Box Office Hell goes Up

bohellup2.png
Based on east coast matinees, C. Nikki Finke and her keepers have already projected ‘Up’ For $17M Friday, $55M Weekend; ‘Drag Me To Hell’ $7M/$18M.
Perhaps I should not point out that, even if we assumed that the Friday guess should be taken seriously after so small a sample, that the opening non-summer weekend for Monsters vs Aliens was $16.8m and the weekend was $59.3m (3.5x Friday), aka Up is a a guess of a bigger Friday and smaller weekend.
I have no idea what standard whoever gave these guesses to La Finke is using, as it doesn’t correlate to Madagascar (3.4x Friday), Cars (3.1x Friday), Ratatouille (2.8x Friday), Kung Fu Panda (3x Friday) or the aforementioned mva.
3.2x Friday… interesting…
(EDIT, 6:42p – first chart posted did not include Drag Me To Hell… fixed now.)

21 Responses to “Box Office Hell goes Up”

1. Wrecktum says:

Finke’s numbers on Up are accurate. The only wild-card is how much the 3D upcharge most theaters are charging will affect the final weekend gross.

Can’t be accurate… the numbers haven’t happened yet… even to be estimated.
    But could end up being an accurate guess.

3. messiahcomplexio says:

no predictions for “Drag me to Hell” from the “Road to box office Hell?”

Oy. Sorry… just assumed that whatever had been gathered had been well gathered… fixing…

5. anghus says:

Remember when Ellen Page was supposed to do Drag Me To Hell?
    She’s kind of vanished after the massive amount of goodwill she got for Juno.
    I think an 18 million dollar opening would have served her well right about now.

6. Wrecktum says:

“Can’t be accurate… the numbers haven’t happened yet… even to be estimated.”
    Sorry, Mr. Pedantic, I meant that Finke’s numbers accurately reflect studio estimates based on Friday matinee EDI grosses.

7. Joe Leydon says:

Excuse me, Wrecktum, but I am Mr. Pendantic… aka, Mr. CF. David is, at best, Mr. Persnickety.

8. the keoki says:

That “estimate” looks waaaaay too small. My wife and son went at 4:30 and said they were, sold out for the evening. Add to that a HUGE Sat jump and good word of mouth. Finke is wrongo!

9. anghus says:

I can’t remember if Finke hates Pixar or Dreamworks Animation.
    Or does she hate both?

10. Blackcloud says:

Ken Loach, leftwing moron. Who’d have guessed?

11. chris says:

Didn’t Page bail on “Drag Me” to do the Drew Barrymore roller derby film instead? And she’s in the next Christopher Nolan and an interesting-sounding indie thriller. I think she might be OK.

12. Whip It features Juliette bloody Lewis! Hence, was a better choice than Drag Me to Hell. Man, I miss Juliette Lewis so much.
    Salvation‘s drop? than Wolverine?

13. mutinyco says:

Seems her predicted numbers were wrong. Her Friday PM stats upped up to $19M for 1st day and $60M for the weekend.

14. What? Finke’s insanely early estimates were inaccurate? No!
    I’m guessing they will be revised upwards at least once more before the official estimates come out.

15. Chucky in Jersey says:

If “Up” is selling out it’s most likely in a 3D hall. Disney is pushing the 3D version bigtime — newspaper ads in NYC tell where the 3D version is playing.

16. mutinyco says:

Just to note. But, the 3D version IS the movie. Up was created in 3D to be projected in 3D. The 2D version only exists because there aren’t enough theaters equipped to project it properly.

17. martin says:

It’s aimed at 10 year olds. It could be in holographic 3D with smellovision and you’d still have to pay me to see it.

18. matro says:

Isn’t that normally going to be the case for 3D movies though? At least ones that were shot specifically for 3D? I caught a bit of Journey to the Center of the Earth on cable the other day and couldn’t believe how cheap it looked; you could’ve told me it was a Sci-Fi original and I wouldn’t have been surprised, despite an alleged 60 million dollar budget.

19. mutinyco says:

And now it’s a $21.4M Friday for a $65M weekend…

20. NickF says:

That’s a good number for Up. Drag Me To Hell’s number is disappointing, but if the movie is as good as reviewers state, it should have a nice little run with some decent WOM.

It completely slipped my mind that one of the DWAers is one of town’s top Nikki Handlers. The early Friday numbers surely came from her.
    And funny, Mut… I didn’t see the later Friday updates… both entries are GONE now.

Box Office

“We don’t have any idea what the universe is. Wise people have always told us that this is proof you shouldn’t think, because thinking leads you nowhere. You just build over this huge construction of misunderstanding, which is culture. The history of culture is the history of the misunderstandings of great thinkers. So we always have to go back to zero and begin differently. And maybe in that way you have a chance not to understand but at least not to have further misunderstandings. Because this is the other side of this question—Am I really so brave to cancel all human culture? To stop admiring the beauty in human production? It’s very difficult to say no.”
~ László Krasznahorkai

“I have a license to carry in New York. Can you believe that? Nobody knows that, [Applause] somebody attacks, somebody attacks me, oh, they’re gonna be shot. Can you imagine? Somebody says, oh, it is Trump, he’s easy pickings what do you say? Right? Oh, boy. What was the famous movie? No. Remember, no remember where he went around and he sort of after his wife was hurt so badly and kill. What?  I — Honestly, Yeah, right, it’s true, but you have many of them. Famous movie. Somebody. You have many of them. Charles Bronson right the late great Charles Bronson name of the movie come on.  , remember that? Ah, we’re gonna cut you up, sir, we’re gonna cut you up, uh-huh.

Bing!

One of the great movies. Charles Bronson, great, Charles Bronson. Great movies. Today you can’t make that movie because it’s not politically correct, right? It’s not politically correct. But could you imagine with Trump? Somebody says, oh, all these big monsters aren’t around he’s easy pickings and then shoot.”
~ Donald Trump