The Superstar Studded Thundercats Movie

Be Sociable, Share!

22 Responses to “The Superstar Studded Thundercats Movie”

1. leahnz says:

that’s bloody brilliant, great send-up.
    (but i can just see it now: some studio exec’s brain synapses will start firing: yeah, thundercats…kids really liked that saturday morning cartoon back in the 80’s…why HAVEN’T we done that LIVE ACTION???!!! lundgren killed in ‘masters of the universe’, we can re-release it as a double-feature with ‘cats’!…thunder, thunder, thunder, thundercats HOOOO! ka-ching!)

2. The Big Perm says:

I wonder if that trailer is a send-up, or does someone like Thundercats so much they wanted to just make a really kick ass trailer for the movie they’d like to see?
    At any rate, this trailer proves that Thundercats will bomb.

3. Martin S says:

The dude has a Superman trailer that is pretty damn good also. I’m impressed that most of his work is the equivalent of rotoscoping in Photoshop, as my first assumption was heavy motion tracking. TCats took over a 1.5 years, apparently. We’re going to be seeing more of this level of work in the very near future.

4. Tofu says:

Looking pretty Hollywood Elsewhere there, David.

5. christian says:

I don’t think this is supposed to be satire, kids.

No idea what that is meant to mean, Tofu.

7. historylover says:

Big Perm: I’m curious why you think that “this trailer proves that Thundercats will bomb”?
    Personally, I believe that many 80s cartoons such as these would, if done by filmmakers who value them, make incredible movies.

8. historylover says:

9. historylover says:

10. historylover says:

Wow – triple post!

11. The Big Perm says:

I think many 80s cartoons could make fine movies. Never saw Transformers but giant robots work. I could see G.I. Joe working with the rigth filmmaker (not sure they got the right filmmaker for that one, so who knows). Thundercats…can’t see it. The very premise is stupid and the look of them sucks. A bunch of cat men! This trailer proves it…the shots of Brad Pitt and Vin Diesel as warrior cats are just awful and embarrassing. Not even Kubrick could make a decent movie out of the battle to defeat Mumra, or however you spell the bad guy. They even have horribly shitty names! Mumra, really?

12. Jeffrey Boam's Doctor says:

Hey Big Perm, Scrooge wants his personality back.
    I know I’ll be labeled a hypocrite and schizophrenic for past comments but that painstakingly executed labour of love brought a smile to this old cynics mug. It highlights the one thing that appears to be missing from todays comic book cine-swindles, and that is a sense of FUN.
    The wormytv guy should get a lawyer and get a claim ready because this thing will stop being a gag and become a reality.
    The reasons Big Perm mentions about why a live action version would never work are exactly why I think it would work. The premise is silly? So is every premise from Star Wars and every comic pop culture film from the past 30yrs. The casting choices this guy made were damn perfect.

13. leahnz says:

of course it’s a send-up, it says right at the end it was made as a technical exercise and for a laugh (well, it actually reads ‘for a laughs’, either a typo or the grammatical gaffe of a non-english-as-first-language maker)

14. Jeffrey Boam's Doctor says:

Yo DP any chance of a BYOB – TOP TEN 08 for people to drop in their lists? Love em or hate we all like to see em.

15. The Big Perm says:

JBD, I have to disagree that this compares in any way to, say, Star Wars. Cat people named Lion-O fighting a space mummy named Mumra is just in a way other league of stupid. They look ridiculous. Who knows, maybe you can say the same thing about Batman or whatever, but I just can’t see any way that you can pull off Thundercats.
    Also, it’s funny that you’d think this trailer stands out from so many others in that it looks fun, seeing as it’s just made out of other parts of trailers and has the exact same beats as every other action trailer out there, right down to that last chorus groan that gets louder until the title explodes onto the screen. What makes it funny is that it looks like just another stupid big action movie, but this time with cats! You could say X-Men 3 and Riddick were “fun,” but they weren’t very good either.

16. BurmaShave says:

His SUPERMAN trailer is underwhelming, except for the idea of Karl Urban as Zod, which is genius wrapped in genius smothered in genius.

17. Tofu says:

David, Wells posted the clip a day before you, that’s all. It had 80,000 hits, so I’m sure plenty of other places did as well. Just ribbing you. 🙂

18. Martin S says:

His Superman trailer is great because the dude did the whole F’ing thing in PShopCS3, which requires serious labor. His rotos of Ang’s Hulk for Darkseid or Hyde from LXG have no apparent matte cuts and are proportional to the scenes, and the Welling shots match very nicely. If this shit was easy, we’d see more of it, but it’s time-consuming and demands an eye for detail.

19. Jeffrey Boam's Doctor says:

Big Perm. To tell you the truth I’m not sure why the idea of cats going Michael Bay on our collective asses appeals to me but it does. The very fact that its stealing beats and subverting them over a goofy premise is what ‘sleighs’ me. Or it simply could be that I’m feeling festive.
    However I do stand by my ‘silly’ generalisation… ” its got this massive hairy thing called a wookie and a gibberish speaking green midget with mental powers helping this leif garrett lookalike battle a guy with a big black helmet. ” sounds silly to me and it sure sounded silly to lots of regular joes who were scratching their 70s heads about its popularity.
    It wasn’t only De Palma who laughed at Star Wars remember.

20. leahnz says:

DID SOMEBODY SAY KARL URBAN???? i am so there

21. The Big Perm says:

Except that Chewbacca and Yoda weren’t the leads.
    Besides, I look at it like this…maybe the concept is goofy. But the actuality of Star Wars was awesome. However, this trailer looks to be about as good as a Thundercats movie could reasonably turn out. And it looks totally stupid.

22. historylover says:

I have to agree with Big Perm. Humans made to look like animals work in a quick-cutting trailer, probably because the shot length and trailer length is short. A full length feature with fuller length shots will leave many with too much time to realize that these recognizable actors are simply wearing make-up. Outside of fanboys, the movie would probably fall apart.
    Would it, however, with unknowns? And why do Beast (Kelsey Grammar) and Mystique work? Full body redos?

leahnz on: BYO Post-JOKER

Hcat on: BYOFall

Stella's Boy on: BYOFall

movieman on: BYOFall

Hcat on: BYOFall

Stella's Boy on: BYOFall

palmtree on: BYO Post-JOKER

movieman on: BYOFall

Stella's Boy on: BYOFall

Hcat on: BYOFall

“I really want to see The Irishman. I’ve heard it’s big brother Martin Scorsese’s masterpiece. But I really can’t find the time. The promotion schedule is so tight, there’s no opportunity to see a three and a half-hour movie. But I really want to see it. In 2017, right before Okja’s New York premiere, I had the chance to go to Scorsese’s office, which is in the DGA building. There’s a lovely screening room there, too, with film prints that he’s collected. I talked to him for about an hour. There’s no movie he hasn’t seen, even Korean films. We talked about what he’s seen and his past work. It was a glorious day. I’ve loved his work since I was in college. Who doesn’t? Anyone involved with movies must feel the same way.”
~ Bong Joon-ho

“But okay, I promise you now that if I ever retire again, I’m going to ensure that I can’t walk it back. I’ll post a series of the most disgusting, offensive, outrageous statements you can ever imagine. That way it will be impossible for me to ever be employed again. No one is going to take my calls. No one is going to want to be seen with me. Oh, it will be scorched earth. I will have torched everything. I’m going to flame out in the most legendary fashion.”
~ Steven Soderbergh