Need A 2 Minute Scene To Get A Real Feel Here…

29 Responses to “Need A 2 Minute Scene To Get A Real Feel Here…”

1. I think this looks great. The stills hadn’t sold me, but seeing it in motion has done the trick. It helps that claymation is so good and I’m surprised Anderson’s self-contained world molds quite well into the form. Loving Murray’s line reading: “Demolitions expert.”

2. EthanG says:

One of the most terrifying looking movies of the year. The image of the Fox diving into the pool in swim shorts is enough to give me nightmares. But seriously, I know Anderson was going for a retro stop-motion feel here. But what he ends up with LOOKS to me more off-putting to me than Polar Express of Beowulf.
    Also two other complaints:
    *George Clooney as a voice actor is distracting here (you can picture him in the sound-booth smoking a cigar), and his voicework here sounds “off” in relation to the other actors like he was on the phone.
    *Referring to Roald Dahl as “the author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” really ticks me off. Does the studio really think people are too stupid to know who Roald Dahl is??

3. Wrecktum says:

Looks cheap. A lot of close-ups and flat plain animation with little depth of field. Looks and feels nothing like the original story.

4. don lewis (was PetalumaFilms) says:

LOVE the look of this film….you guys are like, tainted by top of the line stop-mo, CGI and animation. Everything Anderson does reflects on his childhood and the animation here reminds me of those old Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer stop-mo’s I loved and still love to this day. I cannot wait to see this…although no matter what, “Where the WIld Things Are” will destroy it at the B.O. I can’t believe they’re putting these out so close together. Someone should bump back a month.
    In fact “Fantastic Mr. Fox” is an ideal Christmas film due to the retro appeal. Adults will be all over this, feeling like they’re reliving their youth.

5. christian says:

How incredible is that old skool stop-motion? It jars folks because it has an individual style, ala Harryhausen or Vinton. And the fur bristles!
    I don’t think WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE and this will be neck in neck — they’re two very different types of child fantasy films that serve very different purposes. If anything WTWA will be the harder sell since it’s keyed at an adult level too.
    But finally, Santa’s Coming Back To Town!

6. jeffmcm says:

Looks charming and fun to me, but what do I know?

7. yancyskancy says:

Looks good to me. But sheesh, if even some of the cinephiles here aren’t on board with the retro look, I dread to think how the great unwashed will react.
    EthanG: Maybe I’m cynical (see “great unwashed” comment above), but I seriously doubt that the average person seeing that trailer has any idea who Roald Dahl is, even if they’ve enjoyed adaptations of his work. I mean, how many Shrek-lovers recognize the name William Steig? But it’s probably more an issue of cultural illiteracy than stupidity.

8. christian says:

They should’ve said, “From Road Dahl, The Screenwriter Of YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE…”

9. yancyskancy says:

Other suggestions: “From Roald Dahl, late ex-husband of Patricia Neal…”
    “From Roald Dahl, former secret agent for MI-6…”
    Or Chucky in Jersey’s choice: “…”

10. EthanG says:

Yeah apparenlty not as many kids grew up with stuff like Matilda, The BFG, James and the Giant Peach etc like me…boo (speaking of which I’m pretty sad that they’re remaking “The Witches,” a twisted kids movie on par with Labyrinth)
    I mean…I’m all for stop-motion that isn’t necesarrily top-notch like “Coraline” and “Wallace and Gromit” as opposed to fusion stuff like Polar Express and Beowulf. But it looks forced here..though that might partly be a reaction to Clooney, the most miscast voice lead in an animated movie in quite awhile…

11. don lewis (was PetalumaFilms) says:

“From Roald Dahl…No, Not RONALD, Roald Comes…”

12. LexG says:

Looks terrible.
    ANYONE who GOES TO SEE THIS should get the DEATH PENALTY via electrodes.
    PERIOD.
    Christ, are you guys all two years old?

13. don lewis (was PetalumaFilms) says:

cue Jeff with a pot, kettle, black in 3…2….1…

14. leahnz says:

wes is marching to the beat of his own drummer and i for one love him dearly for it.
    this looks intriguing, love the old fashioned stop-mo (but clooney’s voice does stick out like a sore thumb for some reason, takes a bit of getting used to…it’s almost as if his voice is out of sync with his fox by about a quarter of a second)

15. Wrecktum says:

If it weren’t for the fact that this is obviously a quirky (i.e. annoying) Wes Anderson vehicle, I’d be on board. But this is Anderson quirk, not the nastly Dahl we all know and love.

16. jeffmcm says:

Sorry to disappoint you, Don, I now work in an office without internet access.
    I just guess I wish that there was some kind of cap – if you post ten or more suicide notes per month then maybe you shouldn’t get to criticize anything anyone ever does, perhaps?

