Amenabar/Weisz/Agora

12 Responses to “Amenabar/Weisz/Agora”

1. Hallick says:

For Socrates, it was hemlock. For the box office, a trailer called “Agora”.
    It is as if Rachel Weisz asked herself this question:”How do I make the people who didn’t like The Brothers Bloom realize just how bad an experience they could have had?”.

2. LexG says:

Whoa… Weisz is cool and all (and a very good actress)… but did somebody actually bankroll what looks to be a 150-million dollar movie with NO male lead that looks like a “strong female” version of KINGDOM OF HEAVEN?
    This could be reach Cutthroat Island levels of major tankage. (So will that Amelia Earhart movie.)

3. Hallick says:

Isn’t this also the movie they run on the 3ABN channel every other night?

4. LexG says:

Hallick: TOTALLY.

5. LYT says:

I really miss Don LaFontaine.

6. Eric says:

Someday I’ll get this movie from Netflix, let it sit by my television for three weeks, then send it back unwatched.

7. martin says:

Looks boringly expensive.

8. They even have character poster sets for this movie (a movie without a distributor, btw). Like… wha? They’ve gone about this movie all wrong, starting with, er, making it (apparently).

9. yancyskancy says:

I’d have liked it about 20% better without all the blackouts. God, that’s gotten old.
    But it’s a trailer. And gone are the days when you could count on somebody to cut together a good trailer, regardless of the movie’s quality.

10. Blackcloud says:

I’m sure the history’s completely fraudulent. Not that anyone will notice, since no one will be watching this thing.

11. leahnz says:

i’ll watch it. because i have a massive girl-crush on rachel, she is the bomb (and luminous from within!)

12. Yancy, have you watch the trailers for old movies? People talk about trailers today giving away too much, but old trailers actually show you the final scenes and the voice overs tell you exactly what will happen!

“What Quibi trying to do is get to the next generation of film narrative. The first generation was movies, and they were principally two-hour stories that were designed to be watched in a single sitting in a movie theater [ED: After formats like the nickelodeon]. The next generation of film narrative was television, principally designed to be watched in one-hour chapters in front of a television set. I believe the third generation of film narrative will be a merging of those two ideas, which is to tell two-hour stories in chapters that are seven to ten minutes in length. We are actually doing long-form in bite-size.”
~ Jeffrey Katzenberg

“The important thing is: what makes the audience interested in it? Of course, I don’t take on any roles that don’t interest me, or where I can’t find anything for myself in it. But I don’t like talking about that. If you go into a restaurant and you have been served an exquisite meal, you don’t need to know how the chef felt, or when he chose the vegetables on the market. I always feel a little like I would pull the rug out from under myself if I were to I speak about the background of my work. My explanations would come into conflict with the reason a movie is made in the first place — for the experience of the audience — and that, I would not want.
~  Christoph Waltz