DP/30 – Please Give writer/director Nicole Holofcener

pleasegive490.jpg
mp3 of the interview

8 Responses to “DP/30 – Please Give writer/director Nicole Holofcener”

1. guselephant says:

Thanks for these, FYI, DP30 site still doesn’t work in safari. QT videos don’t load, RSS on the page doesn’t work either.

Odd… just opened in Safari and worked just fine.
    Also, checked on iPad, which is only Safari, and works fine.
    Not sure how to help.

3. Rob says:

She gets marginalized by the critical boys’ club, but I think her movies are better than Noah Baumbach’s and Alexander Payne’s.

4. leahnz says:

tell it like it is, rob
    (i haven’t been able to watch this yet, but i’m a fan of ‘lovely and amazing’ and ‘walking and talking’. it would appear keener is her muse)

5. JTag says:

Rob, I completely agree with you. I hate pulling the whole “if it was directed by a man…” card buuuuuuut, “Walking and Talking” deserves way more respect than it gets.

6. Joe Leydon says:

She looks cute.

7. Rob says:

Actually, I withdraw what I said about the critical boys’ club after reading the NY Times and LA Times reviews.
    Dargis writes as if Holofcener’s movies are about and for women exclusively while Turan says: “No American writer-director has her exact sense of the way some of us live today…Holofcener has always been a piercing and amusing observer of life’s anxieties and discontents, illuminating how we make our way through the tangle of dissatisfactions that confront us at every turn.”
    I would also argue that, from Lovely & Amazing on, she’s dealt with class in a way that American filmmakers almost never do.

8. Blackcloud says:

Her name reminds me of Holofernes. C’mon, I can’t be the only one.

leahnz on: BYOB - RIP The Goldfinch