Chef Is Dead… Long Live Chef

An iPhone type in is hardly enough of a chance to celebrate a bad mutha Scientologist (hush yo mouth) like Isaac Hayes.
There are some great voices in this generation, but we haven’t really found the deep, threateningly sexy, makes you happy just hearing it voices like Hayes’, Jones’, White’s, Rawls’…
I can dig it. I thought the Stone/Parker to Hayes’ exit was one of the crueler things I have ever seen on air. They were right that he was being a hypocrite, but using his own voice against him… brutal.
Meanwhile, I wonder whether the voice of God, Mr Freeman, has some serious connections upstairs, having stayed out of the Rule of Three.
I raise a big, salty, chocolate ball in your honor. Few artists get to leave absolutely indelible marks in more than one medium. Hayes left us Chef, Shaft, and songs to which we can all make sweet love.

16 Responses to “Chef Is Dead… Long Live Chef”

1. RoyBatty says:

Considering the about face Hayes did, he deserved EXACTLY what he got from Stone/Parker. It was also a frightening reminder of just how much of a brainwashing cult Scientology is for a bad ass like Hayes to flip flop that black & white in the span of a couple of months.
    You realize, you just fucking jinxed Freeman, right? As I write this the blood clot from his banged up ribs is making it’s way to aneurysm city.
    The “Rule of Three” lately usually follows the guideline of different medium, same level of celebrity. Freeman is safe because he’s A, much bigger and B, from film (as Mac is; Hayes is music).
    No, the perfect fit would be Arsenio Hall as someone mostly famous for TV with a foot in film.
    But, until this thing blows over, both Delroy Lindo and Bill Cosby should stay home for the next week…

2. TadAllagash says:

I disagree with RoyBatty. I found that episode of South Park hard to watch (if par for the course for those two).
    That said, Issac Hayes leaves a much larger mark, in my opinion in the world of music. The South Park thing was nice, but Matt and trey didn’t make Issac. That role was a nice button on a long and important career and LEGACY in music.
    Few of today’s musicians will leave us with as much as Hayes, Curtis Mayfield and Barry White have. The reinterpreted soul in a way that lead to wah-wah funk and disco.
    God Bless Issac Hayes.
    PS – I think Bernie Brillstein’s passing, along with Bernie Mac’s, make this the last of a THREE.

3. Martin S says:

The Duke of New York is A#1

4. TadAllagash says:

Wow. Both Bernie Mac and Issac Hayes are in the upcoming Fall release SOUL MEN.
    That feature just became a lot higher profile.

5. IOIOIOI says:

I am with Tad and Mr. S on this one. The brother did my city proud, and Matt and Trey showed themselves to be the smeckles they can be.

6. No mention of one of the best Oscar wins… ever? The fact that “Theme from Shaft” won still amazes me.

7. LexG says:

The Duke of New York is such a classic, awesome villain — the wardrobe, the car with the DISCO BALLS, that speech to his crew from on high about rolling “down the 69th Street Bridge, on OUR WAY TO FREEDOM,” then Hayes all twitching during the final car chase before getting laid out by The President…
    Such an iconic movie for those of us of a certain age, and Hayes’ contribution was absolutely huge. And the SHAFT song, and that title sequence… just excellent.

8. yancyskancy says:

Hell, his legacy would be assured if had retired or died after co-writing all those great Sam and Dave songs. RIP

9. Bernie Schwartz… keep that head down.

10. Rothchild says:

Hayes will be missed, but it’s incredibly stupid and hypocritical to be on a show that rips everything a new one and then to suddenly be pissed, after the fact as well, when they mock your belief system.

11. tfresca says:

I know you don’t like Roger very much but he’s all over this Isaac Hayes thing. Interesting read today.

12. sky_capitan says:

That’s actually a very interesting read from Friedman. It changes my impression of Hayes and what happened to him.

Yeah… Roger’s one area of actual expertise is the music business.
    That said, the whole Hayes defense on the South Park thing and Stone’s alleged comments to him don’t actually match what happened. I would be wary of trusting it.
    And of course, Hayes not recognizing Roger is the key moment of deterioration in the man’s life… oy.
    But there is some good stuff in there.

14. Triple Option says:

He was by no means a crooner but Mystikal I thought could’ve been one with a “threateningly sexy voice.” He’d spit rhymes w/a real raw sexual engery or powerful furvor but it seemed honest and unabashed not crude or raunchy. He wasn’t smooth like Hayes but I thought he could’ve been one to trademark his voice. His crimes were too serious to hear his strong masculine voice and not be distrubed by the sexual undertone.

15. Rothchild says:

“Neither it seems, was Bernie Mac.”
    What does this even mean? Is Roger saying that Bernie wasn’t up for shooting Soul Men because he was going to get pneumonia in the future?

“Let me try and be as direct as I possibly can with you on this. There was no relationship to repair. I didn’t intend for Harvey to buy and release The Immigrant – I thought it was a terrible idea. And I didn’t think he would want the film, and I didn’t think he would like the film. He bought the film without me knowing! He bought it from the equity people who raised the money for me in the States. And I told them it was a terrible idea, but I had no say over the matter. So they sold it to him without my say-so, and with me thinking it was a terrible idea. I was completely correct, but I couldn’t do anything about it. It was not my preference, it was not my choice, I did not want that to happen, I have no relationship with Harvey. So, it’s not like I repaired some relationship, then he screwed me again, and I’m an idiot for trusting him twice! Like I say, you try to distance yourself as much as possible from the immediate response to a movie. With The Immigrant I had final cut. So he knew he couldn’t make me change it. But he applied all the pressure he could, including shelving the film.”
James Gray

“I’m an unusual producer because I control the destiny of a lot of the films I’ve done. Most of them are in perfect states of restoration and preservation and distribution, and I aim to keep them in distribution. HanWay Films, which is my sales company, has a 500-film catalogue, which is looked after and tended like a garden. I’m still looking after my films in the catalogue and trying to get other people to look after their films, which we represent intellectually, to try to keep them alive. A film has to be run through a projector to be alive, unfortunately, and those electric shadows are few and far between now. It’s very hard to go and see films in a movie house. I was always involved with the sales and marketing of my films, right up from The Shout onwards. I’ve had good periods, but I also had a best period because the film business was in its best period then. You couldn’t make The Last Emperor today. You couldn’t make The Sheltering Sky today. You couldn’t make those films anymore as independent films. There are neither the resources nor the vision within the studios to go to them and say, “I want to make a film about China with no stars in it.”Then, twenty years ago, I thought, “OK, I’m going to sell my own films but I don’t want to make it my own sales company.” I wanted it to be for me but I wanted to make it open for every other producer, so they don’t feel that they make a film but I get the focus. So, it’s a company that is my business and I’m involved with running it in a certain way, but I’m not seen as a competitor with other people that use it. It’s used by lots of different producers apart from me. When I want to use it, however, it’s there for me and I suppose I’m planning to continue making all my films to be sold by HanWay. I don’t have to, but I do because it’s in my building and the marketing’s here, and I can do it like that. Often, it sounds like I’m being easy about things, but it’s much more difficult than it sounds. It’s just that I’ve been at it for a long time and there’s lots of fat and security around my business. I know how to make films, but it’s not easy—it’s become a very exacting life.”
~ Producer Jeremy Thomas