Dennis Hopper Lives

hopper490.jpg
Why? Why would a nice guy like you want to kill a genius? Feeling pretty good, huh? Why? Do you know that the man really likes you? He likes you. He really likes you. But he’s got something in mind for you. Aren’t you curious about that? I’m curious. I’m very curious. Are you curious? There’s something happening out here, man. You know something, man? I know something you that you don’t know. That’s right, Jack. The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad. Oh, yeah. He’s dying, I think. He hates all this. He hates it! But the man’s a…He reads poetry out loud, all right. And a voice…he likes you because you’re still alive. He’s got plans for you. No, I’m not gonna help you. You’re gonna help him, man. You’re gonna help him. I mean, what are they gonna say when he’s gone? ‘Cause he dies when it dies, when it dies, he dies! What are they gonna say about him? He was a kind man? He was a wise man? He had plans? He had wisdom? Bullshit, man! And am I gonna be the one that’s gonna set them straight? Look at me! Look at me! Wrong! [points to Willard] You!
I can think of no greater tribute to The Man than to hear his words, so here is his DP/30, recorded in his home in Venice, just before Christmas 2008, in connection to the film, Elegy.
(EDIT, 2;43p)
We’re having some server issues. Hopefully, you will not have a problem with them.
Here is the normal DP/30 page with the QT file.
Here is the mp3 of the conversation
And here is the visually inferior Google Video streaming version…

And if you have problems with the rest, here is the URL for another server with the QT video – http://moviecitynews.com/views/dp30/hopper.mov

6 Responses to “Dennis Hopper Lives”

1. Wrecktum says:

When was this recorded?

2. The Pope says:

What an incredibly varied and therefore, rich life. So many different phases with so many deaths (almost literal), but so many changes and rebirths. And thankfully, for an actor, a lot of really, really indelible performances.
    As an aside, has anyone else ever been taken by the tone and drawl Sam Rockwell uses… shut their eyes and thought it was Dennis Hopper?

3. frankbooth says:

Now it’s dark.

4. Joe Leydon says:

My favorite Dennis Hopper line, in River’s Edge:

5. berg says:

my favorite DH line: minus Apoc Now and Blu Vel …. from the otherwise shitty film with Keifer Sutherland …. “I dropped a hit of acid in your drink, but don’t worry I wouldn’t let you trip alone. I took a tab before we got on the train.”

6. leahnz says:

wow, the end of an era. thank you for all the amazing memories and rest in peace, grass-hopper, peace be with you always

~ Robbie Collin