The Oscar Ratings…

Up in overnights… we’ll see what the finals are.
Still… irrelevant to the issue of whether the show worked.
Very relevant as to whether the producers this year created, with The Academy, a sense of anticipation that has been missing in recent years.
I wish the ratings obsession and the shallow reporting on it would disappear.

21 Responses to “The Oscar Ratings…”

1. Joe Leydon says:

Yeah, David, but you have to admit: If there hadn’t been a slight ratings spike this year, we’d be hearing a whole hell of a lot more screeching from Dark Knight fanatics about… well, you know. And just think: We’ve been saved from that. Think of it as a mitzvah from Nielsen. Life is good. God is kind.

The fact, Joe, that we indulge the idiocy of that is what is wrong with so many of us in the media right now.
    This is why I keep braying about Nikki.
    It’s not a story because it is not factual, thoughtful thinking… not because circumstance made it not a story.
    This is how the lies get perpetuated for years.

3. Blackcloud says:

There was no where to go but up, right? The Oscars clawed back the ground they’d lost. The question is whether they’ll hold onto it. Until then, this isn’t anything to write home about. Simply akin to driving the enemy back from the last fifty feet they conquered. Call me when you’ve reconquered France.

4. IHeartThatCurtis! says:

Joe: if the Dark Knight had gotten there. Everything would have been up more then six lousy percent in the overnights. If you really think these Oscars went up, when Nascar ran right up to the only award people wanted to see last night. Well, really, I’ve got a pair of super expensive nikes for you. Air 1985s! Wooo!!!
    Please explain to me the sense of anticipation? Outside of my fool-hearty nature in believe that the Academy are never so predictable. Please point out where the anticipation was in this event? Everyone got all hot and bothered over Crash ’09, we knew this before the nominations, and we knew it would win like a week after.
    So please explain to me what was so exciting last night? Heck. The Academy could not even get the Mickey Rourke story right. Would that not be anti-climatic? Sure does seem like it.

5. LYT says:

Is obsession with ratings substantially different from obsession with box-office grosses?
    I realize it’s not an exact analogy, but both are the standards, in their respective mediums, by which something is determined to have “won” the day.
    Or am I missing something?

6. MDOC says:

7. IHeartThatCurtis! says:

If only we had Wolverine appear on that stage. It would have at least been interesting, and involved wick ass mutton chops!

8. IHeartThatCurtis! says:

Third lowest in history. It was a nice try Academy, but you must bring back MC KEYS! There was no show this decade better than the first one of the decade. Go back to the beginning, and everything should be fine.

9. Joe Leydon says:

Is the glass half-empty, or half-full? Well, the ratings were up, not down. Trust me: That’s a good sign. Just ask the producers of 24 and Lost.

10. IHeartThatCurtis! says:

Joe: they played to their core audience of women and gay men. No; it does not make you gay if you like it, but they still played to a core audience. Which is cool and all, but the medium of film is driven by the cash of men to varying degrees. So you have to give a reason for the hetero men out there to watch this show, and this year’s show possibly did not work for many hetero men. It didn’t work for me, and I love a good show tune.
    So I hope this leads to the Academy going back to the drawing board, re imagining the show again, and bringing back MC KEYS or an MC for that matter. I swear to goodness, that 2000 broadcast was enthralling. It had great music, it moved at a pretty decent clip, and did not feature a “WE SAY YOUR NAME” moment with the acting noms. Go back there for the gods sake, and see if you can make a show that’s HIP FOR EVERYONE!

11. leahnz says:

blame canada
    oh curse you and the horse you rode in on, ioiheart, but when you’re right you’re right…the 2000 oscars were killer: killer flicks, killer noms, killer actors, killer songs
    and speaking of killer flicks and songs from that telecast – arguably the last great one – here is a musical interlude from a terrific movie and one of my all-time fave noms:

12. LexG says:

NEXT YEAR WHEN LEXG HOSTS, the RATINGS WILL QUINTUPLE.
    FUCKING MAKE IT HAPPEN. THAT’S AN ORDER.
    I will be MORE FAMOUS THAN EVERY MOTHERFUCK IN THAT ROOM NEXT FEBRUARY.
    You can either get on the FUCKING BUS or not. Up to you.

