BYOB – The Political One (Nomination By Proclamation)

Be Sociable, Share!

8 Responses to “BYOB – The Political One (Nomination By Proclamation)”

1. mutinyco says:

Did anybody else catch Addicted to Love being played after Clinton’s speech? At first, the image in my head of Robert Palmer and those identical mannequins as his backup band seemed out of place at a political convention. But then again, it was Bill Clinton…

2. IOIOIOI says:

The Rising being played is rather apt.

3. christian says:

Gotta say, Bill delivered. And Kerry RAWKED. Biden kept it short, sweet and passionate. For the first time, I feel we might have a shot against the GOP.

4. Cadavra says:

Christian, never underestimate Americans’ willingness to vote against their own best interests. If Obama does manage to triumph over the smears, election fraud and race-baiting, few on this planet will be more surprised than me.

5. LexG says:

If Oboring could wrap that speech up by 8pm pst tonight, it would be much appreciated. Tired of this shit throwing off my tv schedule.
    Since I doubt he’ll be brief, what’s the best guess on how long he’ll go over? 20, 30 minutes?

6. Chucky in Jersey says:

I smell a homegrown “Triumph of the Will”.

7. LexG says:

OK now I thought of something that would OWN.
    Yeah, that speech was admittedly pretty good by just about any objective standard… But when they were showing the audience all enraptured I thought of some shit that would RULE.
    Like imagine if some candidate was up there just owning the audience like that, giving this brilliant inspirational speech and the faithful were out there crying and energized…
    That would have been an AWESOME time to do something cool like ask out Jessica Biel or some shit. HELLS YEAH. Like dropping all your Talking Points and FREEDOM and CHANGE and WE DESERVE BETTER and GOVERNMENT GOVERNMENT blah blah blah.
    Then he could just be like “Jessica Biel what the fuck is up hotness??? Jessica Biel, RECOGNIZE!” Or like blah blah blah, “HEY ROSARIO DAWSON, want to go to Outback Steakhouse? YEP YEP.”
    Good idea.

8. christian says:

LexG, can’t you just TIVO all that awful TV pap that is crowding out your actual brain?

“But okay, I promise you now that if I ever retire again, I’m going to ensure that I can’t walk it back. I’ll post a series of the most disgusting, offensive, outrageous statements you can ever imagine. That way it will be impossible for me to ever be employed again. No one is going to take my calls. No one is going to want to be seen with me. Oh, it will be scorched earth. I will have torched everything. I’m going to flame out in the most legendary fashion.”
~ Steven Soderbergh

I feel strongly connected to young cinephile culture. The thing about filmmaking—and cinephilia—is that you can’t keep hanging out with your own age group as you get older. They drop off, move somewhere. You can’t put together a crew of sixty-somethings. It’s the same for cinephilia: my original set of cinephile friends are watching DVDs at home or delving into 1958 episodes of ‘Gunsmoke,’ something like that. The people who are out there tend to be young, and I happen to be doing the same thing still, so it’s natural that I move in their circles.

In terms of the filmmaking, there was a gear shift: my first movies focused on people around my age, and I followed them for three films. Until The Unspeakable Act, I was using the same actors, not because of an affinity for people at a specific age, but because of my affinity for the actors. I like to work with actors a second time, especially if I don’t feel confident casting a new film. But The Unspeakable Act was a different script, and I had to cast all new people. Even for the older roles, I couldn’t get the people I’d worked with before. But when it was over, the same thing happened: I wanted to work with Tallie again in the worst way, and I started the process all over again.

I think Rohmer did something similar around the time of Perceval and Catherine de HeilbronnHe developed new groups of people that he liked to work with. These gear shifts are natural. Even if you want to follow certain actors to the end of their life (which I kind of do) the variety of ideas that you generate makes it necessary to change. And once you’ve made the change, you’ve got all these new people around.”
~ Dan Sallitt