BYOB – Catching Up…

The days after the Oscar season end feel a bit like the first days getting back to school after months of summer vacation… waking up on a different schedule… new people, many familiar, but different… work to do but somehow, not as quick to get out the pen… even the feeding schedule (and the food itself) is different.
It’s a hangover, but not unpleasant that same way. Just an “Oh yeah… there is something else other than the Oscars and Watchmen going on….”
Then there is the real downside

12 Responses to “BYOB – Catching Up…”

1. christian says:

Hey, how about that President Obama last night?
    The GOP is officially dead.

2. Blackcloud says:

Just like the Democrats were November 3, 2004, right?

3. Triple Option says:

Any thoughts on Chernin leaving Newscorp? Good for Fox? Bad for Fox? Will things be better from the creative end? More accommodating to artists’ visions? Will things continue as before?
    I heard the guy has a G-4. Is that his or a company jet? Think he’ll rent it out for small jaunts down to Ensenada?

4. christian says:

Who said the Democrats were dead on 11.3.2004? Bush barely won re-election. That led to the Republican ouster in 2006, followed by 2009. ALIVE!
    THIS parrot is bleedin’ dead, Jim.

5. LYT says:

Seems the embargo on Watchmen reviews has been lifted, probably because Harry Knowles made a big fuss about it.
    So far, sounds pretty good.

6. IHeartThatCurtis! says:

Or Devin made a big fuss. I do love how it could not give a film a 10 out of 10. THINK IT OVER FARCI! GIVE IT A 10! DON’T LET IT GO DOWN THERE WITHOUT A 10!

7. Chucky in Jersey says:

Speaking of News Corp., Liz Smith is gone from the NY Post for budget reasons.
    No great loss — she had long been a media whore for Michael Jackson and Harvey Weinstein. Maybe she can become Harvey’s in-house PR flack so she can explain away why he buys awards yet can’t run a moneymaking business.

8. LexG says:

That speech last night was boring, just like all his boring, no-charisma speeches. Duller than Carter.
    Will any of this “stimulus” shit result in me getting a $600 check like THE GREATEST PRESIDENT EVER sent out?
    Basically I’m just pissed that that bore-fest pre-empted American Idol.

9. Hallick says:

“Will any of this ‘stimulus’ shit result in me getting a $600 check like THE GREATEST PRESIDENT EVER sent out?
    Basically I’m just pissed that that bore-fest pre-empted American Idol.”
    Wow! Thanks for pretty much summing up every attitude that put the country in the crapper in the first place! Greatest LexG post EVER!

10. IHeartThatCurtis! says:

Lex G: HE’S A REPUBLICAN AND PROUD OF IT! Poor dumb bastard.

11. christian says:

When Bush sent out 600 dollars, it wasn’t socialism, right? More like a bribe for Lex…

12. IHeartThatCurtis! says:

Christian: it helped Lex buy his own sibian. Sure; it’s sitting in a corner covered in dust, but K-Stew may ride it one day! AS GOD AS LEXARD’S WITNESS… K-STEW WILL RIDE HIS SIBIAN, AND SHE WILL LIKE IT! GLORY BE TO THE ALL HOLY ALBA!

“I remember very much the iconography and the images and the statues in church were very emotional for me. Just the power of that, and even still — just seeing prayer card, what that image can evoke. I have a lot of friends that are involved in the esoteric, and I know some girls in New York that are also into the supernatural. I don’t feel that I have that gift. But I am leaning towards mysticism… Maybe men are more practical, maybe they don’t give into that as much… And then also, they don’t convene in the same way that women do. But I don’t know, I am not a man, I don’t want to speak for men. For me, I tend to gravitate towards people who are open to those kinds of things. And the idea for my film, White Echo, I guess stemmed from that — I find that the girls in New York are more credible. What is it about the way that they communicate their ideas with the supernatural that I find more credible? And that is where it began. All the characters are also based on friends of mine. I worked with Refinery29 on that film, and found that they really invest in you which is so rare in this industry.”
Chloë Sevigny

“The word I have fallen in love with lately is ‘Hellenic.’ Greek in its mythology. So while everyone is skewing towards the YouTube generation, here we are making two-and-a-half-hour movies and trying to buck the system. It’s become clear to me that we are never going to be a perfect fit with Hollywood; we will always be the renegade Texans running around trying to stir the pot. Really it’s not provocation for the sake of being provocative, but trying to make something that people fall in love with and has staying power. I think people are going to remember Dragged Across Concrete and these other movies decades from now. I do not believe that they will remember some of the stuff that big Hollywood has put out in the last couple of years. You’ve got to look at the independent space to find the movies that have been really special recently. Even though I don’t share the same world-view as some of my colleagues, I certainly respect the hell out of their movies which are way more fascinating than the stuff coming out of the studio system.”
~ Dallas Sonnier