13. Leah, what did you think of Hugh’s New Zealand joke? I actually thought of you as I was laughing my arse off. :/
    “I’m watching these painful song and dance numbers and I’m thinking “who is this targeted towards?” Women over 60? Gay Men? I would rather see Jackman as Wolverine in a mock up fight with the human toad character than prancing around with a top hat.”
    Perhaps not women over 60, but definitely not teenage boys who would be the only ones not laughing out of the utter stupidity of all.
    But, really, how many Dark Knight fans would have watched the Oscars if it was nominated for Best Picture. REALLY. I would imagine that most would know it didn’t have a hope in hell of winning and wouldn’t bother watching.
    Lex, would it help if someone cast you in a show where you got run over by a bus? I’d probably watch that and you’d finally get your screen time.

14. that bit with “utter stupidity of it all” was meant to continue with “of having a silly mock fight on stage at the Oscars.” etc.

15. Joe Leydon says:

According to the NYT, the ratings spike may have been even higher than initially reported. Bood news/bad news: “Ratings for the 81st Annual Academy Awards on Sunday night were up significantly over last year

16. Filipe says:

Also, it’s worth to point out the increase came ina year in which everything on TV is down in ratings by a decent margin.

17. leahnz says:

kam, i missed the enzed joke, i must have been distracted or not listening properly, what part of the show was it in? go on then, tell it to me, i think i’ve heard ’em all but you never know!

18. IHeartThatCurtis! says:

Thanks leah. That aside; the ratings were not horrible. They were not last year, but this show is steal losing audience, and has been for close to 11 years. There has to be a way to get everyone hyped. Right?
    I ask because outside of a BEST ACTION FILM of the year award. It seems the Academy really loves ignoring the movie-going public for films they like. That’s all fine and good, but where’s the fun in that?

19. christian says:

IHeart, stick with the MTV Movie Awards. It’s exactly what you’ve been crying out for.

20. Cadavra says:

“It seems the Academy really loves ignoring the movie-going public for films they like.”
    It would be more correct to say the movie-going public ignores quality films in favor of mouth-breathing crap. Wasn’t always the case.

21. IO, I doubt the Oscars will ever get back to the astronomical heights they were reaching as recently as 1998. It’s just the way people watch their programming these days. And, let’s face it, it’s not that hard these days to jump on the internet to see a) who won and b) what people wore. There’s less a fascination of seeing celebs looking hot and more of a fascination of seeing them flash their bits by accident when they go to get coffee.
    And, as I already asked and yet you conveniently didn’t answer because you probably know there’s no answer that’ll fit your opinion, would Dark Knight fans have really truly honestly have sat through a three hour plus telecast just to see it lose (which every single person watching would have been able to guess, even if Slumdog hadn’t steamrolled throughout the season.)

leahnz on: Weekend BYOING

leahnz on: Trailering CATS (2019) (Tugger warning)

Sideshow Bill on: Weekend BYOING

palmtree on: Weekend BYOING

movieman on: Seen anything TWICE at theaters this year?

movieman on: Weekend BYOING

Sideshow Bill on: Weekend BYOING

G Spot 3000 on: State of The Industry: Feb 2019

movieman on: Weekend BYOING

Sideshow Bill on: Weekend BYOING

“I remember very much the iconography and the images and the statues in church were very emotional for me. Just the power of that, and even still — just seeing prayer card, what that image can evoke. I have a lot of friends that are involved in the esoteric, and I know some girls in New York that are also into the supernatural. I don’t feel that I have that gift. But I am leaning towards mysticism… Maybe men are more practical, maybe they don’t give into that as much… And then also, they don’t convene in the same way that women do. But I don’t know, I am not a man, I don’t want to speak for men. For me, I tend to gravitate towards people who are open to those kinds of things. And the idea for my film, White Echo, I guess stemmed from that — I find that the girls in New York are more credible. What is it about the way that they communicate their ideas with the supernatural that I find more credible? And that is where it began. All the characters are also based on friends of mine. I worked with Refinery29 on that film, and found that they really invest in you which is so rare in this industry.”
Chloë Sevigny

“The word I have fallen in love with lately is ‘Hellenic.’ Greek in its mythology. So while everyone is skewing towards the YouTube generation, here we are making two-and-a-half-hour movies and trying to buck the system. It’s become clear to me that we are never going to be a perfect fit with Hollywood; we will always be the renegade Texans running around trying to stir the pot. Really it’s not provocation for the sake of being provocative, but trying to make something that people fall in love with and has staying power. I think people are going to remember Dragged Across Concrete and these other movies decades from now. I do not believe that they will remember some of the stuff that big Hollywood has put out in the last couple of years. You’ve got to look at the independent space to find the movies that have been really special recently. Even though I don’t share the same world-view as some of my colleagues, I certainly respect the hell out of their movies which are way more fascinating than the stuff coming out of the studio system.”
~ Dallas Sonnier