Z

Chef Is Dead… Long Live Chef

An iPhone type in is hardly enough of a chance to celebrate a bad mutha Scientologist (hush yo mouth) like Isaac Hayes.
There are some great voices in this generation, but we haven’t really found the deep, threateningly sexy, makes you happy just hearing it voices like Hayes’, Jones’, White’s, Rawls’…
I can dig it. I thought the Stone/Parker to Hayes’ exit was one of the crueler things I have ever seen on air. They were right that he was being a hypocrite, but using his own voice against him… brutal.
Meanwhile, I wonder whether the voice of God, Mr Freeman, has some serious connections upstairs, having stayed out of the Rule of Three.
I raise a big, salty, chocolate ball in your honor. Few artists get to leave absolutely indelible marks in more than one medium. Hayes left us Chef, Shaft, and songs to which we can all make sweet love.

16 Responses to “Chef Is Dead… Long Live Chef”

1. RoyBatty says:

Considering the about face Hayes did, he deserved EXACTLY what he got from Stone/Parker. It was also a frightening reminder of just how much of a brainwashing cult Scientology is for a bad ass like Hayes to flip flop that black & white in the span of a couple of months.
    You realize, you just fucking jinxed Freeman, right? As I write this the blood clot from his banged up ribs is making it’s way to aneurysm city.
    The “Rule of Three” lately usually follows the guideline of different medium, same level of celebrity. Freeman is safe because he’s A, much bigger and B, from film (as Mac is; Hayes is music).
    No, the perfect fit would be Arsenio Hall as someone mostly famous for TV with a foot in film.
    But, until this thing blows over, both Delroy Lindo and Bill Cosby should stay home for the next week…

2. TadAllagash says:

I disagree with RoyBatty. I found that episode of South Park hard to watch (if par for the course for those two).
    That said, Issac Hayes leaves a much larger mark, in my opinion in the world of music. The South Park thing was nice, but Matt and trey didn’t make Issac. That role was a nice button on a long and important career and LEGACY in music.
    Few of today’s musicians will leave us with as much as Hayes, Curtis Mayfield and Barry White have. The reinterpreted soul in a way that lead to wah-wah funk and disco.
    God Bless Issac Hayes.
    PS – I think Bernie Brillstein’s passing, along with Bernie Mac’s, make this the last of a THREE.

3. Martin S says:

The Duke of New York is A#1

4. TadAllagash says:

Wow. Both Bernie Mac and Issac Hayes are in the upcoming Fall release SOUL MEN.
    That feature just became a lot higher profile.

5. IOIOIOI says:

I am with Tad and Mr. S on this one. The brother did my city proud, and Matt and Trey showed themselves to be the smeckles they can be.

6. No mention of one of the best Oscar wins… ever? The fact that “Theme from Shaft” won still amazes me.

7. LexG says:

The Duke of New York is such a classic, awesome villain — the wardrobe, the car with the DISCO BALLS, that speech to his crew from on high about rolling “down the 69th Street Bridge, on OUR WAY TO FREEDOM,” then Hayes all twitching during the final car chase before getting laid out by The President…
    Such an iconic movie for those of us of a certain age, and Hayes’ contribution was absolutely huge. And the SHAFT song, and that title sequence… just excellent.

8. yancyskancy says:

Hell, his legacy would be assured if had retired or died after co-writing all those great Sam and Dave songs. RIP

9. Bernie Schwartz… keep that head down.

10. Rothchild says:

Hayes will be missed, but it’s incredibly stupid and hypocritical to be on a show that rips everything a new one and then to suddenly be pissed, after the fact as well, when they mock your belief system.

11. tfresca says:

I know you don’t like Roger very much but he’s all over this Isaac Hayes thing. Interesting read today.

12. sky_capitan says:

That’s actually a very interesting read from Friedman. It changes my impression of Hayes and what happened to him.

Yeah… Roger’s one area of actual expertise is the music business.
    That said, the whole Hayes defense on the South Park thing and Stone’s alleged comments to him don’t actually match what happened. I would be wary of trusting it.
    And of course, Hayes not recognizing Roger is the key moment of deterioration in the man’s life… oy.
    But there is some good stuff in there.

14. Triple Option says:

He was by no means a crooner but Mystikal I thought could’ve been one with a “threateningly sexy voice.” He’d spit rhymes w/a real raw sexual engery or powerful furvor but it seemed honest and unabashed not crude or raunchy. He wasn’t smooth like Hayes but I thought he could’ve been one to trademark his voice. His crimes were too serious to hear his strong masculine voice and not be distrubed by the sexual undertone.

15. Rothchild says:

“Neither it seems, was Bernie Mac.”
    What does this even mean? Is Roger saying that Bernie wasn’t up for shooting Soul Men because he was going to get pneumonia in the future?

CATHERINE LACEY: Do you think that your writer DNA was sort of shaped by how your family was displaced by the Nazi regime before you were born?
RENATA ADLER: It’s funny that you should mention that because I think it affects a lot else, specifically being a refugee. I wasn’t born there. I didn’t experience any of it. But they were refugees. So then I was thinking of this business of being a refugee, no matter in what sense.

Prenatal refugee.
Prenatal refugee and actually postnatal refugee. And I thought there are probably things in common between being a child and being a refugee and being an anthropologist.

It gives you a sense of curiosity.
But also a complete displacement. You’ve got to read the situation. You’re the new kid in school all the time. But I wasn’t aware of it then. I’m aware of it now because language affects you differently, or not. But I used to talk to Mike Nichols about it because he was a refugee. Do you envision an audience when you write? Do you envision a particular person?

Every once in a while I think: Now, what would Mike say to that?

There’s that idea that when you’re blocked, you can always just write as if it was a letter to one specific person.
Oh, that’s good. That’s a wonderful idea. Mine is more in terms of criticism. If someone was to say, “I know what that is. Do you really want to do that?” But anyway, about Mike and his attitude toward language, I remember him saying—it was a question of whether something written was fresh or not—and he would ask, “Why not smell it?” Which, from an English speaker’s point of view, is hysterical.

~ Renata Adler and Catherine Lacey In Conversation

“Oh it was just hellish. This is the worst thing that ever happened to me. It would be stupid for me to say that I didn’t know what I was getting into. It has taken me five years to decide on a first film and I always held out for something like this. The lesson to be learned is that you can’t take on an enterprise of this size and scope if you don’t have a movie like The Terminator or Jaws behind you. Because when everybody’s wringing their handkerchiefs and sweating and puking blood over the money, it’s very nice to be able to say, ‘This is the guy who directed the biggest grossing movie of all time, sit down, shut up and feel lucky that you’ve got him.’ It’s another thing when you are there and you’re going ‘Trust me, this is really what I believe in,’ and they turn round and say ‘Well, who the hell is this guy?’ If I make ten shitty movies, I’ll deserve the flak and if I go on to make 10 great ones, this’ll probably be looked upon as my first bungled masterpiece.”
~ David Fincher, 1992