Indie Spirit Nods

Why is it that the only real surprises at the Indy Spirit nominations (brought to you by Sony Pictures Classics this year) were what films qualified and what odd choices were made by committees to shoehorn things in?
The questions that emerge from this morning’s annoucements are, as usual, about the mainstream features that are in the mix and virtually guarenteed to win because of the ISA voting methods, which are open to anyone who joins FIND. As a result, the most popular choices almost always win. Unless Rachel Getting Married pulls off a big surprise, this will be the first year in many with no Oscar BP nominee in the Indie Spirit race.
This year, the big questions are, why is Hurt Locker (a great take on the Iraq War movie and a possible breakout for Summit when it is releaed in Spring 2009) in this year’s race? The simple answer is that it screened at Toronto and that is all that is required to be a nominee. But what possible value is there to anyone in having a film that no one will be able to see again until Sundance 2009 in a competition for last year’s best?
And that brings up the other big question… Milk is nominated for 4 awards, so it must have qualified… but no Picture or Director. Huh? Is the film being penalized by a committee for being at the center of a FIND controversy or alternatively, is it being left out because Focus doesn’t want to be a film that wins Saturday and loses on Sunday?
Of course, that bit of paranoia brings up why Vicky Cristina Barcelona isn’t up for BP or Director either.
In the end, I think that the choice was made to make the Indie Spirits as indie as possible with the foreknowledge that any mainstream movie in the big categories will win… which may also explain the exclusion of The Visitor, which already made its money.
Again, all love to Frozen River and Ballast and my beloved Rachel Getting Married. But I would love to get through one ISA nomination list without wondering why the puzzle pieces don’t seem to fit right.

10 Responses to “Indie Spirit Nods”

1. mutinyco says:

The nominations follow precisely the whole neo-realism/social-realism hard-on the indie community has developed over the past year or so. Boring.
    BTW/ Variety had this funny typo: Dustin Lance, “Black Milk

2. LYT says:

Isn’t it possible to love the acting in Milk without thinking that the direction and production are among the year’s best?

3. Agree, DP. Every year I see less and less great festival/small release films on the list and more and more sorta-indie big films. I mean, I get why they do it, they want the industry to give a shit about the ceremony. It’s the whole FIRST(!) mentality. Indie Spirit Awards were the FIRST(!) to nominate “Milk.” The FIRST(!) to nominate “Rachel getting Married.” Etc.
    But for an industry who sounded the death knell for “independent film” a few months ago, there’s sure alot of those DOA indie films all over this big industry event. And, I’m glad to see a few people I’ve met at festivals on there like Barry Jenkins and Lynn Shelton. But on the flipside, I wish those people and other peoples films had better representation within the big award categories.

Yes, Luke… but for individuals more so than committees.

5. yancyskancy says:

Odd to me that The Visitor got nominated for practically everything except the categories in which it has the best Oscar nod chances – Actor and Sup. Actress.

6. Dignan says:

Jenkins was nominated for Male Lead. No screenplay nomination for McCarthy though. That’s a puzzler.

7. yancyskancy says:

Odd, I thought I doubled checked before I wrote that about Jenkins. Guess the eyes are going.
    Was Foot Fist Way eligible this year? I know it’s dated 2006. Not that Danny McBride had a chance, but that’s a heckuva performance.

8. TMJ says:

LYT –
    Absolutely. MILK is an actor’s showcase. Great work from Hirsch, Franco, Brolin and, of course, Penn. But why Van Sant needs to frame his actor’s in extreme close up (and leave Brolin at the bottom of his picture) is beyond me. Also, Tosca and the second appearance of Wheelchair Boy prevent MILK from being truly great (in my humble opinion).

9. jeffmcm says:

I’m not quite clear on why it’s considered odd that Vicky Cristina Barcelona isn’t on the list for Picture or Director except the obvious – that it was a good movie but not Top 5 good. What am I missing?
    Also, am I right that Slumdog isn’t on here because it’s not an American-made film?

10. sloanish says:

As long as Ballast wins, the puzzle will look just fine.

“We don’t have any idea what the universe is. Wise people have always told us that this is proof you shouldn’t think, because thinking leads you nowhere. You just build over this huge construction of misunderstanding, which is culture. The history of culture is the history of the misunderstandings of great thinkers. So we always have to go back to zero and begin differently. And maybe in that way you have a chance not to understand but at least not to have further misunderstandings. Because this is the other side of this question—Am I really so brave to cancel all human culture? To stop admiring the beauty in human production? It’s very difficult to say no.”
~ László Krasznahorkai

“I have a license to carry in New York. Can you believe that? Nobody knows that, [Applause] somebody attacks, somebody attacks me, oh, they’re gonna be shot. Can you imagine? Somebody says, oh, it is Trump, he’s easy pickings what do you say? Right? Oh, boy. What was the famous movie? No. Remember, no remember where he went around and he sort of after his wife was hurt so badly and kill. What?  I — Honestly, Yeah, right, it’s true, but you have many of them. Famous movie. Somebody. You have many of them. Charles Bronson right the late great Charles Bronson name of the movie come on.  , remember that? Ah, we’re gonna cut you up, sir, we’re gonna cut you up, uh-huh.

Bing!

One of the great movies. Charles Bronson, great, Charles Bronson. Great movies. Today you can’t make that movie because it’s not politically correct, right? It’s not politically correct. But could you imagine with Trump? Somebody says, oh, all these big monsters aren’t around he’s easy pickings and then shoot.”
~ Donald Trump