BYOB – Brave New Week

Be Sociable, Share!

21 Responses to “BYOB – Brave New Week”

1. so how about that, huh? “Yes Men” beat “Seven Pounds” for the number 1 spot at the B.O. still, the earnings were low, being that many people stayed home to really bad weather.

2. Rob says:

Seven Pounds has to be the goofiest movie of the year…and yet I kinda liked it. It’s so balls-out crazy that you almost have to respect it, although I guessed what was coming after about half an hour.

3. sloanish says:

They tell you EVERYTHING in the first half hour of Seven Pounds. Then you’re just waiting for the end, which you already saw.

4. LexG says:

Does anyone know how to obtain one of those full-size Isla Fisher “Confessions of a Shopaholic” standees?

5. dietcock says:

Life size Isla Fisher? Isn’t she a little old for you? Lex, man, you worry me. Shades of Jeff Wells trying to scam Vinessa Shaw nudes.
    (All kidding aside, keep on OWNING into the New Year. You are, without a doubt, my favorite thing about this site and your taste in films and historical knowledge of the medium is pretty much unparalleled.. Merry Xmas)

6. yancyskancy says:

Lex: I was at the FYE on Olive Blvd. in Burbank the other day and they were selling life-size Twilight standees. I’m not sure if the K-Stew one was connected to the Pattinson one, but if so you could easily cut them apart and have her all to yourself.

7. lazarus says:

Lex’s “historical knowledge of the medium is pretty much unparalleled”?
    Right.

8. LexG says:

My public has spoken!!! Awesome.
    Thanks, dietcock, for the kind words, and Merry Christmas/Happy Whatever right back at you.
    Yancy: That is excellent! I’m going to do over my living room with ISLA and K-STEW, Steve Martin in LONELY GUY-style. Maybe I’ll keep the Pattinson side so he can cockblock me even in my cardboard cutout fantasy realm.
    Speaking of Vinessa Shaw: GARDEN PARTY is the worst movie I saw in ’08, by a country mile. Yes, jeff and Kami, way, WAY worse than PROM NIGHT. Which is plenty awful but mostly just vanilla and lame.
    I think one could make a solid case for the Thurman/Wood opus LIFE BEFORE HER EYES, but despite its turgid unpleasantness and sheer boredom, I thought that had a vaguely melancholy, upsetting quality to it, at least in hindsight. And ERW was excellent.

9. LexG says:

Quick question, and I know a lot of you guys are in the know:
    Has anyone, ever, in the history of Hollywood, been more AWESOME than TROY DUFFY?
    Watched OVERNIGHT again tonight (millionth time), and that dude might be my absolute IDOL.
    I want to be the NEW TROY DUFFY.

10. christian says:

I think you are.

11. leahnz says:

lex, you can be the new patrick duffy

12. Prom Night was fantastic, what are you on about Lex? I had so much fun at that movie.

13. LexG says:

WB is yanking all their classic music videos from YouTube??????
    So much for my 4AM Madonna lip syncathons.
    BULLSHIT. MADONNA OWNS.
    What exacly is YouTube thinking lately? In six months, is there gonna be anything left on that once-mighty, galvanizing site but random people’s dumbass webcam rants?
    Who goes to YouTube to watch THAT bullshit?

14. jeffmcm says:

That was at me, Kami, I mentioned Prom Night was the worst movie I had seen this year a few days ago (and stand by it).
    But I don’t doubt there were lots of other terrible movies that I never saw.
    And to be conciliatory, I’d like to praise Lex for being smart and clever (on those occasions when it happens) because he’s just fine and dandy in my book.

15. lazarus says:

Madonna does indeed own, Lex, and I was at her recent Dodger Stadium show to testify in person.
    I’m not a Britney Spears fan, but her cameo appearance got the crowd all riled up, and then Justin Timberlake’s duet with M later really brought down the house.
    The whole concert was a pretty amazing feast for the eyes, and Madonna sang You Must Love Me from Evita about 50x better than she did at the Oscars the year it was nominated.

16. scooterzz says:

mcmahon — i just watched ‘while she was out’…. ‘prom night’ doesn’t look so bad now…

17. Cadavra says:

Lex, how can Madonna OWN? She’s freakin’ FIFTY! That’s more than twice your cutoff age!

18. Joe Leydon says:

Merry Christmas to all. Some day, the Ancient Mariner will tell you all about the Christmas season when Dirty Harry, A Clockwork Orange and Straw Dogs were all holiday season releases. Ho, ho, ho.

19. movieman says:

I remember it well, Joe…
    Xmas ’71 also brought us Polanski’s “Macbeth” (ho-ho-ho indeed!), Ken Russell’s “The Boy Friend” (completing his 1971 trifecta that also included “The Music Lovers” and “The Devils”), Connery’s return to Bond-age (“Diamonds Are Forever”), Warren Beatty and Goldie Hawn’s pre-“Shampoo” teaming in Richard Brooks’ improbably entertaining “$,” “Sometimes a Great Notion” (Paul Newman’s directorial follow-up to the Oscar-nominated “Rachel, Rachel”) and Hal Ashby’s “Harold and Maude.”

20. jeffmcm says:

Can somebody explain what it is about Benjamin Button that Roger Ebert doesn’t like? His review doesn’t make sense to me (I haven’t seen the movie, either, so maybe that’s why).

21. Chucky in Jersey says:

WB didn’t pull those videos off YouTube. Warner Music Group — spun off from Time Warner a year or so ago — did so at the behest of the RIAA.

“I really want to see The Irishman. I’ve heard it’s big brother Martin Scorsese’s masterpiece. But I really can’t find the time. The promotion schedule is so tight, there’s no opportunity to see a three and a half-hour movie. But I really want to see it. In 2017, right before Okja’s New York premiere, I had the chance to go to Scorsese’s office, which is in the DGA building. There’s a lovely screening room there, too, with film prints that he’s collected. I talked to him for about an hour. There’s no movie he hasn’t seen, even Korean films. We talked about what he’s seen and his past work. It was a glorious day. I’ve loved his work since I was in college. Who doesn’t? Anyone involved with movies must feel the same way.”
~ Bong Joon-ho

“But okay, I promise you now that if I ever retire again, I’m going to ensure that I can’t walk it back. I’ll post a series of the most disgusting, offensive, outrageous statements you can ever imagine. That way it will be impossible for me to ever be employed again. No one is going to take my calls. No one is going to want to be seen with me. Oh, it will be scorched earth. I will have torched everything. I’m going to flame out in the most legendary fashion.”
~ Steven Soderbergh