I Meant To Say…

One of the major, unique assets that Up has a a leggy summer event is that I expect it to be the strongest animated film since Finding Nemo – maybe bigger – with grandparents looking to share a movie with their grandkids… because of the grandparent/child relationship in the film.
If I were Disney, I’d be working on a Labor Day re-release strategy now, along with emphasizing all other holidays when the grandparents get control of the “what are we doing today” button.

6 Responses to “I Meant To Say…”

1. Boink says:

I understand what you mean here, and it’s a valid thing, but there are no grandparents in this movie. Neither of the older men are even parents. It’s a big chunk of what makes the character’s journey all the more moving. ALONENESS.

2. lazarus says:

DIsney presents Up, back in theatres for Labor Day!
    “See it with a grandparent–while you still can”
    “Make the last film you see with your grandparents a special one”

Backwards… “share the adventure with your goofy little scout… and teach them about life too boot”

4. Chucky in Jersey says:

A Labor Day re-release won’t cut it. Kids are back in school in most states before then. Older audiences want arty and upmarket fare, recession permitting.

5. jeffmcm says:

“Older audiences want arty and upmarket fare”
    Is that Iron Law of Marketing #3?

6. Blackcloud says:

And to think I was laboring under the delusion that Pixar movies were arty and upmarket. What ever gave me that ridiculous notion?

Box Office

~ Hideo Kojima

“They’re still talking about the ‘cathedral of cinema,’ the ‘communal experience,’ blah blah. The experiences I’ve had recently in the theatre have not been good. There’s commercials, noise, cellphones. I was watching Colette at the Varsity, and halfway through red flashes came up at the bottom of the frame. A woman came out and said, ‘We’re going to have to reboot, so take fifteen minutes and come back.’ Then they rebooted it from the beginning, and she had to ask the audience to tell her how far to go. You tell me, is that a great experience? I generally don’t watch movies in a cinema at all. Netflix is the future. It’s the present. But the whole paradigm of a series, binge-watching, it’s quite different. My first reaction is that it’s more novelistic, because if you have an eight-hour season, you can get into complex, intricate things. You can let it breathe and the audience expectations are such that they will let you, where before they wouldn’t have the patience. I think only the surface has been touched with experimenting with that.”
~ David Cronenberg