Isn't It Enough…

… that CNN Is going wall to wall with Michael Jackson coverage… which I almost understand. I mean, we’ve been here before with the world-changing Anna Nicole Smith saga… so at least this guy actually added something other than tits to the culture.
But do they need to keep claiming that every word that falls out of anyone’s mouth is “BREAKING NEWS?”
I’m pretty sure that live footage of American troops invading Iraq is Breaking News. I’m pretty sure that a newly announced Supreme Court ruling is Breaking News. I’m pretty sure that there may be some breaking news in a presidential press conference, though not always. But people – mostly ghouls and leeches – speculating about a dead superstar without any new news breaking for many hours… not.

11 Responses to “Isn't It Enough…”

1. Blackcloud says:

Surely it was the first time the BET Awards were ever “breaking news.”

2. christian says:

How about American troops leaving Iraq to fireworks? That’s news.

3. Crow T Robot says:

Come now, Dave… to our silly media, Michael Jackson dying suddenly is akin to… oh I don’t know… MICHAEL JACKSON DYING SUDDENLY.
    Let the vultures, led by that Sollozzo looking motherfucker Harvey Levin, dine.
    Just for godsakes don’t think that you dining on them dining somehow puts you above it.

4. Agreed, now that EVERYONE already knows Jacko is dead, the “breaking news” alert is just un-necessary and over the top. I understand the huge coverage on Jacko’s death, he was the King of Pop after all and I was sad when I heard the news. I never gave a shit about Anna Nicole Smith and I still don’t.
    Nobody really wants to read about the war in Iraq or that troops are withdrawing. as kids would say, “That’s so 2005.”

5. Wrecktum says:

Wait, what’s wrong with tits?

6. doug r says:

Breaking News:
    Michael Jackson Is Still Dead.

7. jeffmcm says:

Doesn’t CNN label every story that it runs, on a very regular basis, as “BREAKING NEWS!!!”? I mean, I know Fox News has been doing this for a long time, and it’s bad journalism for sure, but I figured CNN had begin to follow in those footsteps.

8. Boonwell says:

Don’t we all die “suddenly?” One second you’re alive and the next you’re dead. MJ died unexpectedly. Sorry, Crow — pet peeve.

9. Martin S says:

It is the FNC shtick. Sucked in ’02, sucks now.

10. christian says:

At least we know FOX is a right-wing news org.
    CNN just flops around like a dying fish.

11. Chucky in Jersey says:

Meanwhile there was a coup d’etat in Honduras where the junta learned a few lessons from Today’s Army … but you wouldn’t know about it if you get all your news from TV.

“I remember very much the iconography and the images and the statues in church were very emotional for me. Just the power of that, and even still — just seeing prayer card, what that image can evoke. I have a lot of friends that are involved in the esoteric, and I know some girls in New York that are also into the supernatural. I don’t feel that I have that gift. But I am leaning towards mysticism… Maybe men are more practical, maybe they don’t give into that as much… And then also, they don’t convene in the same way that women do. But I don’t know, I am not a man, I don’t want to speak for men. For me, I tend to gravitate towards people who are open to those kinds of things. And the idea for my film, White Echo, I guess stemmed from that — I find that the girls in New York are more credible. What is it about the way that they communicate their ideas with the supernatural that I find more credible? And that is where it began. All the characters are also based on friends of mine. I worked with Refinery29 on that film, and found that they really invest in you which is so rare in this industry.”
Chloë Sevigny

“The word I have fallen in love with lately is ‘Hellenic.’ Greek in its mythology. So while everyone is skewing towards the YouTube generation, here we are making two-and-a-half-hour movies and trying to buck the system. It’s become clear to me that we are never going to be a perfect fit with Hollywood; we will always be the renegade Texans running around trying to stir the pot. Really it’s not provocation for the sake of being provocative, but trying to make something that people fall in love with and has staying power. I think people are going to remember Dragged Across Concrete and these other movies decades from now. I do not believe that they will remember some of the stuff that big Hollywood has put out in the last couple of years. You’ve got to look at the independent space to find the movies that have been really special recently. Even though I don’t share the same world-view as some of my colleagues, I certainly respect the hell out of their movies which are way more fascinating than the stuff coming out of the studio system.”
~ Dallas Sonnier