foxnews.com to see their headline on Obama’s speech, but I accidentally typed: fixnews…

5. IOv3 says:

Did anyone else notice we got the red border back and now it fades to white? That’s awesome.

Jeff, the link is up there. It’s just mixed in now next to film essent or what not.

6. Jeff McM says:

Yeah, I know it’s up there. What I’m saying is that it’s lost amidst a bunch of clutter, which was not the case previously.

7. Brian says:

You might make it easier to find the RSS feeds also – I had to figure it out for myself.

8. Paul MD (Stella's Boy) says:

Anyone see Takers? Kind of shocked by its opening. Expected Armored-type numbers. Hopefully Idris Elba starts getting better roles soon, though maybe Takers is better than it looks. The review my local paper ran insinuated that it’s similar to but ultimately better than Heat because it’s less ambitious and therefore “more realistic.”

9. Al E Ase says:

I actually laughed out loud

10. Chris says:

Takers is god awful and anyone who compares it to Heat in even a remotely positive way doesn’t know anything about film.

11. EthanG says:

Mr. Poland,

Since your site is re-launching I thought I would dispense with a very brief re-introduction. I’m a 23-year old wannabe film student, actual federal gov. bureaucrat who began reading your site as it launched via a friend’s suggestion. Your site greatly increased my passion for film over the years, and that love was transferred to my boyfriend who via much encouragement graduated from nyu in film studies (at least in a slight part due to you & Sasha at AD over the years) & who currently is a top screenwriter for Marvel on (Exclusive!) rewrites for Thor, as well as the SP for Capt. America &…Ant-Man.
    So….as much as I attack you, and fight with you irrationally Mr. Poland, thank you for providing a compass that’s accurate about 70% of the time over the years to the world of film.

Ethan

12. anghus says:

Yeah, a redirect might be good. I took me 72 hours to realize the blog had moved here. i was like ‘man… no one’s talking right now’

13. EthanG says:

PS…

I am still stunned that Armond White is referred to in this blog. Mr. White repeatedly refers to Mr. George Clooney as “Anti-American” or on an “Anti-American kick” in public appearences. He takes the leap from free speech to McCarthyism quite freely, but is not penalized (in the same article he praises the widely panned Chinese remake of “Blood Simple” for improving on the Coens’ “crapfest”).

14. But is Takers better or worse than LA Takedown?

15. Beat me to it Joe… (was busy writing my Machete review). I have no problem seeing a Perry film as a possible Oscar contender. He’s the only mainstream filmmaker outside of Clint Eastwood who consistently makes adult dramas, and I contend that The Family That Preys would have been a serious contender had it been released in the fall and had Perry been a more respected name at that point. I’m not saying it’s a masterpiece, but it’s a damn good melodrama with several ‘Oscar bait elements’. It’s easily his best, most complicated, and most refreshingly open-ended and downbeat picture.

16. Jeff McM says:

Wow, congrats to Ethan – how does a 23-year-old become a full-fledged bureaucrat and have a relationship with somebody at more-or-less the peak of their career? Let me know so I can travel back in time and make the appropriate life choices.

~ Quentin Tarantino