PS The Hurricane Is A GOP Blessing

No uncomfortable comparisons to the Dems… they can’t be blamed for an act of god.
No Bush. No Ahnuld. No problem.

18 Responses to “PS The Hurricane Is A GOP Blessing”

1. adorian says:

The irony is almost too much to endure. That fundamentalist preacher wanted people to pray that a storm would disrupt Obama’s stadium speech. Didn’t happen. Great weather, great speech. Now, a storm is disrupting the plans and schedules of the Republican convention. It makes you wonder whose prayers God really listens to.

2. yancyskancy says:

Um, I think Michael Moore’s statement proves that it’s best to leave God out of this one. He can’t gloat about the inconvenience it’s causing the RNC out of one side of his mouth and express concern for N.O. residents out of the other.

3. jeffmcm says:

I’m sure, given the choice, that the GOP would prefer to have four nights of speeches and free advertising.

4. jeffmcm says:

Oh, and I’m sure I disagree with him on many issues, but damn, Bobby Jindal looks very, very competent.

5. SaveFarris says:

Jindal’s so competent, some of it is rubbing off on Ray Nagin. That’s no mean feat.
    Jindal’s been all over this thing since Tuesday sounding warning bells and keeping the public up to date. The difference from 2005 is staggering and shows just why Republicans see him as a rising star.

6. mutinyco says:

The GOP is now officially in the midst of “Gustavication” of the convention.
    There are plans to center both Palin’s and McCain’s speeches around the events of the hurricane. Furthermore, the GOP is going to try to portray McCain as Commander in Chief during a crisis…
    …to the point where he may even deliver his acceptance speech from the disaster zone…

7. I’ve always liked Michael Moore as a filmmaker, writer, and general liberal idealist, but wow, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him look or sound worse than he did on Friday night’s Countdown With Keith Olbermann. You could tell that Keith was taken aback, especially by his first rant about the new storm, Gustov, somehow proving that there was a God (as if the likely to be catastrophic storm was overall a good thing because it undermines the GOP during the week of its convention).
    Aside from his opening rant, he was completely ill at ease, seeming half-dressed and appearing distracted, completely unprepared, and caught off guard by every relatively obvious question. Granted, he’s never been the best talk show guest (he has a habit of getting energetic and angry on TV, but he excels when he’s wry-ishly low key and folksy in his criticisms), but 90% of the people on this blog could have handled themselves better then Moore did on Friday.
    I think he just cost himself an occasional guest appearance on the Rachel Maddow show. Speaking of which, I’ve found Olbermann’s paternalistic pride towards Maddow to be somewhat endearing, with that glow of a teacher whose favorite student just got into Harvard partly on his letter of recommendation. For all the rumors of him being a tyrannical glory hog, he has literally been beaming with joy every time Maddow has shown up in the last two weeks.

8. “It makes you wonder whose prayers God really listens to.”
    No ones, because he/she/it doesn’t exist?

9. IOIOIOI says:

I hope the GOP have enough class to not make a HURRICANE POSSIBLY DESTROYING A CITY all about THEM. If they are this classless. I hope it CHINATOWN’s McCain’s presidential hopes.

10. Joe Leydon says:

Scott: Have to agree with you. Moore made a stupid Gustav comment — KO appeared momentarily aghast — and then bumbled his way through the rest of the segment. He seemed completely off his game, as though he had been awakened from a deep slumber only minutes before the interview started. And, mind you, I, too, am generally an admirer of the guy.

11. christian says:

Moore’s not always the best off the cuff speaker.

12. Chicago48 says:

Michael Moore needs to go on a long vacation. He’s useless.

13. mutinyco says:

Much ado about nothing. NO is fine. The GOP lost a day of their convention.

14. christian says:

Meanwhile the FBI has decided it can raid your home and point guns at your if you’re in town to protest the RNC. Or if you live there and are a vegan. Glenn Greenwald has it all:
    Just review what happened yesterday and today. Homes of college-aid protesters were raided by rifle-wielding police forces. Journalists were forcibly detained at gun point. Lawyers on the scene to represent the detainees were handcuffed. Computers, laptops, journals, diaries, and political pamphlets were seized from people’s homes. And all of this occurred against U.S. citizens, without a single act of violence having taken place, and nothing more serious than traffic blockage even alleged by authorities to have been planned.
    This is fascism and its media silence reveals much about who we are today and why the GOP must be removed from power.

15. LYT says:

Der Governator would have helped them. Bush and Cheney, not so much.

16. Chucky in Jersey says:

Schwarzenegger is not at the RNC because state legislators back in Cali have yet to pass a budget.

17. christian says:

I still think Ahnold will drop by now that his finger is in the Palin wind. He’s such an opportunist flip-flopper and attention-whore.

leahnz on: Weekend BYOING

leahnz on: Trailering CATS (2019) (Tugger warning)

Sideshow Bill on: Weekend BYOING

palmtree on: Weekend BYOING

movieman on: Seen anything TWICE at theaters this year?

movieman on: Weekend BYOING

Sideshow Bill on: Weekend BYOING

G Spot 3000 on: State of The Industry: Feb 2019

movieman on: Weekend BYOING

Sideshow Bill on: Weekend BYOING

“I remember very much the iconography and the images and the statues in church were very emotional for me. Just the power of that, and even still — just seeing prayer card, what that image can evoke. I have a lot of friends that are involved in the esoteric, and I know some girls in New York that are also into the supernatural. I don’t feel that I have that gift. But I am leaning towards mysticism… Maybe men are more practical, maybe they don’t give into that as much… And then also, they don’t convene in the same way that women do. But I don’t know, I am not a man, I don’t want to speak for men. For me, I tend to gravitate towards people who are open to those kinds of things. And the idea for my film, White Echo, I guess stemmed from that — I find that the girls in New York are more credible. What is it about the way that they communicate their ideas with the supernatural that I find more credible? And that is where it began. All the characters are also based on friends of mine. I worked with Refinery29 on that film, and found that they really invest in you which is so rare in this industry.”
Chloë Sevigny

“The word I have fallen in love with lately is ‘Hellenic.’ Greek in its mythology. So while everyone is skewing towards the YouTube generation, here we are making two-and-a-half-hour movies and trying to buck the system. It’s become clear to me that we are never going to be a perfect fit with Hollywood; we will always be the renegade Texans running around trying to stir the pot. Really it’s not provocation for the sake of being provocative, but trying to make something that people fall in love with and has staying power. I think people are going to remember Dragged Across Concrete and these other movies decades from now. I do not believe that they will remember some of the stuff that big Hollywood has put out in the last couple of years. You’ve got to look at the independent space to find the movies that have been really special recently. Even though I don’t share the same world-view as some of my colleagues, I certainly respect the hell out of their movies which are way more fascinating than the stuff coming out of the studio system.”
~ Dallas Sonnier