Confusion Abuse-ion

Crazy-Like-A-Buzzard Nikki Finke and her

Be Sociable, Share!

13 Responses to “Confusion Abuse-ion”

1. Cain says:

Though I rarely ever post a comment, I do read this blog almost once or twice a week, sometimes more, and I did not even know the name Nikki Finke until I saw it here. I’ve visited her site maybe once.
    How many others find these Finke rants revelatory? She’s a loathsome person, a gossip columnist who does far more harm than good. I get it. I mean, I got it.

2. Tom says:

I completely agree. Awards drive the boxoffice, so in the awards season, it’s just another way of advertising. I guess the only difference with the premiere for “Benjamin Button” and “Milk” was—you had to put on a tux? What an outrage of expenditures! No wonder she was fired…

3. Rothchild says:

…didn’t know it existed?

As far as I know, it was always a quality paperback only. From what I can tell on Amazon, this new printing, in hardback, is a first.

5. TVJunkie says:

Years and years ago Los Angeles Magazine (I think) did an article called something like “For Sale, Oscars! Not so cheap” and it covered the money studios shell out every year to try to take the prize. That story went back as far as Mildred Pierce, from what I remember. So, yeah, Nikki? It’s not “news”. And she is far from a journalist.

6. If you don’t want the Dark Knight book or the Watchmen hardcover, I’ll take them.
    And yes, the Watchmen hardcover is a brand new printing. I glanced at it just a week ago in a bookstore.

7. doug r says:

Saw a paperback version of Watchmen at Costco a couple of months back. I bought one, of course.

8. anghus says:

I’ve run every endgame scenario between Nikki and Heat on my TRS-80, and it all ends up with them fucking or killing each other.
    She’s a pox. We know. Your anger only fuels her rhetoric.

9. SJRubinstein says:

The funny thing about Nikki is that she gets embarrassed easily. If she gets something hopelessly incorrect – usually in her box office memo as she doesn’t seem to always know what movies are what – if you post something to that effect in her talkbacks or somewhere else (when she said that “House Bunny” had pissed off the “Girls Next Door,” when actually they were in the movie and supported it, when she announced that “Hot Fuzz” would tank as it would be perceived as the British version of “Reno 911” as she’d never heard of “Shaun of the Dead,” etc.), she will go in and change the article. No, she won’t post the talkback quote because that would acknowledge that she had made a mistake, but she does quietly alter her stories from time to time when caught patently wrong.

10. The Pope says:

And isn’t that Finki’s or for that matter, anyone’s main problem: make a mistake, own up. How difficult is that? I think for the most part, people maintain their respect for you if you admit it. “Thanks for pointing that out… I”m sorry.” Little words which suggest humility… but then again, Hollywood doesn’t allow for the “H” word.

11. The Pope says:

And as soon as I post that, I see my spelling mistake. Finke, not Finki. Sorry!

12. martin says:

Pope, I’m not a big fan of her site, but on a few occasions I have made a note to her about a box office mistake and she replied just like that “sorry, you’re right, I’ll fix it” and she does. I think that the problem is that sometimes she reports on stuff she doesn’t know a whole lot about, her attitude is less of an issue.

13. Cadavra says:

I thought “Finki” was deliberate–it’s quite appropriate!

Geoff on: BYO Post-JOKER

Geoff on: BYO Post-JOKER

SideshowBill on: BYO Post-JOKER

Stella's Boy on: BYO Post-JOKER

Bulldog68 on: BYO Post-JOKER

Hcat on: BYOFall

Stella's Boy on: BYO Post-JOKER

palmtree on: BYO Post-JOKER

Stella's Boy on: BYO Post-JOKER

Bulldog68 on: BYO Post-JOKER

“But okay, I promise you now that if I ever retire again, I’m going to ensure that I can’t walk it back. I’ll post a series of the most disgusting, offensive, outrageous statements you can ever imagine. That way it will be impossible for me to ever be employed again. No one is going to take my calls. No one is going to want to be seen with me. Oh, it will be scorched earth. I will have torched everything. I’m going to flame out in the most legendary fashion.”
~ Steven Soderbergh

I feel strongly connected to young cinephile culture. The thing about filmmaking—and cinephilia—is that you can’t keep hanging out with your own age group as you get older. They drop off, move somewhere. You can’t put together a crew of sixty-somethings. It’s the same for cinephilia: my original set of cinephile friends are watching DVDs at home or delving into 1958 episodes of ‘Gunsmoke,’ something like that. The people who are out there tend to be young, and I happen to be doing the same thing still, so it’s natural that I move in their circles.

In terms of the filmmaking, there was a gear shift: my first movies focused on people around my age, and I followed them for three films. Until The Unspeakable Act, I was using the same actors, not because of an affinity for people at a specific age, but because of my affinity for the actors. I like to work with actors a second time, especially if I don’t feel confident casting a new film. But The Unspeakable Act was a different script, and I had to cast all new people. Even for the older roles, I couldn’t get the people I’d worked with before. But when it was over, the same thing happened: I wanted to work with Tallie again in the worst way, and I started the process all over again.

I think Rohmer did something similar around the time of Perceval and Catherine de HeilbronnHe developed new groups of people that he liked to work with. These gear shifts are natural. Even if you want to follow certain actors to the end of their life (which I kind of do) the variety of ideas that you generate makes it necessary to change. And once you’ve made the change, you’ve got all these new people around.”
~ Dan Sallitt