I Meant To Say…

One of the major, unique assets that Up has a a leggy summer event is that I expect it to be the strongest animated film since Finding Nemo – maybe bigger – with grandparents looking to share a movie with their grandkids… because of the grandparent/child relationship in the film.
If I were Disney, I’d be working on a Labor Day re-release strategy now, along with emphasizing all other holidays when the grandparents get control of the “what are we doing today” button.

6 Responses to “I Meant To Say…”

1. Boink says:

I understand what you mean here, and it’s a valid thing, but there are no grandparents in this movie. Neither of the older men are even parents. It’s a big chunk of what makes the character’s journey all the more moving. ALONENESS.

2. lazarus says:

DIsney presents Up, back in theatres for Labor Day!
    “See it with a grandparent–while you still can”
    “Make the last film you see with your grandparents a special one”

Backwards… “share the adventure with your goofy little scout… and teach them about life too boot”

4. Chucky in Jersey says:

A Labor Day re-release won’t cut it. Kids are back in school in most states before then. Older audiences want arty and upmarket fare, recession permitting.

5. jeffmcm says:

“Older audiences want arty and upmarket fare”
    Is that Iron Law of Marketing #3?

6. Blackcloud says:

And to think I was laboring under the delusion that Pixar movies were arty and upmarket. What ever gave me that ridiculous notion?

Box Office

“What Quibi trying to do is get to the next generation of film narrative. The first generation was movies, and they were principally two-hour stories that were designed to be watched in a single sitting in a movie theater [ED: After formats like the nickelodeon]. The next generation of film narrative was television, principally designed to be watched in one-hour chapters in front of a television set. I believe the third generation of film narrative will be a merging of those two ideas, which is to tell two-hour stories in chapters that are seven to ten minutes in length. We are actually doing long-form in bite-size.”
~ Jeffrey Katzenberg

“The important thing is: what makes the audience interested in it? Of course, I don’t take on any roles that don’t interest me, or where I can’t find anything for myself in it. But I don’t like talking about that. If you go into a restaurant and you have been served an exquisite meal, you don’t need to know how the chef felt, or when he chose the vegetables on the market. I always feel a little like I would pull the rug out from under myself if I were to I speak about the background of my work. My explanations would come into conflict with the reason a movie is made in the first place — for the experience of the audience — and that, I would not want.
~  Christoph Waltz