Images From A Season

fincherbafta.jpg
I was really struck by a quick reaction shot of David Fincher at BAFTA yesterday… his face seemed to say it all… “how did we become an also-ran?”…
Thing is, Fincher and everyone at Paramount has been nothing but gracious as the year that was supposed to be theirs became the Year of the ‘Dog. In the end, there is nothing more (or less) that they could have done. In the end, in this year as in almost every other one, it is the movies that guide the awards’ final destination. And for all the magnificent craft of BB, it seems the awards world’s heart belongs to Danny.
Sigh…

12 Responses to “Images From A Season”

1. I do like David Fincher as a film director and I loved The Curious CAse of BB, but I truly believe that Danny Boyle and Slumdog deserve the wins.
    Maybe next time, eh, Finch?

2. chris says:

Something tells me David Fincher doesn’t lose much sleep over lost awards.

3. Krazy Eyes says:

Both excellent (and under appreciated as far as awards do) directors so I’m happy that they seem to be the front runners this year. Now if someone like Ron Howard or Daldry sneak a win I’ll be really disappointed with the Academy.

4. mutinyco says:

Do you have a screen cap from the close-up of PTA when Alan Ball won the screenplay Oscar for American Beauty?…

5. Hopscotch says:

It’s so funny you mention that mutinyco, I remember that reaction shot very well. And as much as I admire PTA as a filmmaker, that reaction was uncalled for. What a brat.
    I’ve got no sympathy for Fincher, pass the violin.

6. christian says:

Yes, it must really hurt Fincher to have a hit film with multiple nominations. He looks crushed. Not.

7. The Pope says:

While it is always nice to win awards, I sincerely doubt that a win (or otherwise) will have that much effect on their careers. I think both Fincher and Boyle are wise enough and talented enough to withstand the shocking thrill of winning. I reckon they will continue on doing what they have been doing.

8. leahnz says:

david poland, may i ask: how do you figure this is ‘the year that was supposed to be theirs [fincher/ben button’s]’? where does that sense of entitlement – if indeed it exists – come from? (because the academy messed up so badly snubbing ‘zodiac’ that fincher and co. figure they will want to have make-up sex?)
    also, i don’t see a ‘how did we become also-rans?’ expression on fincher’s face, i see: ‘sigh. yep, alrighty then (checks watch, turns to the others), what time is our flight out?’
    ‘slumdog’ is a uk production made by a beloved english director, written by an englishman with an english star and a largely uk crew, filmed in a former stronghold of the british empire…would fincher honestly go to merry ol’ england thinking ‘button’ had a snowball’s chance in hell of pulling off the upset over the homegrown juggernaut at the british academy awards? i would think not (and the american acacemy might give it to him now just to thumb its collective nose at the former redcoat rulers – ha, we’ll show them! taxation without representation my ass)

The sense of entitlement happens in more than one place every year… one by one, the expectations narrow into disappointments.
    Button was the BIG movie with the GREAT director and STAR whose time had come and the mighty dragon has been slayed by a little film that one studio didn

10. leahnz says:

gotcha, dp, thanks for the reply (i guess boyle isn’t nearly as beloved by BAFTA members as he is by the british public at large, tho i suppose one could argue that he hasn’t really directed any ‘awards bait’-type films since ‘trainspotting’ – with the exception of ‘millions’ perhaps – for which to be BAFTA nom’d, ’28 days’ being too ‘the-end-is-extremely-fucking-nigh’ horror genre for fancy-pants awards taste even just for best direction, which i personally think it deserved)

11. yancyskancy says:

I don’t recall seeing PTA’s reaction to losing the screenplay award to Ball, but if he thought he had a shot of beating the Best Pic favorite in that category — well, he was the only one. Not talking quality here, just reality.

12. Roman says:

“But the underdog status of Button is not because it

“We don’t have any idea what the universe is. Wise people have always told us that this is proof you shouldn’t think, because thinking leads you nowhere. You just build over this huge construction of misunderstanding, which is culture. The history of culture is the history of the misunderstandings of great thinkers. So we always have to go back to zero and begin differently. And maybe in that way you have a chance not to understand but at least not to have further misunderstandings. Because this is the other side of this question—Am I really so brave to cancel all human culture? To stop admiring the beauty in human production? It’s very difficult to say no.”
~ László Krasznahorkai

“I have a license to carry in New York. Can you believe that? Nobody knows that, [Applause] somebody attacks, somebody attacks me, oh, they’re gonna be shot. Can you imagine? Somebody says, oh, it is Trump, he’s easy pickings what do you say? Right? Oh, boy. What was the famous movie? No. Remember, no remember where he went around and he sort of after his wife was hurt so badly and kill. What?  I — Honestly, Yeah, right, it’s true, but you have many of them. Famous movie. Somebody. You have many of them. Charles Bronson right the late great Charles Bronson name of the movie come on.  , remember that? Ah, we’re gonna cut you up, sir, we’re gonna cut you up, uh-huh.

Bing!

One of the great movies. Charles Bronson, great, Charles Bronson. Great movies. Today you can’t make that movie because it’s not politically correct, right? It’s not politically correct. But could you imagine with Trump? Somebody says, oh, all these big monsters aren’t around he’s easy pickings and then shoot.”
~ Donald Trump