BYOB – The Political One (Nomination By Proclamation)

8 Responses to “BYOB – The Political One (Nomination By Proclamation)”

1. mutinyco says:

Did anybody else catch Addicted to Love being played after Clinton’s speech? At first, the image in my head of Robert Palmer and those identical mannequins as his backup band seemed out of place at a political convention. But then again, it was Bill Clinton…

2. IOIOIOI says:

The Rising being played is rather apt.

3. christian says:

Gotta say, Bill delivered. And Kerry RAWKED. Biden kept it short, sweet and passionate. For the first time, I feel we might have a shot against the GOP.

4. Cadavra says:

Christian, never underestimate Americans’ willingness to vote against their own best interests. If Obama does manage to triumph over the smears, election fraud and race-baiting, few on this planet will be more surprised than me.

5. LexG says:

If Oboring could wrap that speech up by 8pm pst tonight, it would be much appreciated. Tired of this shit throwing off my tv schedule.
    Since I doubt he’ll be brief, what’s the best guess on how long he’ll go over? 20, 30 minutes?

6. Chucky in Jersey says:

I smell a homegrown “Triumph of the Will”.

7. LexG says:

OK now I thought of something that would OWN.
    Yeah, that speech was admittedly pretty good by just about any objective standard… But when they were showing the audience all enraptured I thought of some shit that would RULE.
    Like imagine if some candidate was up there just owning the audience like that, giving this brilliant inspirational speech and the faithful were out there crying and energized…
    That would have been an AWESOME time to do something cool like ask out Jessica Biel or some shit. HELLS YEAH. Like dropping all your Talking Points and FREEDOM and CHANGE and WE DESERVE BETTER and GOVERNMENT GOVERNMENT blah blah blah.
    Then he could just be like “Jessica Biel what the fuck is up hotness??? Jessica Biel, RECOGNIZE!” Or like blah blah blah, “HEY ROSARIO DAWSON, want to go to Outback Steakhouse? YEP YEP.”
    Good idea.

8. christian says:

LexG, can’t you just TIVO all that awful TV pap that is crowding out your actual brain?

“The word I have fallen in love with lately is ‘Hellenic.’ Greek in its mythology. So while everyone is skewing towards the YouTube generation, here we are making two-and-a-half-hour movies and trying to buck the system. It’s become clear to me that we are never going to be a perfect fit with Hollywood; we will always be the renegade Texans running around trying to stir the pot. Really it’s not provocation for the sake of being provocative, but trying to make something that people fall in love with and has staying power. I think people are going to remember Dragged Across Concrete and these other movies decades from now. I do not believe that they will remember some of the stuff that big Hollywood has put out in the last couple of years. You’ve got to look at the independent space to find the movies that have been really special recently. Even though I don’t share the same world-view as some of my colleagues, I certainly respect the hell out of their movies which are way more fascinating than the stuff coming out of the studio system.”
~ Dallas Sonnier

“My first objective relationship in life was with the camera. I didn’t understand anything but then I realized the camera is my friend. It doesn’t lie to me. It doesn’t manipulate me. It only reports what I’m doing. And therefore, for me to work with a camera and the camera to be directed by an artist, a craftsman, someone who knows what he or she wants, I couldn’t ask for anything more.”
~ Elliot Gould