17. IOIOIOI says:

Wes is the man, this trailer looks fantastic, and I have something to do this Thanksgiving besides eating shrimp. WINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!

18. Chucky in Jersey says:

EthanG is right on. Gimme a shotgun and an M-16 and this LOSER will be done away with when the obligatory name-checking is carried out.

19. leahnz says:

i’d be scared to dig in the crawlspace under your house in jersey, chucky

20. jeffmcm says:

Chucky once murdered a movie just to watch it die.

21. leahnz says:

you know, going by a couple of these recent posts, i think chucky has a bit of a thing for ethanG
    ethanG: be afraid. be very afraid

22. LexG says:

Chucky:
    Props on the new “LOSER” in caps shtick.
    Thumbs-up!

23. I hope Lex goes to see this movie.
    (oh that was perhaps too harsh.)

24. IOIOIOI says:

Lex’ hatred of animation always makes me giggle for some reason. It’s so asinine, but it does some the guy up. He’s no fun. Only someone without zero whimsy could hate on animation, and Mr. Suicide seems to be that guy.

25. IOIOIOI says:

God. This week is finally getting to my posting. Not enough sleep, but fuck it! I’LL DO IT LIVE!
    He lacks whimsy, he’s Mr. Suicide, and that sums him up rather well.

26. don lewis (was PetalumaFilms) says:

Wreck-like all the cheerfully done death scenes in Wes’s last 2 films??? I just rewatched “Life Aquatic” and man, that Ned death scene KILLS a perfectly awesome movie.
    And Jeff….you know I’m just screwing with ya….

27. IOIOIOI says:

Ned’s not dead. He’s on look-out on top of the boat. Easily one of my favourite touches of that Buckaroo Banzai ending. If Cowboy is not dead in Buckaroo Banzai. NEITHER IS NED! He’s just else where like Charlie Pace.

28. Hallick says:

“Loving Murray’s line reading: “Demolitions expert.”
    I can’t stop replaying that line! Two words delivered with total perfection.

29. Cadavra says:

“Does the studio really think people are too stupid to know who Roald Dahl is??”
    My dental hygienist, who is 26, has never heard of Frank Sinatra, Bela Lugosi, Charlie Chan or a grasshopper (meaning the cocktail). Yeah, I’d say the studio is correct on this one.

Julian Schnabel: Years ago, I was down there with my cousin’s wife Corky. She was wild — she wore makeup on her legs, and she had a streak in her hair like Yvonne De Carlo in “The Munsters.” She liked to paint. I had overalls on with just a T-shirt and looked like whatever. We were trying to buy a bunch of supplies with my cousin Jesse’s credit card. They looked at the credit card, and then they looked at us and thought maybe we stole the card, so they called Jesse up. He was a doctor who became the head of trauma at St. Vincent’s. They said, “There’s somebody here with this credit card and we want to know if it belongs to you.”

He said, “Well, does the woman have dyed blonde hair and fake eyelashes and look like she stepped out of the backstage of some kind of silent movie, and is she with some guy who has wild hair and is kind of dressed like a bum?”

“Yeah, that’s them.”

“Yeah, that’s my cousin and my wife. It’s okay, they can charge it on my card.”
~ Julian Schnabel Remembers NYC’s Now-Shuttered Pearl Paint

MB Cool. I was really interested in the aerial photography from Enter the Void and how one could understand that conceptually as a POV, while in fact it’s more of an objective view of the city where the story takes place. So it’s an objective and subjective camera at the same time. I know that you’re interested in Kubrick. We’ve talked about that in the past because it’s something that you and I have in common—

GN You’re obsessed with Kubrick, too.

MB Does he still occupy your mind or was he more of an early influence?

GN He was more of an early influence. Kubrick has been my idol my whole life, my own “god.” I was six or seven years old when I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey, and I never felt such cinematic ecstasy. Maybe that’s what brought me to direct movies, to try to compete with that “wizard of Oz” behind the film. So then, years later, I tried to do something in that direction, like many other directors tried to do their own, you know, homage or remake or parody or whatever of 2001. I don’t know if you ever had that movie in mind for your own projects. But in my case, I don’t think about 2001 anymore now. That film was my first “trip” ever. And then I tried my best to reproduce on screen what some drug trips are like. But it’s very hard. For sure, moving images are a better medium than words, but it’s still very far from the real experience. I read that Kubrick said about Lynch’s Eraserhead, that he wished he had made that movie because it was the film he had seen that came closest to the language of nightmares.

Matthew Barney and Gaspar Noé